"5 dead, 2 of them cops"

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
anonymity wrote:So I finally feel comfortable with the conclusion I've made about this situation. And I'm set on this conclusion. Sorry if I'm a day late and a dollar short. I'm sure someone has mentioned it as well but before this scenario didn't work for me into I put it in proper perspective. So this is my final theory on the 5 dead, 2 of them cops.

Batman takes the blame for 5 deaths. He's taking the blame for 5 deaths that Harvey Dent is responsible for. So Harvey is not included in this body count. Now because I was only in the mind frame that is was the people Dent killed I was unable to come to this conclusion. I didn't think Gordon could be counting the cop shot by the Joker at the hospital but I now believe that is the case. And here is why:

So once Gordon has agreed to pin the situation on Batman his report has to put Batman in the same location with Dent. Because Batman was the threat not Harvey Dent. As far as everyone is concerned Harvey was strapped to a hospital bed. Now we know that the Joker visited him and released him. But there is no witness to attest to that. So in this scenario Gordon would write up a report something like this. Keep in mind the mindset is that Batman is now a killer.

Batman kidnaps Harvey Dent from the hospital. Cop gets in his way so Batman kills him [1 cop dead].
Batman visits Detective Wuertz to question his involvement with the mob, kills him. [1 cop dead]
Batman pursues and terminates Sal Maroni and two henchmen. [3 dead]

Total dead = 5, 2 cops

Lastly he would eliminate the District Attorney for failing to rid the streets of scum in the way Batman saw fit.

This is just the most plausible theory for me to a question that has plagued me for 3 and a half years now. :problem:
I think we have a winner.

Didn't even know this was an issue. :lol:

But wut about DAIVS!!!

I mean Davis.

Wait, since Ramirez is alive at the end of the film, wouldn't she still know about Harvey..?

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:Wait, since Ramirez is alive at the end of the film, wouldn't she still know about Harvey..?

-Vader

Good point!

steveportee wrote:What about Davis?
You're right Steve. That puts a hole in my theory. But we don't know what happened to him. He could have decided to take off and leave Dent.
Vader182 wrote:Wait, since Ramirez is alive at the end of the film, wouldn't she still know about Harvey..?

-Vader
Yes, this is a very good point!! I'm wondering if it will be addressed.

-Vader
Gordon would tell her to shut the hell up. Then again she'd be up for some jail time, considering what she did. So no-one would believe her because she's a felon looking for some scapegoat.

'Dent almost killed you? Pfftt sure.'
Do you... like pineapple?

anonymity wrote:
steveportee wrote:What about Davis?
You're right Steve. That puts a hole in my theory. But we don't know what happened to him. He could have decided to take off and leave Dent.

-Vader
I suggest not to consider Wuertz as a cop, and to have Davis instead as one of the two cops, and to reduce the amount of Maroni's men count to one, that makes five.

Sure, you say we should approach your theory as 'reporting Batman as a killer', but if Maroni's second man wasn't on the crime scene (in the car), then there's no reason to make things more troublesome and adding one more to the body count.

dan720 wrote:
anonymity wrote:

I suggest not to consider Wuertz as a cop, and to have Davis instead as one of the two cops, and to reduce the amount of Maroni's men count to one, that makes five.

Sure, you say we should approach your theory as 'reporting Batman as a killer', but if Maroni's second man wasn't on the crime scene (in the car), then there's no reason to make things more troublesome and adding one more to the body count.
How can you suggest not considering Wuertz a cop when IN FACT he was a cop?

The number 5 isn't up for debate. Harvey Dent is responsible for 5 deaths. 2 of which were cops. The explanation (quoted) at the top of this page really covers it strongly.

chee wrote:
infamous wrote:Alrighty guys, here's my take on it.

5 Dead, 2 of them cops.

Maroni
Body Guard
Driver

Gordon knew Wuertz and Ramirez were dirty and most likely involved in Dent/Rachel's capture and knew Dent knew it too.

Wuertz
Ramirez

Gordon assumes he killed them both.
Ramirez is alive.
No he's saying he probably assumed that Dent killed her because she was the most likely person who picked up Rachel and Gordon already knew Wuertz picked him up.