Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi (2017)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I can't wait for round two and three this weekend.
9/10 for me. Top 3 in the saga.

Vader182 wrote:I spent a lot of my screening distracted and confused.... since unless I missed something... and I feel like I did, I'm pretty sure half of the entire movie's plotline only exists because...
Holdo kept her plan to herself.... just to passive aggressively teach Poe---who just saved the universe by blowing up Starkiller Base like RIGHT BEFORE The Last Jedi---a lesson in humility. She did more to destroy the resistance than Snoke did...

-Vader
This bothered me at first, but I've kind of come to terms with it because so much of the movie is about people making mistakes or the wrong decision in the heat of the moment. Whether it's Luke contemplating killing one of his own students, or Poe getting an entire bombing squadron destroyed. Holdo's decision definitely fits thematically - the problem to me seems like it's probably just a plot convenience, because Johnson treats her as a hero even though she majorly fucked up.
Last edited by Michaelf2225 on December 15th, 2017, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I liked it okay but did not love it. Some of the humor was great and some was out of place. Not sure if the build up for certain characters was worth it or wasted or both.

But Damn it was good to see Luke again but I'll stop there. Perhaps it will grow on me.

I'm not picky for Star Wars films usually (only one I strongly dislike is Clones). But this had so many problems.

Honestly want to talk to people about this. Don't treat me as a troll. If anything, I'm a Rian fanboy.
Why are people saying this does so much new stuff and is so ambitious when the characters almost all end up where they were at the end of VII?

Michaelf2225 wrote:
Vader182 wrote:I spent a lot of my screening distracted and confused.... since unless I missed something... and I feel like I did, I'm pretty sure half of the entire movie's plotline only exists because...
Holdo kept her plan to herself.... just to passive aggressively teach Poe---who just saved the universe by blowing up Starkiller Base like RIGHT BEFORE The Last Jedi---a lesson in humility. She did more to destroy the resistance than Snoke did...

-Vader
This bothered me at first, but I've kind of come to terms with it because so much of the movie is about people making mistakes or the wrong decision in the heat of the moment. Whether it's Luke contemplating killing one of his own students, or Poe getting an entire bombing squadron destroyed. Holdo's decision definitely fits thematically - the problem to me seems like it's probably just a plot convince, because Johnson treats her as a hero even though she majorly fucked up.
You hit the nail on the head.
Firstly, I'm not sure having half of your movie's storyline be the result of a commander arbitrarily withholding important strategic information to a galaxy-saving war hero "to teach him a lesson" is ever a good idea.

Secondly, that decision is what motivates the entire Finn/Rose/Poe plot and leads to the fall of the rebellion. If Holdo isn't withholding, Finn doesn't get DJ, Crait doesn't happen. Worse, it completely undercuts their mission and everything that happens to them. There's little weight to that half of The Last Jedi because it's motivated by a bizarre decision made by a character who "shows up" as an obvious plot device to be unnecessarily shitty.

Thirdly, in-text, Holdo is treated like a brilliant hero and martyr (and given one of the coolest moments of the movie) whereas Poe "learns his lesson" and turns ships back on Crait. ...But within the text of the movie, Poe caused far less damage to The Resistance than Holdo did..

Fourthly and finally, obviously RJ followed Empire in spirit by turning every character's strengths into weaknesses. Like Luke going to save his friends in Empire, mistakes are made. But the biggest mistakes made by the biggest characters have little or no consequence on the overall story. Nothing Finn, Rey, Poe or Kylo Ren do have a huge negative outcome...but a ..weird... and unaccountable mistake by a minor character literally destroys the entire resistance.

-Vader
Last edited by Vader182 on December 15th, 2017, 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vader wrote:Nothing Finn, Rey, Poe or Kylo Ren do have a huge negative outcome
This is one my main problems with the film.

Location: 'Taked baby. Meet at later bar, night or day sometime
I think this is by far the best of the Disney films so far.

Rian made me care for two characters I didn't care st all in TFA
Hux and Poe were so better written this time and were actual characters

Yeah, best characters were Poe, Luke, and Kylo. But it's still like....
Nothing happens in this movie lol

You guys wanted something new, now that wasn’t good enough. This will sound incredibly trolly but let us all enjoy the inevitable safeness of Episode IX, shall we. We all deserve it.