Top 10 Films of 2012

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Durden wrote:I don't think I will ever understand the hype around Perks of a wallflower, sure it is a good film, but far from great IMO. :shifty:
I did not even think it was good. It was kind of poorly done with the performances saving it to make it mediocre, I thought it was going to be pretty good though.

Allstar wrote:
Durden wrote:I don't think I will ever understand the hype around Perks of a wallflower, sure it is a good film, but far from great IMO. :shifty:
I did not even think it was good. It was kind of poorly done with the performances saving it to make it mediocre, I thought it was going to be pretty good though.
I think the whole relationship with Charlie and his aunt is poorly handled, and the film becomes rather predictable by the end. I guess younger crowd can relate to it, and are in love with the music and being an outcast, but I just couldn't get into it.
Last edited by Durden on January 13th, 2013, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durden wrote:
Allstar wrote: I did not even think it was good. It was kind of poorly done with the performances saving it to make it mediocre, I thought it was going to be pretty good though.
I think the whole relationship with Charlie and his aunt is poorly handled, and the film becomes rather predictable by the end.
Terribly handled, yeah. It was forced and out of nowhere.

Allstar wrote:
Durden wrote: I think the whole relationship with Charlie and his aunt is poorly handled, and the film becomes rather predictable by the end.
Terribly handled, yeah. It was forced and out of nowhere.
Exactly, left no emotional connection for the viewer, and seemed just thrown in.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. TDKR
3. Lincoln
4. Skyfall
5. Django Unchained
6. Looper
7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
8. Prometheus
9. The Avengers
10. Lawless

Red Hood wrote: 10. Lawless
:twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It basically did for me what Silver Linings Playbook(charming, but eh and oh so contrived and cliched. Felt like the Hollywood version of bipolar) did for others. I'm not sure if I dug the Aunt twist which might be a bit too much baggage for the troubled Charlie, but I bought it and hell it happens. That was the reason he was in a hospital before the flick started. It's just then he stops suppressing it. Actually he doesn't have that much baggage otherwise now that I think about it. Maybe it didn't need to be treated as twist. As far as coming of age tales in recent memory, it's funny, relatable, sweet, honest, and not afraid to address darker subjects. I think anyone who was 15 at any time will connect with it...or not. It treats teenagers as humans. Their not just thinly drawn one dimensional characters. Honestly I had no expectations for it, but it caught me by complete surprise.

1) The Dark Knight Rises
2) Zero Dark Thirty
3) Looper
4) Silver Linings Playbook
5) Skyfall
6) The Perks of Being a Wallflower
7) The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
8) Wreck-It Ralph
9) Argo
10) Seeking a Friend for the End of the World

Still hoping to add The Master, Django Unchained, and Lincoln to the list.

Not sure what is better: to present a final list now and include the films I haven't seen yet in the 2013 one or wait to watch those films until I put together a final list.
Un lladre es un artista. Fa servir la imaginació per lluirse cuan roba el seu trofeu. Els detectius només analitzen el delicte i ens denuncien. Els detectius son uns simples critics.

didich wrote:Not sure what is better: to present a final list now and include the films I haven't seen yet in the 2013 one or wait to watch those films until I put together a final list.
If the latter won't be for a while, I'd make a list now. Just remember to make a note of everything you need to see, domestic and foreign.

-Vader