Black Panther (2018)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Listening to the soundtrack on its own now, I'm really starting to dig it.

Score is really good too.

Someone mentioned it before, but the chemistry between Lupito's character and T'Challa is weak yo. like it was forced on the audience when ever T'Challa was teased about freezing. I do not ship them.

Shuri is queen tho.

Remember when Snyder was making fun of Marvel back in 2008:

The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!

Now a Black Panther film has made more than his fucking Justice League film in a matter of 4 days domestically. Go sink to the depths of hell Zack.£

cooldude wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 9:29 pm
Cilogy wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 7:55 pm
prowlercomesaround wrote:
February 19th, 2018, 7:08 pm

Concerning the subtextual stuff - asking as a historian/africanist who's not even remotely interested in the superhero genre:
From what I've been able to gather about this is that it's politically grounded af and doesn't shy away from dealing in more than abstractions when employing metaphors for complex political debates. But at it's core, is it portraying western colonialism/imperialism as the main-cause-of-all-bad-in-the-world or is it problematising globalisation in general? Like, this Wakanda nation, is it a utopia corrupted by outside parties (i.e. western politicians), or is there an internal/external dynamic at hand? I'm mainly interested in seeing this because of its cast, and I appreciate commentaries on political issues, but I don't want to get a political-historical agenda showed down my throat.
It doesn't. Watch it.
Also, I think, more than anything, this film explores what it means to be African. Its a story that celebrates the culture, power and beauty of Africa. It showcased diverse perspectives, like everyone was allowed to have a unique approach that came from somewhere genuine, even when characters took different path for the same goals. It wasn’t politically homogeneous.
Sounds great. I need to see it then.

Master Virgo wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 6:45 am

The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!

Now a Black Panther film has made more than his fucking Justice League film in a matter of 4 days domestically. Go sink to the depths of hell Zack.£
that's what happens when you make a wizard angry

Master Virgo wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 6:45 am

I don’t know about depths (that’s reserved for pope and the likes), but he’s (at least) in the third circle after his daughter took her life.
the_red_ninja wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 5:10 am
Someone mentioned it before, but the chemistry between Lupito's character and T'Challa is weak yo. like it was forced on the audience whezn ever T'Challa was teased about freezing. I do not ship them.

Shuri is queen tho.
Yes, on both accounts. Watching them kiss felt awkward.

Ray Fisher @rehsifyar
Run run run to see Black Panther! It’s the perfect blend of comics and conscious. Thanks @ryancoogler and the entire crew for changing the game! #BlackPanther #BORGLIFE #LoveRay

£

we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we're not careful
thank god we got 3

i'm seeing this on Thursday.

Ruth wrote:
February 20th, 2018, 11:48 am
we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we're not careful
thank god we got 3

i'm seeing this on Thursday.
looking forward to your thoughts.

virgo when aer you gong?

-Vader