Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I like James Gunn but lmao his twitter comparison to Last Temptation of Christ is the most pathetic thing I've ever read in my life

What an insecure guy

Now Where Was I ? wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:20 pm
I like James Gunn but lmao his twitter comparison to Last Temptation of Christ is the most pathetic thing I've ever read in my life

What an insecure guy
“And I’m not saying religious zealotry is the same as not liking my movies, or in the same category.”

When someone you idolize says your hard work that you’re passionate about and care a lot about is not cinema it obviously will hurt. Don’t see what’s hard to understand there.

I could barely care about Marvel before Civil War tbh. Phase 3 or when Feige was given real power is one of the best things that has ever happened to blockbuster film making.

They (Marvel or otherwise) won't be able to top this shit for years.

Vader182 wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 4:22 pm
I dunno, ive always seen the MCU more as very expensive TV Show than a movie series. Phase 1 is Season 1, Phase 2 is Season 2, each Avengers movie is the "Season finale." They are monolithic by design and look more "TV" than Mad Men or Breaking Bad or The Americans. They all have cruddy sound mixes with the could've-been-written-by-anyone score buried into the sound mix, with strict creative mandates in style, tone, structure. In the same way the case of the week is always solved, here the third act inevitably devolves into (very ugly) CGI nonsense.

There are exceptions and high points where they become "cinematic" but they are few.

-Vader
Perfectly said imo. Although I do think it's worth pointing out that the further along we get in the MCU the more weird the stories can get (i.e. Endgame) and I think that fuels the opportunity to get to that 'cinematic' point.

Some fans right now LOL Sorry

Ace

Nolan also said real movies don't have post-credit scenes. Spielberg, Gray...many filmmakers are not big fan of the MCU. Cameron most likely prefers BvS to Avengers...(He's said that he found few directors visually stimulating nowadays, most new blockbusters visually bland and that Snyder was one of the few exception.)

I also don't understand why it's so important that everybody agrees on what art is. The French new wave was created by critics who began their career trashing french film of the fifties. If you're sensitive, don't read what Jean-Luc Godard wrote about Lolita, what Tarantino said about the Matrix, what Gilliam said about List of Schindler, what Bergman said about Citizen Kane, what Truffaut said about Antonioni... Debate is necessary.
Thank you Marty for your comments!

Ace
Nolan has denied the Guardian's story, releasing a statement saying "I would never say someone's else's film isn't 'a real film.' The quote is inaccurate." Representatives for the director say that the use of the quote in the Guardian piece wasn't fact-checked.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat ... dit-746163

Like imagine Nolan saying that horseshit for one second.

Demoph wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 2:20 pm
Nolan also said real movies don't have post-credit scenes. Spielberg, Gray...many filmmakers are not big fan of the MCU. Cameron most likely prefers BvS to Avengers...(He's said that he found few directors visually stimulating nowadays, most new blockbusters visually bland and that Snyder was one of the few exception.)

I also don't understand why it's so important that everybody agrees on what art is. The French new wave was created by critics who began their career trashing french film of the fifties. If you're sensitive, don't read what Jean-Luc Godard wrote about Lolita, what Tarantino said about the Matrix, what Gilliam said about List of Schindler, what Bergman said about Citizen Kane, what Truffaut said about Antonioni... Debate is necessary.
Thank you Marty for your comments!
I’m just happy whatever Scorsese said summoned you back to this place.