Café Cinema: 1895 - 1999

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
dadosaboya wrote:
Red Hood wrote:
Yes. It was made in 1984.
Sure it counts! :twothumbsup: classic! :clap:
Its a classic and one of the greatest American movies. I didnt know if it belonged in the Cafe Cimema thread. :think:
Brave New World

edited my post bellow.

dadosaboya wrote:edited my post bellow.
:P I have no idea, I just saw that most of the films posted on this thread are.

Love Lawrence of Arabia. :twothumbsup:
Brave New World

The Lady Eve

Directed by Preston Sturges

Starring Henry Fonda and Barbara Stanwyck. The film is on Netflix Instant right now.

Outland (1981)

Directed, writen and shot by Peter Hyams (one the biggest Hollywood mainstream directors of the 80's) Outland is a science fiction thriller staring Sean Connery (badass). Set on a Jupiter moon, it has been described as a space Western because of its great thematic resemblance to High Noon.

Outland presented technical innovations. It was the first film to use IntroVision, a variation on Front Projection that allows foreground, midground and background elements to be combined in-camera, as opposed to bluescreen matting. This made the characters walking around the miniature sets even more convincing.

The production design is top notch. The sets are amazing.

The mostly atonal and dissonant music to Outland was composed and conducted by veteran composer Jerry Goldsmith

The 35mm film prints distributed to theaters featured Dolby Stereo audio and the 70mm Anamorphic Blow-Up film prints featured Six-Track Dolby Stereo audio. All prints were encoded for a MegaSound option, in which theaters needed to be outfitted with the additional required speakers. Outland was one of only four films released by Warner Bros. to make use of their MegaSound movie theater sound system in the early 1980s.

On its release, Outland had mixed reviews and the box office reception was just above its budget. But since then, it has become appreciated as one of the best sci-fis of the 80's. The film was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Sound.

Illustrated by legendary Jim Steranko, a beautiful comics adaptation of Outland appeared in Heavy Metal magazine from June 1981 till' January 1982.

On August 18, 2009, studio Warner Brothers announced that director Michael Davis had been hired to direct a remake of the film from a script by Chad St. John. No casting or start date information was announced

Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - David Lean

Monumental doesn't quite describe it.

@dado - appreciate your contributions as always, saw that movie (Outland) last year for the first time and it was something special indeed.

Thanks for another great post dado! Big fan of David Lean as well m4, possibly one of my favourite directors.

christophmac wrote:
m4st4 wrote:Image
Lawrence of Arabia (1962) - David Lean

Monumental doesn't quite describe it.
Big fan of David Lean as well m4, possibly one of my favourite directors.
Lean was a BIG boss. Lawrence of Arabia will always be one of the greatest epics of all time. Did a post on it a while ago. If you guys didn't catch it, here it is:

http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtop ... 9&start=10
m4st4 wrote:
christophmac wrote:Thanks for another great post dado!
@dado - appreciate your contributions as always, saw that movie (Outland) last year for the first time and it was something special indeed.
Don't mention it, guys! It's a pleasure to share cherished movie moments. Thank you m4st4, for creating this thread! :twothumbsup:

Outland is not flawless, but it sure is damn cool! State of the art pre-CGI FXs, excellent miniature models photography, awesome art direction, amazing sets, intense Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack, and a badass Sean Connery. Before directing, Peter Hyams was a prime cinematographer and this really stands out in the look of the film. The fact that it's clearly based on High Noon is another win. A great western story perfectly adapted into sci-fi.
The antecipation for the final showdown is thrilling. No one would help the Marshall face the hired killers arriving in the shuttle. It's that "don't give a damn - one man against the system" classic situation.
Last but not least, I proudly own the Steranko comics adaptation in my Heavy Metal collection. So, for a lot of reasons, Outland has a special place in my sci-fi hall of fame! :clap:

Mondo Releases the Next Wave of UNIVERSAL MONSTER Posters from Their Gallery Show

That Frankenstein's Bride, me wants it preciouss.