Alien: Covenant (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

That's unfortunate.

I need to rewatch Resurrection again but this one might be the worst in the series unfortunately. Damn! So predictable, tensionless and just bland visually. I liked the David stuff but it was done much better in Prometheus.

Going on Thursday, not reading any reviews beforehand, we'll see what happens. With Prometheus, it took me three (theatrical) tries to accept how lacking it was compared to that OP first trailer. I'm going into this expecting a movie in the vein of Alien/Aliens, with a touch of Prometheus. Seeing how far they went with creature effects this time around should be a treat no matter what.

tbh I'm seeing this with total disinterest next week. And as you can see by my recent post in the Prometheus thread, I dig that movie. This seems like it has all the flaws of that picture but none of the virtues.

-Vader

I recently tried rewatching Prometheus, and while I've said before that that I don't mind the movie, I was barely able to pay attention while I was watching it again. It is tediously paced and lacks all intrigue of a proper Sci-Fi Horror movie. But in saying that, I actually enjoyed Covenant. It expands upon both the mythology of Alien and the mythology that was established in Prometheus. And while I've been hearing a common criticism that the movie falls apart in the third act, I do agree that the final act is rushed, but I actually really enjoyed it. I thought the themes and ideas it brought to the table was incredibly fascinating, especially relating around the character of David. There's even little callbacks to Blade Runner, but don't expect an announcement of a shared universe.

Came back from it.

Going in with low expectations made me like this a lot more than I thought I would.

Still need to gather my thoughts.

I was surprised to figure out that the plot does make sense. I've read some stuff before saying how in the first 30 minutes none of this makes any sense or how Prometheus is negated by this film. That's not the case.

The problem I have is that some of the stuff is delivered in such a stupid way I'm wondering if ANYONE actually read the fucking script because it bugs me that there's at least 2-3 scenes which make no sense the way they've been staged. The narrative makes sense but the actual development is borderline stupid. How is it possible that nobody told Ridley that the way they dealt with the final twist made no sense?!

RIFA wrote:The problem I have is that some of the stuff is delivered in such a stupid way I'm wondering if ANYONE actually read the fucking script because it bugs me that there's at least 2-3 scenes which make no sense the way they've been staged. The narrative makes sense but the actual development is borderline stupid. How is it possible that nobody told Ridley that the way they dealt with the final twist made no sense?!
In my opinion - correct me if I'm wrong - it actually is Scott's job to understand the screenplay and stage the scenes correctly. He's the director here after all

Willem wrote:
RIFA wrote:The problem I have is that some of the stuff is delivered in such a stupid way I'm wondering if ANYONE actually read the fucking script because it bugs me that there's at least 2-3 scenes which make no sense the way they've been staged. The narrative makes sense but the actual development is borderline stupid. How is it possible that nobody told Ridley that the way they dealt with the final twist made no sense?!
In my opinion - correct me if I'm wrong - it actually is Scott's job to understand the screenplay and stage the scenes correctly. He's the director here after all
Yes it is. But if he somehow was blind and forgot something while reading the script... how the hell can the script go through so many people and nobody pointed such a huge error out?