Wait, NOLAN directed this?

This 2002 remake of a Norwegian film follows a Los Angeles homicide detective dispatched to Alaska to investigate the murder of a local teen.
I've know about this film for quite some time now, but I never know until JUST NOW that Christopher Nolan directed this movie! :o Is it any good, 'cause I've heard otherwise?

:?:

I very much enjoyed this movie. It is the only movie that Nolan has directed that he hasn't also had a part in writing the script. I think it displays his great ability as a director. It probably stands as his worst film, but is still fantastic in my mind. It, like all his other movies, just keeps getting better the more you watch it.

Oh is an amazing movie, I understand most of the people don't enjoy this kind of film because of it's singular vibe, most of my friends don't like it, but it has a very good story and is very well acted.

Coming from the town where the original was shot, I must say Nolan's remake is without a doubt the best remake I've seen of any movie. Nolan rewrote it a tiny bit and made it friendlier to the american audience, but the movie's keypoints is the same, and Nolan maintained the same atmosphere as well. Overbright, overworked, tired and out of control.

mastervirgo, I simply meant that its the only film he isn't credited as a writer on. I know he made some drastic changes from the original script because I have read it. I really think this is people's least favorite because it his only film that isn't truly his. Its a studio film that he was hired to direct, he made it awesome, but it wasn't his conception and thus lacks that added Nolan flair to it. But it is still much better than it would have been had they used the original script.

theweatherman wrote:mastervirgo, I simply meant that its the only film he isn't credited as a writer on. I know he made some drastic changes from the original script because I have read it. I really think this is people's least favorite because it his only film that isn't truly his. Its a studio film that he was hired to direct, he made it awesome, but it wasn't his conception and thus lacks that added Nolan flair to it. But it is still much better than it would have been had they used the original script.
Now, I'm very interested in this. What kind of changes did he make? Plot points? The tone of the dialogues? Both?

I didn't read the whole thing and it may not have been the final draft, but for one thing
Dormer lives
which is pretty stupid and would have totally ruined the movie.

Woah, that's not a minor detail!
And yeah, I agree, it was a good decision on Nolan's part to change that.

They have the script on this site if you wanted to take a look at it.