Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
ArmandFancypants wrote:This film is too damn good for its audience, but I'm delighted by the absolute anarchy it's causing, especially to anyone who thought VII was even remotely good
This is an unbelievably pretentious post.

When people have issues and are asking for explanations, call them unintelligent and offer up no defense. Wonderful choice.
Not a surprise when you see most of his comments on NF.

yeah ok hahahahahahha oh mi god what the fuck lmfao

what

I'm going to a 6 AM show tomorrow morning because I can't wait until after Christmas.

Everyone's posts are making me anxious/nervous now lol.

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

JAWS_Fan17 wrote:I'm going to a 6 AM show tomorrow morning because I can't wait until after Christmas.

Try to go in with none of our expectations in mind. Base how much you like it off your own experience rather than someone online posting that you should or should not feel some way.

What a great movie!

Every fucking scene with Rey and Luke is amazing! The guy stole every scene he's in.
However, I didn't like Snoke stupid death, Lea flying like Wall-E and Luke "dying" at the end. Btw, that Yoda scene was beautiful.

Bacon wrote:
JAWS_Fan17 wrote:I'm going to a 6 AM show tomorrow morning because I can't wait until after Christmas.

Try to go in with none of our expectations in mind. Base how much you like it off your own experience rather than someone online posting that you should or should not feel some way.
Yeah man, I'm sure I'll love it, I even like the prequels (even though terrible writing and too much CGI), but all these people saying like "wtf" "omg what was that," and all the divisiveness like shit, what the hell is going to happen? I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT.

I do understand a lot of the critique this movie gets in terms of plotlines and character arcs. The things I disliked the most were
Finn and Rose's adventure, which was so big it basically became a subplot we spent more time with than with Luke or Kylo Ren. Especially when they complely ignore the initial request to get the master codebreaker, and when everything they do ends up being completely pointless. His arc in this movie took him absolutely nowhere.

I also hated that they didn't use Phasma more. And what the fuck happened to Maz? As a guy who doesn't know much about the bigger picture of the Star Wars world outside of the saga movies, I was really intrigued with everything she had to say in TFA. All the mystery surrounding her and what she told them was awesome. And in this movie she is on screen on a screen for like two minutes. And ends up having zero impact on the story. Hopefully J.J. brings her back.

I'm torn about the Leia almost dying scene. The first part was wonderfully shot, and I think it's awesome that we get to see her interact with the force. But the execution of her flying back to the spaceship was a little bit off.
However, the parts that I disliked doesn't weigh up for everything I found to be fucking awesome.
Like Kylo's character arc, Luke's absolutely perfect death (he is definitely coming back in IX as a force ghost btw), Yoda, Ridely's acting (her chemistry with both Luke and Kylo was fantastic), Gleeson's acting, the cinematography once they left the confined space of spaceships and came to the final planet (can't remember the name), the stellar choreography and the perfect humor. The porgs took up exactly the space in this movie that they needed.
Law wrote:With that being said,
the lightsaber battle with Rey and Kylo Ben, **Ren, really made up for anything I mentioned previously.
Fuck yeah.
The throne room part was 10/10. Maybe the best sequence I've seen in a Star Wars movie.
Last edited by Sanchez on December 15th, 2017, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snokes death was amazing. Kylo’s motiviation were very similar to Anakin’s thought process in Sith
Loved it.

ArmandFancypants wrote:This film is too damn good for its audience, but I'm delighted by the absolute anarchy it's causing, especially to anyone who thought VII was even remotely good
It was actually very good, but also very restrictive and been-there at the same time.
Now TLJ is so radically different and ultimately a better movie and you realize that the majority doesn’t want that.

And to Cilogy’s mention of ‘MCU like tonal difference and humor’, there was none. OT is filled with that sort of stuff and it’s actually SW brand. Neither Lucas himself in the prequels, nor JJ, or Edwards, quite nailed the SW brand of quirkyness like Rian did. There was only one scene that truly felt somewhat MCU*-like imo...
Opening part with Poe taunting Hux.
*MCU in this context is MCU at its mainstream worst, not the progressive parts of Phase III etc.
Last edited by m4st4 on December 15th, 2017, 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

i haven't read the other posts yet but that
Kylo and Rey thing is, like, totally an allegory for online dating. So a guy messages a girl and they talk a lot and form a bond, the guy then suddenly flashes her, so it's kinda awkward and you think there's some wrong feeling about this, but then the girl still goes out to meet him all emotional and hopeful like "I can change this guy!!!1!1 we'll be happy together!!" but she then finds out the guy is a bit of a fuckboy. then they have this emotional breakdown together where it seems like they'll get over it for a moment but the guy ends up going back to his old ways and ultimately fucks the girl over

i thought about this as soon as it happened and i couldn't contain myself im sorry im an idiot.
i love this, it's so shamelessly whack and messy