Last Film You Watched? V

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:It's the high-altitude high-angle shot looking at the town below, as if the camera is positioned in the clouds. It was probably filming a miniature with people put in later, but it's so believable I'm not convinced that's how he did it.

-Vader
I watched the doc thats on the Blu Ray last night. They shot the stage lot from over head (the roads, the people running, the fire) and had Albert Whitlock draw in the surroundings (the town buildings, the terrain, the docks, etc.) and combined them. The flock of mechanical birds were later super imposed in front of the image and rotoscoped in.

I remember not actually being able to pay attention to the last 25 minutes of The Birds because I was so baffled by how retarded the characters were acting. Luckily it was one of the last big Hitchcock's I was getting to, so it didn't scare me away from his other work.

I'm pretty sure I was texting Vader the whole time confused. lol

Just a few minutes into Blue Jasmine and I can already relate to Jasmine. Not the best sign. lol

August: Osage County

Such an incredible cast in this, which stands as the strongest part of the film. It's bolstered and driven by really fantastic lead performances from Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. Those two comprise the emotional center of the film and make it such fun (and such tragedy) to watch. We also get a particularly powerful performance from Margo Martindale, whom we're usually used to seeing in very minor roles. The rest of the cast is also excellent; everyone from Chris Cooper to Julianne Nicholson shine in their respective parts. BenCum, who's been pretty much everywhere recently, did a great job with what little he was given.

That being said, the overall structure of the film seems unbalanced and most of it amounts to characters moving around from one emotional and volatile conversation to another. I don't think it translates 100% well onto the screen. I imagine it works so much better as the stage play it originally was. Nonetheless, it's all an incredibly compelling and engaging affair.

Peace wrote:Just a few minutes into Blue Jasmine and I can already relate to Jasmine. Not the best sign. lol
You're middle-aged morally confused former trophy wife with schizophrenia?

I fucking knew it.

Crazy Eight wrote:
Peace wrote:Just a few minutes into Blue Jasmine and I can already relate to Jasmine. Not the best sign. lol
You're middle-aged morally confused former trophy wife with schizophrenia?

I fucking knew it.
Wait so you never thought I was a mentally challenged individual?

I relate to the hitting bottom, taking drugs, and putting up a facade so people can't see how low I am. 8-)

Blue Is the Warmest Color - 8/10

Great film, but a bit let down by the second half.

Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa

Incredibly hilarious and sometimes rather clever. I think that towards the end, things started to fall into it's place intentionally rather than just letting it all fall naturally, but there is plenty to love about this film, and watching British comedy (especially ones that are created by Armando Iannucci) is always delightful.

The World's End

Second viewing. It's certainly not the the perfect conclusion to the Three Flavored Cornetto Trilogy that we were anticipating, but nonetheless, it is equally as detailed, clever and enjoyable as Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, and is probably the best acted out of all of them.

The Act of Killing

Easily one of the most fascinating documentaries I've ever seen. It's surreal to experience and troubling to think about.

BlairCo wrote: (especially ones that are created by Armando Iannucci)
Have you seen the original Alan Partridge series...es?

Also, get onto The Day Today if you haven't. Very ahead of its time.