Westworld (TV)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Contains Potential Spoilers.

Master Virgo wrote:While this might be true that the storylines are not moving forward fast enough, the character development, the expansion of the world and the elaboration of ideas are more than filling the gap. Excluding the two strangely retarded lab scientists and some issues regarding the logic of the park, this series is still gravely intriguing wherever it's not exceptional.£

The two timelines thing is somewhat of a misstep, it both keeps things interesting as well slows the show down. Will+Dol is the most interesting relationship between any two characters aside from Ford/Arnold right now, but with them being absent from episode 7, they'd been riding that train for 3 episodes before they got off. It's not that all plotlines won't prove important in the end, it's just that pay off keeps being delayed and limited by their unfortunate segregation. Each one exists in some form of isolation from the other and even though everything is factually connected it just doesn't feel like it is.

But I think this should be obvious enough to everyone who's been involved in development and I wouldn't be surprised if the reshoots were in result of complications arisen from continuity and timeline consistency problems so I'm pretty sure that, even outside of these reasons, no one on writers' staff would even consider doing the exact same thing for another season. It won't be hard for them to learn from this and just improve, just as they should now that the show's hard potential has been established.

ChrisTilford wrote:THR's interview with Angela Sarafyan. Felt so bad for Clem in this one (Maeve's reaction in that scene was just.. :cry: :cry:).
That scene was heart breaking for me too, to see her getting beat up, crying and to do that all over again. And those guys just watching there. Sad to see her go. Her, Hector and the girl with the snake tattoo are some of my favorite hosts.

Pratham wrote: EDIT: HOLY FUCK!!!
I still can't get over how amazing that shot is.

Suppose the thread connecting William to The Man in Black, will be revealed in the next episode. Especially, given this comment from Ed Harris.
"But then you get the script for Episode 7, say, and you're going, 'Oh! Thanks for telling me, man! I didn't realise THAT about myself!'
The seventh was shot last year by Stephen Williams, but will air as the eighth. Going by Fred Toye's interview, it's implied that they edited six and seven with intermixed footage, that was filmed in two separate schedules (one of the sixth produced episode, and the other of the eighth).

The opening titles even push this possibility further, as the editor of the sixth was mentioned to be Tanya Swerling (who did the fourth), and that of the seventh was Andrew Seklir (who did the third). Most shows have three editors in rotation (one person does Episode 1, 4, 7; another does 2, 5, 8; & the last does 3, 6, 9; and so on). As Jonah indicated, unlike network TV, the show doesn't have the final cuts locked when it's still in production, so when they did go about it, these respective editors did it.

Plus, there were 2 DPs mentioned in the sixth as well (Robert McLachlan & Brendan Galvin; while only the latter's mentioned for the seventh). They wouldn't do that, if it had a significant amount of footage shot by both of them (the pilot's cinematographer, Paul Cameron, is listed in the end credits of the second, under 'Additional Photography', as he shot the scenes with Maeve's flashbacks & her major sequence towards the end; but it probably didn't amount to enough screentime, to have his name in the front; ditto for McLachlan, who's credited the same way in the seventh one).
Last edited by ChrisTilford on November 20th, 2016, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Also, if the William/Man in Black connection does turn out to be true, this is something which just occured to me.

No character is like they seem when you first see them. Given that, thought it'd be a neat case of juxtaposition, if William's downward spiral in the past, coincides with The Man in Black becoming a more nobler character in the present. Have a strong feeling that he's not a straight-up antagonist. There's likely to be more layers to the guy (especially given his life outside the park), which would resurface towards the end. We've already seen shades of it in episodes 4 (when he genuinely seems sympathetic while listening to Armistice's backstory), & 6 (when he tries drawing fire from the Confederados, in a bid to help Teddy escape).

Kickass edit.

(probably a stupid question) So where did Elsie go?

Empire's interview with Angela Sarafyan.

If they do intend to shoot the second season in blocks (like a feature film), that would make things difficult for the actors, right? They probably can't get the full script like they did in year one, because they could be hypothetically be doing scenes from 2x1 during in the morning, 2x5 in the afternoon, & 2x9 at night. Preparing for those sequences, would be time consuming as it is.

I don't know how it's done on shows which are shot that way (Game of Thrones & Mr. Robot's second season).