Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Eyes are just a window into the brain. It’s one of the best lightsaber duels in all of Star Wars, to go into ‘everything wrong with TLJ duel scene’ without thinking about what sort of emotion it’s supposed to generate in a viewer is a false view into the scene.🕷️

@Cilogy: Like RLM says, you can't blame them too much considering how impractical those helmets are. You'd just assume they'd do more takes to eliminate most of those issues. It's also made a bit worse considering Rian's emphasis on how that shot was one he thinks they got perfectly.

@m4st4: Not really. There's very little emotion in that specific part of the scene (the fight). The two characters we care about are teaming up and fighting against faceless mercs. I don't care about them succeeding because I know they will. Nothing is changed by the fight. The emotion, attachments to the characters, and tension all come to a head in the scenes immediately before and after the fight rather than the fight itself. I'd argue it's one of the most insignificant lightsaber duels in the series. The Kylo v Luke duel is the better one in this film due to the significance and emotion it "generates in a viewer."

m4st4 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:00 pm
Eyes are just a window into the brain. It’s one of the best lightsaber duels in all of Star Wars, to go into ‘everything wrong with TLJ duel scene’ without thinking about what sort of emotion it’s supposed to generate in a viewer is a false view into the scene.🕷️
what's the emotion consistently twirling out of the frame, missing your marks and a vanishing knife is supposed to generate for the viewer?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm
the fact Rey is fucking happy in the climax of TLJ when she should be in bummer town

-Vader
How the fuck is she happy? Besides being reunited with her friends she just saved, if anything she seems 'at peace' as she literally says regarding her force feelings of Luke dying.

Bacon, not sure if serious. The first time viewer literally sits on the edge of the seat, not sure if Rey will turn or not. Or maybe Kylo will turn? The core of the scene though is the visceral (and natural) unity that takes place before our eyes.

Vader, downgrade your score. Or watch some sword and sandals of the golden age.🕷️
Last edited by m4st4 on August 28th, 2018, 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BraveLittlePoster wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:10 pm
Vader182 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 6:30 pm
the fact Rey is fucking happy in the climax of TLJ when she should be in bummer town

-Vader
How the fuck is she happy? Besides being reunited with her friends she just saved, if anything she seems 'at peace' as she literally says regarding her force feelings of Luke dying.
the first time we see her on Crait she literally shouts "I LIKE THIS" with a huge smile on her face
m4st4 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:11 pm
Vader, downgrade your score. Or watch some sword and sandals of the golden age.🕷️
nothing you're saying has a lick to do with fight choreography, also why are you obsessed with me changing my score, it's really weird lol

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on August 28th, 2018, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@BLP: Rey's very next appearance after the emotional scene with Kylo is literally her laughing in the Falcon cheering and yelling "Oh yeah! I like this!"
EDIT: What Vader said.

@m4: How does a fight of them joining together indicate anything other than that they are in unity at the moment? The fight didn't matter to me, even in my initial viewing. I knew that once they beat the guards together was when the real good stuff would go down. The fight felt as if it was placed there just to be one since there hadn't been some straight up action in a while.

Bacon wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:44 pm
Allstar wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 7:30 pm
Kind of like TDKR.
Except the go-to choreography problem people call out in TDKR is that someone slips while they're fighting...on iced over concrete...and then Batman kicks him in the face.

"That's not how you watch these movies"
If an action-adventure film has poor action, that's absolutely something to call out in a film.
and the Bane/Batman fights and Catwoman on the rooftop but sure make excuses for the poor choreography because this is Nolanfans after all.

the sewer fight is one of the best fight scenes i’ve seen but the other ones certainly have a number of issues

Michaelf2225 wrote:
August 28th, 2018, 8:40 pm
the sewer fight is one of the best fight scenes i’ve seen but the other ones certainly have a number of issues
There’s clear shots where you can easily tell they’re not actually hitting each other. Like Vader said, a scene can still be amazing with some poor choreography.