Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Master Virgo wrote:
Allstar wrote:Here's respected film critic Todd McCarthy on the "CGI character"-
but even creepier — jaw-droppingly so — is the resurrection of the late and singular British actor Peter Cushing, who played the role of Grand Moff Tarkin, the Imperial leader first seen in Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope. Cushing, who died in 1994 at age 81, pops up here, with matter-of-fact naturalness and complete credibility, playing the same character he did before with fresh dialogue. It's the art (and deceit) of CGI taken to new and perfected lengths
Anne Thompson also thought it was amazing what they pulled it off.
Berardinelli also praised it and called it groundbreaking.£
Seems like Ehlrich was being an over the top attention whore lol.

I've just seen it. I'm pretty positive about it overall but definitely not blown away. Although the ending really does bring it close to being amazing. It has a phenomenal third act, which is hard to say about many films. Usually, films tend to dip at the end but not Edwards's. As Godzilla also amazed near the end. The problems lie in the beginning, some editing and pacing issues as well but overall it's a very good action film for this year's standards and a solid film in general. I'd give it a 7/10.

As for the characters, suprisingly, Cassian Andor was easily my favorite. I thought he'd be an another incompetent male character to support the female heroine, like in Force Awakens, but he's more of a secondary lead. And he's definitely a unique character for the entire film franchise. A rebel agent with shades of grey and complexity. His introduction was both great and underdeveloped. We get a great understanding of who he is with his opening scene but then again, like many characters in the film, there's really no introducing him into the plot of the film. He's already in it by the time we see him on screen.

Jyn is a pretty standard heroine but she gets better with time. Donnie Yen is solid, although his fighting is underused. He has, however, probably the best character arc in the film. K2 is also a pretty good droid addition and the comedic relief, which you can rest assured is one of the few in this film - this is definitely a gritty Star Wars film as promised by the director. It has a vastly different tone than the Force Awakens. Which is great. I really liked TFA but I'm happy they're having some variety with this franchise.

Krennic is a generic villian with no real established motivation other than being evil. This character really disappointed me. We see glimpses of something more but at the end of the day he really isn't that interesting.

Vader is underused unfortunately. It's actually pretty unbelievable that Vader would not be more hands on when it comes to such an important project. He has one good scene, which I'm sure you've already heard something about. And it's amazingly executed while it lasts but it's so short you really don't feel satisfied enough.

Music is good but again, there's nothing that adds much to the iconic legacy of the original score or even the amazing score done for the prequels. Much like with TFA, the score works best when it reuses the original themes.

The film does have some strong cinematography and Edwards proves once again, that there aren't many other directors who can show SCALE as well as he can. In these respects it was really impressive and I'd even say astonishing.

I wished some of the cameos were also more meaningful, instead of just throwing the characters into the film just for the sake of it. I get it, you want to wink at the nerds but does it make the film any better? No. If you're going to put them in, why not do something interesting with them?

And the CGI?...
Visually, Cushing looks good. It's still not perfect by any means but it's as good as it gets right now. As good as Michael Douglas in Ant-Man if not better, which is even more impressive since this film didn't have the actor to work with.

Leia, on the other hand, looked poorly and completely fake with the couple of seconds she had on screen.
My SW ranking would be:
1) Empire 10/10
2) Return 9/10
3) Hope 8.5/10
4) Revenge 8/10
5) Force Awakens 8/10
6) Rogue One 7/10
7) Phantom 6/10
8) Attack 5/10
Last edited by LelekPL on December 14th, 2016, 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm guessing the reason for most of the negative reactions to the CGI character is because of the concept of it rather than the execution, they don't like the idea, thus they are not looking at it with an unbiased mindset.£

Grace Randolph spoiled me. She put spoilers in the description of her video for the SPOILER vid and i saw an embed that contained the spoiler in the description. :judge: :judge: :judge:

Just got back. It's excellent on the whole, make mine a 8.5/10.
*Tarkin takes adjusting to, and then it just plain works and to be frank he feels like the major villain. Krennic is small potatoes and has a cape. A tad disappointing but this is a "how" film anyway - not a character piece
*Diego Luna is, most surprisingly, my favourite of the cast
*Tarkin and Leia are not the only actors resurrected by digital trickery. Seeing Drewe Henley and Angus MacInnes back as Red and Gold leader brings warm feelings to my heart. And the Battle of Scarif is an all-timer
*OH MY GOD BEST DENOUEMENT EVER WHERE WAS THIS WHEN I WAS 8 YEARS OLD
*It's The Guns of Navarone in the GFFA. I'm delighted.
*Like TFA, 2nd act woes. It's nowhere near as good a character piece as TFA, absolutely granted, buuuut it adds hues to SW not seen before, the fresh approach gives the film a reason to live of its own volition, and it enriches the films around it rather than detracting from them. However the appeal is going to be much less broad than TFA. I'm not bothered by this; I'm happy that this film exists and am looking forward to going back again. And indeed, going back to ANH with fresh eyes

Armand your seal of approval was the last thing I needed before seeing it tomorrow. I respect your opinion greatly when it comes to Star Wars.

On the prequel side Allstar
*Bail gets dialogue
*Mustafar and Coruscant are in there

I'm getting more and more excited for this. I absolutely love The Force Awakens, so I don't think this will top it for me, but the more positive things I hear about it, the harder the wait is for tomorrow night.

Also, Dunkirk Prologue so...

Almost definitely better than TFA for me. Really really great expansion and story, if a bit uneven at the start, but once it gets going it REALLY gets going. Third act is like everyone says amazing, there is a sequence that really made my jaw drop too (zero points for guessing). And really really strong finish.

Absolutely gorgeous cinematography and visuals, seeing it projected on 70mm film with the fine grain over the digital footage gave them that one final touch. Nice score from Gia too.

The story even with the reshoots and drama, it all works. It's not 'dark and gritty', it's just 'gritty' in this version anyway, they played it surprisingly upbeat. Doesn't feel like Godzilla, no. It's what you expect - Star Wars tone and feel but grittier visuals and (some) motivations. But what was great is all the shades of grey with the characters. It does start off uneven like I said, it feels the first act was really cut down for time, jumping around too fast everywhere (especially after the absolute masterclass in that which was the Dunkirk prologue immediately preceding this)

Performances - Felicity good, Diego Luna really surprised me, K2SO and Baze/Chirrut MVPs, wish Mendelsohn didn't have his strings pulled so much but he did awesome with what he worked with. Ahmed was nice in this too. But god damn Mads and Forest were built up so well...only to have them out so soon. Esp. Forest. Maybe if they weren't built up as much?

Also two certain CGI [SPOILERS] made my eyes roll.
Fucking Tarkin and Leia. hated their inclusion. Took me out of it, felt so forced. Although Tarkin just about works, considering the build up from Catalyst and all.
In any case, as an experience it's so so awesome. The final act elevates the whole thing so damn much and it's such a great ride.

4/5

ESB
ANH/R1
TFA
ROTJ

I didn't like it, TFA was a lot better. You can really tell the score was mismanaged, there is zero downtime of it. There is a fantastic sequence though, it lasts about 15 minutes.