Black Mass (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Multiple sellouts in Boston. Depp is amazing. A fucking shark in the water.

BlairCo wrote: Depp deserves some recognition, and hopefully this'l be a wake-up call for him to return to more indie based films.
Black Mass is a 50+ million dollar studio project, though.

Very much enjoyed this. It's about the myth of Bulger. He's a monster walking among men. Never kicks into a higher gear, but the one it's in is solid enough. Depp's Bulger is like a 1930's Universal horror monster. Would be so cool to see this in Boston.

Sky007 wrote:Very much enjoyed this. It's about the myth of Bulger. He's a monster walking among men. Never kicks into a higher gear, but the one it's in is solid enough. Depp's Bulger is like a 1930's Universal horror monster. Would be so cool to see this in Boston.
Oh dude it was amazing. There were 5 soldout shows at the Fenway theater alone. You'd think it was Avengers or Batman or something. Ridiculous crowds for such a (relatively) small project.

SilverHeart wrote:
Sky007 wrote:Very much enjoyed this. It's about the myth of Bulger. He's a monster walking among men. Never kicks into a higher gear, but the one it's in is solid enough. Depp's Bulger is like a 1930's Universal horror monster. Would be so cool to see this in Boston.
Oh dude it was amazing. There were 5 soldout shows at the Fenway theater alone. You'd think it was Avengers or Batman or something. Ridiculous crowds for such a (relatively) small project.
How did the audience react?

They liked the St Patricks bit a lot :lol: And standing ovation at the end.

Also some cheers when Triple O's first showed up.

SilverHeart wrote:They liked the St Patricks bit a lot :lol: And standing ovation at the end.

Also some cheers when Triple O's first showed up.
That would've been awesome to see. I also imagine The Departed was even more insane around there.

I dug it. I loved the performances (especially Johnny Depp) as well as the costume and production design, cinematography, music, etc. It's probably one of the grimmer gangster films I've seen in quite some time, and it feels like the kind of movie that's going to stick with me for a while. I'd like to watch it again at some point and see how it holds up.

This might have even been a great movie if the material didn't feel so stale or if we at least got to know Bulger a bit more. Still, the director and the cast do well to prevent it from being totally unnecessary.

Depp's cold blooded turn is the highlight, yes, and Edgerton is also quite dependable throughout, but the fact based storytelling has minimal progression, yielding a solid but unremarkable entry in the Boston crime sub genre. B

Full review here: http://wp.me/p1oNyz-uN