Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (2023)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Ace

eh. At least the poster bring some nostalgia back.

It's such a terrible and frankly a bit hillarious situation for Disney Lucas Films. They keep announcing projects and then the director they picked, delivers a big misfire soon after.

Trank, Waititi, Jenkins and now looks like Mangold as well. Not to mention D&D and Fiege with an impeccable track record of satifying their fanbase, have gone completely downhill after being announced for collaborating on a new Star Wars film.

What is this curse? lol

Master Virgo wrote:
May 19th, 2023, 9:59 am
It's such a terrible and frankly a bit hillarious situation for Disney Lucas Films. They keep announcing projects and then the director they picked, delivers a big misfire soon after.

Trank, Waititi, Jenkins and now looks like Mangold as well. Not to mention D&D and Fiege with an impeccable track record of satifying their fanbase, have gone completely downhill after being announced for collaborating on a new Star Wars film.

What is this curse? lol
Add Rian Johnson, I like TLJ a lot, but its lukewarm reception is the reason his trilogy was put on hold. But yeah, as soon as Mangold was announced for a SW movie, I knew the reception of the new Indiana Jones wouldn't be good :lol: :lol:

Also Terovorrow coming off the huge success of The Jurassic World which got him Ep IX initially, to then releasing The Book of Henry while working on his horrendous Duel of the Fates script.

At this point it would take a miracle for Ahsoka to be good. lol

I have mixed feelings - on one end, Harrison doesn't miss a beat here and the return of Nazis makes it feel like we're back at home but visually it's just too artificial, too bland, too every blockbuster. It makes the same mistake as the second half of Crystal Skull to rely too much on CG and not enough on pratical stunts.

The deaging on Harrison is the best we've seen and it works completely (apart from the voice) thanks to making each scene focusing on his face short and taking part at night. Clever. So the opening was solid but not as good as Raiders or even Crystal Skull.

I don't think two sidekicks were necessary here, and a lack of romantic interest doesn't feel right in an Indy movie.

But the locations, cast and writing make it feel very familiar and nostalgic and a lot of fun despite the action being lackluster. The third act is disappointing and the movie too long but the ending redeems the film.

Also, John Williams is still the GOAT

In terms of the series ranking:
1. Raiders 10/10
2. Last Crusade 9/10
----------------------------------
3. Temple of Doom 7/10
4. Dial of Destiny 7/10
5. Crystal Skull 6/10

But I wouldn't be surprised if it drops to last spot because I revisited Crystal Skull again and it wasn't as bad as I remembered (until they got to the jungle - then it's pretty bad)

ok so i come with a biased take, because i went to see this opening night with my mother who came to visit, she`s a big Indy fan and it was her last day in town, so the first thing that hits me is that Mangol`s direction makes this feel quite different form the Spielberg ones (even crystal skull), i liked the opening but i did get the feeling that the movie wasnt gonna feel as grand and full of wonder, you know the Spielberg feel, but i was into it, i also felt most of the CGI was very mediocre, but i wasnt gonna let that take me out of it, i liked Phoebe`s character, but it did feel a bit like it was PG-13 Fleabag with her, she really likes to play questionable people and i like it, but im starting to feel a trend from her haha, and i felt Mads was a bit underutilized, the Tangier scene was really fun too, the movie then starts unfolding and even though i know its not Raiders or Last crusade, im really having fun, and then the whole emotional climax arrives and i wasnt prepared i think, it really caught me off guard and me and my mom both where in serious tears by the end, and im not a cry at the movies type, i tend to just get watery eyes normaly haha.

it think a lot of it was Harrison`s performance,who would have thought that they would have found a way to turn Shia labeouf`s character into something good later haha, i think the part that hit me the hardest was when Phoebe`s character tells Indy that he was to stay, to wich Indy replies with "for who?", i think the ending was a heartfelt goodbye to the character.

I didn't like it. I have thoughts, but don't know how to express it.

Had its moments, but overall a flat movie, not much better than Crystal Skull. I freakin love the poster for it though, haha.

The Harrison Ford finale earned $11.8 million on Monday, pushing its domestic total to $71 million. Unlike some other holidays, Independence Day isn’t exactly the largest box office booster — with families hitting the beach, barbecuing red meat and waiting for fireworks, filmgoing isn’t exactly at the top of the agenda for most Americans. Rather, it’s the time off around the Fourth that can offer some extra lift to studio tentpoles.

And “Indiana Jones 5” needs all the lift it can get. An $82 million gross through the first five days of release shouldn’t be shabby for a legacy sequel from a more-than-40-year-old franchise, but “Dial of Destiny” is one of the most expensive films ever produced by Disney and Lucasfilm. The finale carries a production budget of $295 million. Along with an underwhelming debut overseas and upcoming July releases like “Oppenheimer” and “Mission: Impossible 7” that also look to target older viewers, things aren’t looking bright for “Indiana Jones.” $295 million. Why’d it have to be $295 million?
https://variety.com/2023/film/box-offic ... 235661242/

Ouch.