Joker in TDK vs Joker in the comics

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
it's its own thing while hitting all the right notes of the character in the comics. I've heard some people say that it's a one-note character, which i don't agree with at all because whenever he tells his own origins we sense some sort of anger and tiredness that contrasts sharply with his otherwise flamboyant behaviour. He also seems to have an aversion to the word "freak", which is a nice touch.

Batfan175 wrote:it's its own thing while hitting all the right notes of the character in the comics. I've heard some people say that it's a one-note character, which i don't agree with at all because whenever he tells his own origins we sense some sort of anger and tiredness that contrasts sharply with his otherwise flamboyant behaviour. He also seems to have an aversion to the word "freak", which is a nice touch.
People calling him a one-note character is actually quite funny when you know that Zimmer's Joker theme consists of only one note. So in a sense, he is a one-note character. ;)

Celestin wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:it's its own thing while hitting all the right notes of the character in the comics. I've heard some people say that it's a one-note character, which i don't agree with at all because whenever he tells his own origins we sense some sort of anger and tiredness that contrasts sharply with his otherwise flamboyant behaviour. He also seems to have an aversion to the word "freak", which is a nice touch.
People calling him a one-note character is actually quite funny when you know that Zimmer's Joker theme consists of only one note. So in a sense, he is a one-note character. ;)
Yeah that's right. i have to say that I like Aaron Eckhart's performance more though because of the tragedy of the character but also the subtlety of the performance. he is the only character in this whole series to ever shout out in anger. Aaron Eckhart's performance was sadly overlooked and even when I am looking at this forum there aren't too many threads about harvey dent/ Two-face :( .

Batfan175 wrote:
Yeah that's right. i have to say that I like Aaron Eckhart's performance more though because of the tragedy of the character but also the subtlety of the performance. he is the only character in this whole series to ever shout out in anger. Aaron Eckhart's performance was sadly overlooked and even when I am looking at this forum there aren't too many threads about harvey dent/ Two-face :( .
That's interesting, I never thought about that shouting in anger fact. He does have a right to be angry. But I think it's overlooked because Eckhart simply didn't bring it like the other actors did. His acting was hit and miss for me. On one hand, I love his little boy love for Rachel, who is obviously torn. I love the line, "I'm fine, by the way."

But sometimes his performance wasn't all that. The scene where he is interrogating Thomas Schiff... Eckhart's attempt to convey hostility and frustration I think is amateur. Well, not amateur, but it sure seems that way when juxtaposed to an Academy Award-winning role. One line that always makes me cringe with awkwardness is the way Eckhart raises his voice when he says, "You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time."

his acting was just mediocre...the character was well written but he was pretty flat in it. Mark Ruffalo wouldve been better.

:lol:

Billy Dee Williams would have been better.

Falcone wrote:
Batfan175 wrote:
That's interesting, I never thought about that shouting in anger fact. He does have a right to be angry. But I think it's overlooked because Eckhart simply didn't bring it like the other actors did. His acting was hit and miss for me. On one hand, I love his little boy love for Rachel, who is obviously torn. I love the line, "I'm fine, by the way."

But sometimes his performance wasn't all that. The scene where he is interrogating Thomas Schiff... Eckhart's attempt to convey hostility and frustration I think is amateur. Well, not amateur, but it sure seems that way when juxtaposed to an Academy Award-winning role. One line that always makes me cringe with awkwardness is the way Eckhart raises his voice when he says, "You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time."
But he manages to pull off playing a sympathetic and a vile character in the same film. That's harder than playing a character like the Joker who is just evil throughout the film. two-face is also the real antagonist of the film, not the Joker because it's the reaction people have towards the joker's actions that matters and whereas batman stays firm, harvey folds quickly. that's also why the last confrontation in the film is between Two-face and batman and it's not a fist fight but an attempt to reason with the revenge-driven vigilante because the emotional reaction most people have as victims of particularly heinous crimes is to get even, whereas batman wants everyone (including the offender) to get the justice they are owed by a fair and impartial system. My favourite line is "i said it couldn't hurt your chances" when he confronts Maroni in the car. We know it's true: Maroni can tell him whatever he wants to hear, he's not going to change the rules of his game. That's why two-face can totally like you but when the time comes to make a moral decision he might kill you all the same because the coin dictates everything.

Batfan175 wrote:Aaron Eckhart's performance was sadly overlooked and even when I am looking at this forum there aren't too many threads about harvey dent/ Two-face :( .
i agree. He's superior to Ledger in certain scenes, no doubt for me.
Falcone wrote:Eckhart's attempt to convey hostility and frustration I think is amateur. Well, not amateur, but it sure seems that way when juxtaposed to an Academy Award-winning role. One line that always makes me cringe with awkwardness is the way Eckhart raises his voice when he says, "You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time."
Billy Dee Williams would have been better.
mchekhov wrote:his acting was just mediocre...the character was well written but he was pretty flat in it. Mark Ruffalo wouldve been better.
what the f++k are you saying?
Are you damn serious??

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Eckhart wasnt underrated or overrated. He was perfectly rated. As was Heath Ledger. A rare time when the actors received the appropriate amount of praise. Saying Eckhart outdit Ledger somehow is just silly. Eckhart did a fine job with the material, but any number of actors could have played the role of "crusading district attorney". And once he became Two-Face, you have to give the fx folks at least half the credit.

Eckhart was rated, period.