Do you think Heath's performance is the best of all time?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
christophmac wrote: - JGL is a really bad actor. Fact, according to Nolanfans.

i dont think anyone has ever called him that here

christophmac wrote:
agentofoblivion wrote:All right fair enough lol I'm pretty out ranked. Not looking to get kicked off a site my first day. I'm just stating opinion.
The one thing I don't like about NolanFans is that it has become fashionable to think certain ways and unnaceptable to think in other ways. For example:

- Tom Hardy is the best actor working today. Fact, according to Nolanfans. I am of this opinion wholeheartedly, he is definitely my favourite actor and has been for a while now, but people are too quick to criticise when someone disagrees.
- JGL is a really bad actor. Fact, according to Nolanfans. I don't think this - while he'll never be an acting master, his performances are fine in my opinion.
- The Social Network is the most important film of the last 10 years. Fact, according to Nolanfans. They may be right, to be honest, it is one of the most culturally important films of recent years - but as soon as someone says they don't like it they're 'full retard'.

I don't blame any member for these things becoming widely appreciated as facts, just the majority opinions crushing everyone else's view.
This. :clap:

christophmac wrote:
agentofoblivion wrote:All right fair enough lol I'm pretty out ranked. Not looking to get kicked off a site my first day. I'm just stating opinion.
The one thing I don't like about NolanFans is that it has become fashionable to think certain ways and unnaceptable to think in other ways. For example:

- Tom Hardy is the best actor working today. Fact, according to Nolanfans. I am of this opinion wholeheartedly, he is definitely my favourite actor and has been for a while now, but people are too quick to criticise when someone disagrees.
- JGL is a really bad actor. Fact, according to Nolanfans. I don't think this - while he'll never be an acting master, his performances are fine in my opinion.
- The Social Network is the most important film of the last 10 years. Fact, according to Nolanfans. They may be right, to be honest, it is one of the most culturally important films of recent years - but as soon as someone says they don't like it they're 'full retard'.

I don't blame any member for these things becoming widely appreciated as facts, just the majority opinions crushing everyone else's view.

just the majority opinions crushing everyone else's view.
Yeah I have seen this firsthand.

Hah, I get fond memories back to when I joined here. My personal encounter with the circlejerk TRAIN of opinions vs my lone opinion was something I had experienced before at imdb. I just had not met a group which was [that] bunched together. The talli thing was also a solid proof to that, but he is desperate for attention and he always gets it so, I am sure its a win win.

I just think people are a little overly passionate, myself included lol. It's always hard to interpret the tone of someone on a board aswell. I actually think Heath was a great actor, and totally deserved his oscor. But, its just like anyone cut down in their prime. He's legendary for dying. He could have been legendary from his acting ability if he kept it up, but the fact is he checked out early. It sucks but how can you compare a carreer like his which was mostly dud movies) to a guy thats been acting for 40 plus years i.e. DeNiro?

agentofoblivion wrote:I just think people are a little overly passionate, myself included lol. It's always hard to interpret the tone of someone on a board aswell. I actually think Heath was a great actor, and totally deserved his oscor. But, its just like anyone cut down in their prime. He's legendary for dying. He could have been legendary from his acting ability if he kept it up, but the fact is he checked out early. It sucks but how can you compare a carreer like his which was mostly dud movies) to a guy thats been acting for 40 plus years i.e. DeNiro?

it's not a comparison of careers. it's a comparison of performance. Heath hit something very special with his performance. Why were people so captivated by his joker? This was a psychopath, a murderer, yet we all wanted to follow him into his world of chaos. He seduced the audience.

Heath perfectly channeled an archetype that is very well alive within us. That's why the performance resonated so strongly within us all.

also, his characterization was of the fantastical realm. It wasn't naturalistic. It felt surreal. Yet all so real at the same time. Those are the type of characters that floor us and mesmerize us. They capture a heightened essence of ourselves and put a mirror to us. They cannot be like everyday people we encounter. It takes way more bravery, creativity, and talent to perform on that level than to create a naturalistic performance like the one in Taxi Driver.

talli wrote:
agentofoblivion wrote:I just think people are a little overly passionate, myself included lol. It's always hard to interpret the tone of someone on a board aswell. I actually think Heath was a great actor, and totally deserved his oscor. But, its just like anyone cut down in their prime. He's legendary for dying. He could have been legendary from his acting ability if he kept it up, but the fact is he checked out early. It sucks but how can you compare a carreer like his which was mostly dud movies) to a guy thats been acting for 40 plus years i.e. DeNiro?

it's not a comparison of careers. it's a comparison of performance. Heath hit something very special with his performance. Why were people so captivated by his joker? This was a psychopath, a murderer, yet we all wanted to follow him into his world of chaos. He seduced the audience.

Heath perfectly channeled an archetype that is very well alive within us. That's why the performance resonated so strongly within us all.

also, his characterization was of the fantastical realm. It wasn't naturalistic. It felt surreal. Yet all so real at the same time. Those are the type of characters that floor us and mesmerize us. They capture a heightened essence of ourselves and put a mirror to us. They cannot be like everyday people we encounter. It takes way more bravery, creativity, and talent to perform on that level than to create a naturalistic performance like the one in Taxi Driver.
that's a strong argument and i do agree with you for the most part. The only thing i have to say to that is: doesn't it give you more freedom though to play a surreal character like that? I think its kinda apples and oranges with TDK and Taxi Driver specifically. The context of that film and its mark on film history have to be taken into account aswell.

agentofoblivion wrote:
talli wrote:

that's a strong argument and i do agree with you for the most part. The only thing i have to say to that is: doesn't it give you more freedom though to play a surreal character like that? I think its kinda apples and oranges with TDK and Taxi Driver specifically. The context of that film and its mark on film history have to be taken into account aswell.
sure, there's freedom, but do you have the courage and fearlessness to act out on that freedom? do you trust your creativity to lead you? are you willing to fall completely flat on your face? most actors don't. That's why we don't have performances like this as often. Truth is, there is always freedom...but actors are scared to make choices that will potentially wind up with them failing.

Now that i don't agree with. If anything the biggest problem with actors is that they can't see the vision the director has for them and try to take too many liberties. I think Heath did a great job of walking that line though. the thing i love about the role is that it seemed so far out of his comfort zone and he nailed it.