Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Last week, a report surfaced that Ang Lee might possibly direct an adaptation of the Iraq War novel Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk as his next film instead of his 3D boxing movie that he’s been developing since last year. Today, that news has been confirmed, as Deadline reports that Lee will indeed be directing the Iraq War satire as his Life of Pi follow-up. This will be Lee’s first film after winning the Best Director Oscar, and it marks a fitting genre change for the versatile filmmaker. Lee has excelled at martial arts films (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), love stories (Brokeback Mountain), and even costume dramas (Sense and Sensibility), so why not tackle a satirical picture about Iraq war veterans? Based on the novel by Ben Fountain, the story takes place in Texas and follows the surviving members of a squad of soldiers as they embark on a media-intensive “Victory Tour” at Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys.
Lee will be directing Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk for TriStar Pictures, with production scheduled to begin in the spring. Lee continues to work on his boxing film at Universal, but even though they have a script by Peter Morgan, they’re still hammering out the budget, visual effects, and look of that film. The filmmaker was eager to get behind the camera and Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk apparently sparked his interest as a movie he could tackle right away. Slumdog Millionaire and The Hunger Games: Catching Fire scribe Simon Beaufoy penned the screenplay.
http://collider.com/ang-lee-billy-lynns ... time-walk/

This could be interesting. Ang Lee has done excellent work in his career and I'm certainly excited to see his next project.

Gay cowboy sex or GTFO

Controversial opinion: Outside of Brokeback Mountain, I think Ang Lee is overrated.

BlairCo wrote:Controversial opinion: Outside of Brokeback Mountain, I think Ang Lee is overrated.

But, but... Crouching Tiger...

BlairCo wrote:Controversial opinion: Outside of Brokeback Mountain, I think Ang Lee is overrated.
Well, I certainly don't agree

I’m currently at work on a film that will be directed by Ang Lee, who has won three Academy Awards, most recently for "Life of Pi," based on a novel called "Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk," and that starts shooting in April.
http://www.thedp.com/article/2015/03/q- ... marc-platt

The Ice Storm and Sense and Sensibility are brilliant. The Wedding Banquet and Pushing Hands are very good too. Lust, Caution is quite interesting, Crouching Tiger is a unique experience... Ride with the Devil and Hulk are honourable failures. The only really risible film on his resume is Taking Woodstock.

So... no? I mean he's not a genius but he's certainly adventurous and he absolutely knows what he's doing.

Thoughts on Life of Pi Armand?

Panapaok wrote:Thoughts on Life of Pi Armand?
Eh. Nice to look at but didn't do much for me beyond that.