Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
< Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

I'm seriously confused by the reactions in general. Some are saying, "OMG, this is some fucking weird shit, what the fuck is going on here?" and then there are plenty of others who are like "Yeah, whatever, this was pretty straightforward".

Something's not right here, lol.£

I prefer Rey as part of a broader ensemble, and
I'm delighted that she accidentally aids and abets a fairly shocking coup
I still think the character is a case of "we'll see"

Master Virgo wrote:< Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

I'm seriously confused by the reactions in general. Some are saying, "OMG, this is some fucking weird shit, what the fuck is going on here?" and then there are plenty of others who are like "Yeah, whatever, this was pretty straightforward".

It's an ambitious film but not that weird.

NFometer (89%)
Based on the Ratings of 14 Members
Average Score: (8.3/10)

Positive

ArmandFancypants (9.5/10)
m4st4 (9/10)
Michaelf2225 (9/10)
natalie (9/10)
Baniac (9/10)
CoolwhipSpecial (9/10)
antovolk (8.5/10)
BlairCo (8.5/10)
Sanchez (8.5/10)
Cilogy (8/10)
Law (8/10)
Bacon (7.7/10)

Mixed to Positive

Batfan175 (7/10)

Mixed

mosh89 (6/10)

£

Allstar wrote:
Master Virgo wrote:< Yes, sorry, that's what I meant.

It's an ambitious film but not that weird.
It's both. It's a little weird.

@Virgo: Most fans that are being vocal about their dislike for the film (once again, lol, not me) seem to having an opinion (many even outright saying it) that is of "It's not a bad movie. I just don't like it." And they're usually saying it due to the directions it took. Story, not storytelling.

I don't see the argument of Del Toro's character being pointless, Finn and Poe both progress as characters by understanding that what was going on is bigger than them, Rey also learns this in her own way. Do we now have two "grey" jedi? I hope so as this is really interesting moving forward, I love how this film is uprooting everything we know of.
I bet Rey creates her own double lightsaber (her weapons a quarterstaff for christs sake), and hopefully, it would be cool if she has two different sides, or a new color, to signify her enlightenment in this movie.

I love the recurring theme of arrogance being everybodys downfall, and I love the fact every character learns the bigger picture in their own way. This was the most important Star Wars story since A New Hope. Loved the kamikaze and loved the gotcha moment with the steam iron.

Yes, some humor felt a little odd, milking the udder and drinking it into the camera, what was that?
I also agree that Dern's character was a little nonsensical withholding the plans, especially since she killed (or was it stunned?), to defend them.
And yes some sections should have been faster in pacing, but this was a damn awesome movie.

put me down for a 9

Fuck me, NF ate a post I was writing for like an hour.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Fuck me, NF ate a post I was writing for like an hour.

-Vader
Very interested in your detailed thoughts. Don't give up, please.

with the Holdo plotline, I think it's important to remember that we are following the characters defying her because they're defying her. I agree that the film doesn't do a great job of showing Poe being on the outer, but I was satisfied with the demotion being enough.

I would say though that her withholding the information doesn't actually hurt the Resistance though.

Second Viewing

Yup.

Bump me up to 9/10.