Hideo Kojima Official Thread

A place to discuss music and video games.
Vader182 wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 10:44 pm
Most games take way longer than 2 years in development before getting solid gameplay. Why are we forgetting that again?

Cyberpunk 2077 didn't even feature gameplay and has been in development longer than Death Stranding. Kojima only settled on an engine a year and a half ago!

-Vader
You’re telling that to the wrong crowd. Check the internet and you’ll see what I’m talking about.

I think we might be looking at Hellblade-like experience as well, instead of MGSV-like. I dunno.

Vader182 wrote:
Most games take way longer than 2 years in development before getting solid gameplay. Why are we forgetting that again?
-Vader
People are forgetting it because MGSV was announced in 2013 and gameplay premiered in 2014 and it released in 2015. That's been the common theory I've seen.

Bacon wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 10:52 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta3czGLX9VA

Still officially a "TEASER TRAILER" on Kojima's upload
Yeah, if you look at the usual dev timeline it’s teaser, trailer, gameplay and story trailer. For example, with TLOU we’re at gameplay point now.

His game has been FOUR TEASERS so far. That’s more than breaking the pattern, that’s announcing it too soon. And I know he switched to Decima only after second teaser but still.

all the aforementioned games were in development way before the announcements and trailers...

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:

Cyberpunk 2077 didn't even feature gameplay and has been in development longer than Death Stranding. Kojima only settled on an engine a year and a half ago!

-Vader
The difference is that we've already seen the same trailer-format from Death Stranding multiple times before, and at multiple big events. They basically just did the same thing again for the second time on E3, when the game was announced to be on the panel, and was expected to be heavily featured because of Soy's new show format.

It's not common for these big events to show the same type of trailer after one another. When DS had that first teaser at E3 and another trailer at Game Awards, I think most people expected more the third time. Yes, I get that we technically got more. But not much more.

Cyberpunk 2077 was not confirmed to be on the show, and pretty much nothing has been seen from that game before at all. That's why I can get way more hyped for that game than I could for Death Stranding after this E3. And I think it's totally fair for people to think like that.

TES6 would have been a better example.
Last edited by Sanchez on June 11th, 2018, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wish I could add to this fascinating and important discussion but there's already so much going for it!

dude what does any of that have to do with the realities of the development timeline

-Vader

This game was hardly announced too soon. If it comes out late 2019, teasing a game for 3 years isn't too bad.

Vader182 wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 10:58 pm
dude what does any of that have to do with the realities of the development timeline

-Vader
You don't have to finish an entire game to show off some mechanics. But I already stated that they didn't necessarily have to show any gameplay, but at least have Kojima talk about it or the plot.
Bacon wrote:
June 11th, 2018, 11:01 pm
This game was hardly announced too soon. If it comes out late 2019, teasing a game for 3 years isn't too bad.
That's not what anyone's saying. Like, TES6 is probably more than 3 years away and they haven't shown anything so far. It's about what pace they are releasing these trailers, and about them setting expectations when they announce that they'll be at E3.