Is the joker a sane man?

Christopher Nolan's 2008 mega success about Batman's attempts to defeat a criminal mastermind known only as the Joker.
Sorry , other than '89 Batman Joker, (which compared to Heath Ledger's interpretation comes off as a cartoon character, still brilliant and worthy of its Oscar nomination) I've only been exposed to the Batman: Animated Series. Which despite it's ambitious title is still just a kids cartoon, G Rated. I never read the Comics , and its two-dimensionalality is by the very definition a cartoon character. If there are comics that you can recommend, I'd would love to understand your view of the character, it took 19 years between cinematic interpretations, and it looks like it will take at least 20 more with the stigma the character is being given. I would love to discover something new. Thanks Friend!!!!!!

I think Se7en is one of the best films to actually talk about sanity. In the Scene in the Police Car near the end, I really like that Pitt's Character asks the question to John Doe whether he is aware that he's insane. He never gives a straight answer, but he is aware that he doesn't regret killing those people and only did it for personal-moral reasons. The line "It's more comfortable for you to label me insane" is basically 'what we seen in insane people' overall; we can label things as we see them to be, but the things will still believe what they do is the right thing. The Joker is a complex character because you don't know whether he is aware that he's enjoying the chaos he has made, or he isn't aware the the damage it can cause. But I still think he's insane because he did those things for no moral reason at all; he enjoyed it. John Doe doesn't regret it, but he can tell the difference between right and wrong.

BlairCo wrote:I think Se7en is one of the best films to actually talk about sanity. In the Scene in the Police Car near the end, I really like that Pitt's Character asks the question to John Doe whether he is aware that he's insane. He never gives a straight answer, but he is aware that he doesn't regret killing those people and only did it for personal-moral reasons. The line "It's more comfortable for you to label me insane" is basically 'what we seen in insane people' overall; we can label things as we see them to be, but the things will still believe what they do is the right thing. The Joker is a complex character because you don't know whether he is aware that he's enjoying the chaos he has made, or he isn't aware the the damage it can cause. But I still think he's insane because he did those things for no moral reason at all; he enjoyed it. John Doe doesn't regret it, but he can tell the difference between right and wrong.
:clap: :clap: :goNF:

Speaking to the Jokers sanity, I would equate him more with Tyler Durden than John Doe. He's not a murdering psychopath, he gives people the rope to hang themself. "Tear themselves apart through fear."

ThePrestige wrote:Speaking to the Jokers sanity, I would equate him more with Tyler Durden than John Doe. He's not a murdering psychopath, he gives people the rope to hang themself. "Tear themselves apart through fear."
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Brave New World

Joker actually is sane, casted out anti-social. Maybe Megalomaniac, with his God complex presiding over the ferries kill or be killed
option. (and actually he stalls from having to "do everything ourselves" because he can't bring himself to do it", and he is hysterically relieved when Batman stops him. He's takes upon himself the role politicians force others to do themselves.

ThePrestige wrote:Joker actually is sane, casted out anti-social. Maybe Megalomaniac, with his God complex presiding over the ferries kill or be killed
option. (and actually he stalls from having to "do everything ourselves" because he can't bring himself to do it", and he is hysterically relieved when Batman stops him. He's takes upon himself the role politicians force others to do themselves.
Ive been reading your posts and opinions on TDK and they are really good. Most people just look at them as a joke because, this thread is a joke and these older Nolan film threads are rarely active. :clap:
Brave New World

Ryan, thank you. It's very therapeutic. I sincerely believe these movies are the very top of art at it's highest form.

In a land that's "tearing itself apart through fear". The Joker finds salvation through laughter. Also there is a "Axis Chemicals" subplot in the movie that is'nt directly referred too but the Joker has hooked up with the Scarecrow. (Evidence by the Batman Impersonator Ryan Duckworth who Batman left tied up with the Scarecrow in Batmans first scene that he films with his hand held camera... look at me...LOOK AT ME!!!) The poor guy Ryan Duckworth is killed by Fear. The Joker found surivival in laughing in the face of fear. From a young age he learns fear is consuming. He learns profoundly that chaos is fear. Laughter is somehow control and order for him.

ThePrestige wrote:Sorry , other than '89 Batman Joker, (which compared to Heath Ledger's interpretation comes off as a cartoon character, still brilliant and worthy of its Oscar nomination) I've only been exposed to the Batman: Animated Series. Which despite it's ambitious title is still just a kids cartoon, G Rated. I never read the Comics , and its two-dimensionalality is by the very definition a cartoon character. If there are comics that you can recommend, I'd would love to understand your view of the character, it took 19 years between cinematic interpretations, and it looks like it will take at least 20 more with the stigma the character is being given. I would love to discover something new. Thanks Friend!!!!!!
ThePrestige wrote:Speaking to the Jokers sanity, I would equate him more with Tyler Durden than John Doe. He's not a murdering psychopath, he gives people the rope to hang themself. "Tear themselves apart through fear."
He's not? I think I remember the Joker doing some killing. Let me see... in Batman 89, he kills a bunch of people and in TDK, he kills that guy with the pencil magic trick, kills Gambol with his knife (why so serious?), blows up judge Surrillo, puts acid in Loeb's drink, kills and hangs Brian (that bat copycat), shoots a cop with a shotgun from inside the truck, blows up that crazy guy in jail with an implanted cel bomb to his stomach, blows Rachel up, shoots another cop in the hospital, burns Lao alive on top of the money pile... (am I forget anything?)
not to mention what he does in the comics. :crazy:

By the way, "Tear themselves apart through fear." is a line said by Ra's Al Ghul.