Marvel Movies... A bit Too Much at this point?

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
07202012 wrote:
didich wrote:
I admire Marvel for what they are trying (and already tried and accomplished with their Phase I). Their bets are not as safe as DC's in a filmic context.

My only concern is the same I expressed yesterday with DC and their JL film: That Marvel appears to be rushing things a bit too much.
So basically. Marvel is over-ambitious and is pushing out mediocre films to meet their deadline on their planned schedules.
Not exaclty. As of now, Marvel has done a much better job in their films than DC. Other than TDK Saga, its other projects have been failures (Green Lanter, Superman Returns or Catwoman), while Marvel, despite the fact that they had to meet a deadline, has been much more succesful in terms of quality (despite the fact that their bet was much less safer).

Because they were centered in 'The Avengers', the other films have suffered when viewed individually (particulary Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America), but as a franchise they work much better (due to the fact that elements like S.H.I.E.L.D. which are not important in, for example, Thor's respective adventure, are important when viewed together).

Meanwhile, DC is still trying to sucess with a Superhero whose name is not Batman in Cinemas.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

I wonder what DC will do after Man of Steel, I hope we get a successful Green Lantern "Requel" or a Wonder Woman film. I would love a GL movie that is based on Blackest Night.

I just want Marvel to stop half assing all of their individual characters just to get to Avenger team ups. Besides Iron Man 1, pretty much every single Marvel film before Avengers was essentially a 2 hour Avengers commercial and not much more. They need to focus on their individual characters more. I hope now that they've had there 1.4 billion doller Avengers movie they will finally take time with the characters individually by focusing on the quality of each film, and not just rush through the next phase to get to Avengers 2. Sadly, I don't think that's very likely, but we'll see.

didich wrote:
07202012 wrote: So basically. Marvel is over-ambitious and is pushing out mediocre films to meet their deadline on their planned schedules.
Not exaclty. As of now, Marvel has done a much better job in their films than DC. Other than TDK Saga, its other projects have been failures (Green Lanter, Superman Returns or Catwoman), while Marvel, despite the fact that they had to meet a deadline, has been much more succesful in terms of quality (despite the fact that their bet was much less safer).

Because they were centered in 'The Avengers', the other films have suffered when viewed individually (particulary Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America), but as a franchise they work much better (due to the fact that elements like S.H.I.E.L.D. which are not important in, for example, Thor's respective adventure, are important when viewed together).

Meanwhile, DC is still trying to sucess with a Superhero whose name is not Batman in Cinemas.
It's better to have three amazing films to have one great film (Iron Man) and others that I honestly didn't give a shit about.

07202012 wrote:
didich wrote:

It's better to have three amazing films to have one great film (Iron Man) and others that I honestly didn't give a shit about.
Well, not at all. DC was wise getting Nolan and it paid off but, from a critical standpoint it's not.

If DC's three movies were about different characters and different productions I would say you're right, but DC's ONLY great movies are made by the same guy and are about the same guy.

Marvel, on the other side, has not been lucky enough to accomplish what the Nolan Saga has, but is at least more consistent with their prodcutions than DC as a whole, despite the fact that DC played much safer (I mean, after Begins, TDK and Rises were successes for sure and DC has no deadline for Superman and Green Lantern, like you said).

You don't give a shit about those films but a lot of people do, for a reason (as I said, they are mediocre individually like ComptonTerry explained but when viewed as a whole, 'big movie' or similar to a Continuing Series, they are much better thanks to the details that have in common; I call it 'The Avengers Syndrome' and I'm writing an article were I explain it better, I'll post it here when I'm done).

I would say that Marvel's game is better at mantaining a good level than DC. Nolan is not going to be there forever (a director with his creativity won't be more than a producer in future installments) and DC hasn't done anything without him. They'll be lost (specially if they trust directors like Zack Synder or the Speed Racer brothers, like rumors said).
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

didich wrote:They'll be lost (specially if they trust directors like Zack Synder or the Speed Racer brothers, like rumors said).
I understand and respect your opinions. But I don't think Zack Snyder's that bad of a director, and I think Man of Steel will be great.

07202012 wrote:
didich wrote:They'll be lost (specially if they trust directors like Zack Synder or the Speed Racer brothers, like rumors said).
I understand and respect your opinions. But I don't think Zack Snyder's that bad of a director, and I think Man of Steel will be great.
He's a great creative, the teaser shows that (I loved it!). But I hope that they get a good screenwriter for future installments (this one has JN but only to rewrite).

On the other side, I truly think that the WAchoskis are not a good option for that hypothetical JL film.

The Watchmen and Speed Racer are both excellent movies!
I don't see the hate towards The Watchmen if you're coming at it without being biased from the source material.
And with Speed Racer, they made cooky, silly, campy work which is extremely hard to do and for that they deserve a golden cookie.

I think that marvel will just keep wanting to release sequels to their movies just for money imo instead of where chris nolan decided to do a trilogy not to make money or anything like that it was only to show make an amazing story without having to do endless sequels to his movies.

ionquack wrote:

The Watchmen and Speed Racer are both excellent movies!
I don't see the hate towards The Watchmen if you're coming at it without being biased from the source material.
And with Speed Racer, they made cooky, silly, campy work which is extremely hard to do and for that they deserve a golden cookie.
I'm sorry but I hated Speed Racer.