The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (2014)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Bacon wrote:
Nomis1700 wrote: Back to the Hobbit, the reason for the title change makes sense. Bilbo is already there. As for the BO5A, it's not just 'cause it's action. It's about the whole conclusion to the story.
Who win, the conclusion of the Dwarves, how the the Elves and the Men deal with it. Characters that die during (or of wounds after it) the battle. It's the climax of the film with not just non-stop action. It's the alliance of Dwarves, Elves and Men against a common foe. Like Return of the King draw things closer to Aragorn (it was very important to have a leader) this will draw things closer to the meaning of the battle (alliance) and as a conclusion to the story. In Hobbit BO5A, after Smaug's death, the story will be building towards a clash between Dwarves/Elves/Men only until they unite against the Orcs.
Of course just like in ROTK a lot of other things will happen in Hobbit BO5A as well.
By all of that logic, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle of Pelennor Fields would be a great title. Like I said, just because something happens in the climax of the film and affects the ending doesn't mean that they should base their title around it.
You just don't get it. Not to forget, LOTR3 title would've been battle at the black gate than the battle of the pelennor fields. This also weighs in on the fact that you don't get the point.

But I've done my effort to make it clear to you. Apparently your wrong idea is so stuck in your head it probably can't move for a while. I hope you see the light at some point. If you're actually smart that will be soon.

Just as a minor point, back when PJ was set to do LOTR as two films under Miramax, the first film was going to be The Fellowship of the Ring and the second film was going to be The War of the Ring.

Loved the first two films and this one has the potential to be the best for sure but as an assumed fanboy of the franchise, I am a little bit afraid this might be the film where PJ will jump the shark.
This concern comes from that new title, I think we can all expect an epic battle like Helm's Deep and BOFA will take at least half of the running time. I didnt have a lot of problems with the VFX in the first two movies except some key action scenes (Analzuzibar, Goblintown escape)...the first one is the only glimpse of a battle we got so far and it looked so...fake. After three minutes, I was tired already. I guess the BOFA was shot in studio also and not on location (am I wrong?), so I'm afraid of CGI overkill

Still my 2nd most anticipated of the year (the stakes will be 10x higher in this movie) but I'm more afraid for this one than I was for the other two.

Now Where Was I ? wrote:Loved the first two films and this one has the potential to be the best for sure but as an assumed fanboy of the franchise, I am a little bit afraid this might be the film where PJ will jump the shark.
This concern comes from that new title, I think we can all expect an epic battle like Helm's Deep and BOFA will take at least half of the running time. I didnt have a lot of problems with the VFX in the first two movies except some key action scenes (Analzuzibar, Goblintown escape)...the first one is the only glimpse of a battle we got so far and it looked so...fake. After three minutes, I was tired already. I guess the BOFA was shot in studio also and not on location (am I wrong?), so I'm afraid of CGI overkill

Still my 2nd most anticipated of the year (the stakes will be 10x higher in this movie) but I'm more afraid for this one than I was for the other two.
your avy is hilarious.

Allstar wrote:
Now Where Was I ? wrote:Loved the first two films and this one has the potential to be the best for sure but as an assumed fanboy of the franchise, I am a little bit afraid this might be the film where PJ will jump the shark.

your avy is hilarious.

As for the battle of Azanulbizar, it was very brief in the script but it kept going larger while filming/just before filming. I guess this won't be the case with the BO5A. Also, the Azanulbizar battle was shot inside with the only set pieces being the ground and some rocks. Everything else was green screen. When I saw it for the first time the HFR was very bright in IMAX (just like the blu-ray) but I liked the cinematography of it and thought it looked slick. But on the second viewing (yes also in IMAX) I saw much better that it looked rather fake (all the CG stuff mostly, which had a lot of that).

I think you could compare it a bit to FOTR, the only big battle we saw in that was with the Last Alliance of Men and Elves, which was rather brief as well (loved the battle at Amon Hen, so much real! But it wasn't really a huge battle like the Last Alliance of course) but we got something truly spectacular battles with Helms Deep and even more so with the battle of Minas Tirith. Especially the VFX of ROTK still hold up really well. I think we can mostly only say that of Gollum and Smaug (and spiders I think) of the Hobbit films.

I really really really hope PJ nails the BO5A (yes the battle, and the overall film of course ;)). We've seen in the blogs that they shot some of it at those huge sets of Dale (outside). I hope they shot some more outside as well but I doubt it I think it'll help if at least the ground was real you know… But I bet we're in for the most VFX shots filled Hobbit movie yet and I hope they finally nail the digital doubles in this one because of all VFX in AUJ and DOS, those looked the most fake. And we're gonna need a whole lot of digi-doubles with the BO5A!

Logo:

SilverHeart wrote:Logo:
Great photoshop skills.

Fan Made

Tough comments from Viggo Mortensen on The Hobbit trilogy and Peter Jackson in general
“Anybody who says they knew it was going to be the success it was, I don’t think it’s really true,” he says. “They didn’t have an inkling until they showed 20 minutes in Cannes, in May of 2001. They were in a lot of trouble, and Peter had spent a lot. Officially, he could say that he was finished in December 2000 – he’d shot all three films in the trilogy – but really the second and third ones were a mess. It was very sloppy – it just wasn’t done at all. It needed massive reshoots, which we did, year after year. But he would have never been given the extra money to do those if the first one hadn’t been a huge success. The second and third ones would have been straight to video.”
Mortensen thinks – rightly – that The Fellowship of the Ring turned out the best of the three, perhaps largely because it was shot in one go. “It was very confusing, we were going at such a pace, and they had so many units shooting, it was really insane. But it’s true that the first script was better organised,” he says. “Also, Peter was always a geek in terms of technology but, once he had the means to do it, and the evolution of the technology really took off, he never looked back. In the first movie, yes, there’s Rivendell, and Mordor, but there’s sort of an organic quality to it, actors acting with each other, and real landscapes; it’s grittier. The second movie already started ballooning, for my taste, and then by the third one, there were a lot of special effects. It was grandiose, and all that, but whatever was subtle, in the first movie, gradually got lost in the second and third. Now with The Hobbit, one and two, it’s like that to the power of 10.
“I guess Peter became like Ridley Scott – this one-man industry now, with all these people depending on him,” Mortensen adds. “But you can make a choice, I think. I asked Ridley when I worked with him (on 1997’s GI Jane), 'Why don’t you do another film like The Duellists [Scott’s 1977 debut, from a Joseph Conrad short story]?’ And Peter, I was sure he would do another intimately scaled film like Heavenly Creatures, maybe with this project about New Zealanders in the First World War he wanted to make. But then he did King Kong. And then he did The Lovely Bones – and I thought that would be his smaller movie. But the problem is, he did it on a $90 million budget. That should have been a $15 million movie. The special effects thing, the genie, was out of the bottle, and it has him. And he’s happy, I think…”