Docu-fucking-mentaries: The Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I gave this a standing ovation.

Documentaries are neat. they're like real life but on film. They also don't seem to have enough power to sustain their own threads so BLAM we can discuss em all here now. Everyone has seen an amazing doc that no one else seems to know about so fill us in.

Specifically made the thread cause this one in particular looks great.

Everyone should see The Act of Killing.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Everyone should see The Act of Killing.

-Vader
tesitfy

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Documentaries are neat. they're like real life but on film. They also don't seem to have enough power to sustain their own threads so BLAM we can discuss em all here now. Everyone has seen an amazing doc that no one else seems to know about so fill us in.

interesting, I will chek it out

The Act of Killing was absolutely riveting, easily one of the best docs I've seen in the entire duration of my time on this planet

I recently saw Hot Coffee which was cool. Maybe some folks have seen it, but it's about the oft cited McDonald's coffee case in which a woman supposedly sued McD's for not putting a "hot" warning on the coffee. The doc focuses on the life-threatening injuries the woman actually faced from the nearly 190° F coffee, and how the media essentially made the whole thing into a joke. It's also a fascinating look into frivolous lawsuits and corporate greed/bullshit.

Man With a Movie Camera
Bowling for Columbine
The Fog of War
The War Room
Encounters at the End of the World
Grizzly Man
Night and Fog

Can't wait for Life Itself. Roger Ebert was my favourite film critic and I miss him a lot. About other documentaries, Side by Side is one I wathed recently and liked very much. It's about the process of both photochemical and digital film creation and among the interviewed filmmakers are Christopher Nolan, Wally Pfister, Martin Scorsese and David Fincher. Keanu Reeves is the interviewer and narrator. Directed and written by Christopher Kenneally ;)

Also,

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
Hoop Dreams
Capturing the Friedmans
Hearts and Minds

And Koyaanisqatsi, which Nolan himself called:
An incredible document of how man’s greatest endeavors have unsettling consequences. Art, not propaganda, emotional, not didactic; it doesn’t tell you what to think—it tells you what to think about.

mchekhov 2: Chek Harder wrote:Documentaries are neat. they're like real life but on film. They also don't seem to have enough power to sustain their own threads so BLAM we can discuss em all here now. Everyone has seen an amazing doc that no one else seems to know about so fill us in.

I made a thread about that and got totally ignored :lol:

Anyway, a couple of great documentaries I've seen recently are Crumb and Exit Through the Gift Shop.

Also, Stanley Kubrick: A Life in Pictures is a great documentary which presents masterfully the career of one of the most important and influential filmmakers of all time.