Memento analysis

The famous 2000 film that put Christopher Nolan on the map tells the story of a man on the hunt for the man he thinks killed his wife.
I'll be editing and uploading the rest of my essay soon if anyone is interested. Might do the same with my Prestige essay when I get graded.. if the grade is any good :lol: handed it in today. Fingers crossed.

Tristy wrote:I meant to ask you this earlier, lalyil, but what was the thesis of your paper?
Well, I'm not a 100% sure how to title it in English, but we had to analyse a movie and its popularity/success according to themes we studied (we studied about 15 themes and had to choose the ones best suitable) in Popular Culture.
It was the final essay in that 1-semester course, so not really that large, it did account for 80% of our final grade in this course though and while we could only write up to 5-pages, making it this short was the hard part, cos points were taken off if you ignored themes better-suitable and obviously you couldn't write about everything.

So the purpose was to determine a film's attraction to moviegoers based on its philosophical underpinnings?

Tristy wrote:So the purpose was to determine a film's attraction to moviegoers based on its philosophical underpinnings?
Well, not exactly. I would say there were two purposes. 1. to find common issues/themes from popular culture in the film. 2. to put our finger on the reason why the film succeeded or didn't.

Of course you try to connect the two.. but basically my essay went - general information, popularity, reasons for popularity (last one was the fact people rewatch it many times because it's built like a puzzle), then I explained the construction of the film in a way and started getting deeper and deeper into the themes I found ;)

I'll upload the rest of it tomorrow so will be easier to understand then, just working hard on translating it properly, as I only translated bits of it for my lecturer.

lalyil wrote:I'll upload the rest of it tomorrow so will be easier to understand then.....
Looking forward to it!

don't know when I'll be on here again so before my surgery in the morning I finished translating my essay at last, took about 2 weeks. I uploaded it here http://www.essayupload.com/view_essay.php?id=125 I wish I could edit my original post but since I can't I'll post this here too. I realize it's long but hope some of you will read it and enjoy it and give me feedback.
Tattoos Mirroring The Past: Analysis Of The Film Memento
"We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I\'m no different."

"Memento" came out in 2001 and it\'s the second feature film by director-producer-screenwriter, Christopher Nolan. The film is based on a short story written by the director\'s younger brother, Jonathan Nolan, which has only been published after the film came out. The production\'s cost is considered minor in the world of cinema, 9 million dollars, and it was filmed in just 25 days (IMDb, n.d.). The narrative is constructed in a very unusual way. The colorful scenes, which one might argue, describe the external conflict of the hero, are arranged in reverse order, end to start. In contrast, the black-white ones, which could be explained as describing the hero\'s inner conflict, are arranged in chronological order (but in fact should appear before all the colorful scenes). Finally, the two narrative lines connect to one, black-white scene - that changes into colorful during. A sort-of analogy of the hero\'s internal conflict taking over his external world.

"Memento"\'s popularity is subject to debate. As appropriate for an independent film, its distribution wasn\'t as wide as film produced in Hollywood\'s big and well-known studio, and so were its takings. Moreover, in the US the film received the dubious rating, R, which restricts entry for audience 18 years of age and above (IMDb, n.d.). This rating usually hurts the gross of films (Henderson, 2008). However, despite never entering the number 1 spot in Box Office takings in the US, the film survived over half a year in the top 50, with its distribution getting wider every week, in accordance with its success. Only about 2 months after its release it even entered the top 10 (BoxOfficeMojo, n.d.). 39 million dollars may be considered a small gross in Hollywood\'s scales, but it still means a 200% profit. One might be able to attribute this success to the attention the film received from Academy of Motion Pictures, with two Oscar nominations, for editing and original screenplay, and for the even bigger attention the film received from film critics during 2001. In a website that follows film critics, the film is standing on 92% positive reviews (RottenTomatoes, n.d.). In addition, a marketing campaign in which flyers were handed out in festival and even sent to random homes, including only the address of the unusual website for the film, otnemem.com, should be mentioned. The website was published a long time before the film\'s release and even helped the Nolan brothers find a distributer in the film place (Molloy, 2010, p. 47). However, one might argue that most of "Memento"\'s success came from word of mouth recommendations (Klein, 2001). Klein describes the affect it had on the film\'s success as \'phenomenal\'. Moreover, he mentioned a phenomenon of "repeat viewings". Like many other films containing a surprising "twist", each scene in the film could be interpreted differently once you know where the film is heading.

Memento tells the story of Leonard who suffers from a type of short-term memory loss. He uses notes, Polaroid pictures and tattoos on his body in order to "get on with his life", when the force that powers his will to continue is revenge, killing the man who raped and murdered his wife and caused his memory loss. The scenes in the film are naturally very short, in accordance with the hero\'s memory\'s range. This fact, plus the extraordinary order of the narrative create a puzzle which is, allegedly, resolved at the end of the film – the end which is actually the beginning, the turning point which fuels the entire film. But, since the answer to that puzzle is that the narrator isn\'t at all reliable, the ending brings up countless questions. While the only conclusion is that the audience mustn\'t take any character or event for granted (Molloy, 2010, p. 42). The official website also helped in fixating this ambiguity, providing bits of newspapers and fabricated documents which hint about the hero\'s past. The ambiguity is certainly another factor behind the "repeat viewings" phenomenon. In an interview, Christopher Nolan it\'s obvious to him what "the truth" is, behind the story. However, his brother, Jonathan, told him he mustn\'t tell because "the audience enters the head of a narrator who doesn\'t know the truth himself. If we tell we will hurt the rules of story", then added "if we don\'t, we\'ll make more money" (Yamato, 2011, p. 2).

The "repeat viewings phenomenon" is the reason why many categorize "Memento" as a "cult film". According to the Oxford Dictionary, "cult films" are films that need to provide "constant attraction to a relatively small audience" and they mustn\'t be considered "part of the mainstream" (Haigh, 2010). The audience tends to watch these films many times, analyze and discuss them. An "active" audience, allegedly, in contrast to the audience who watches "mainstream" films. Some add that "cult films" are films that give the audience "insight concerning the meaning of their lives" (Faulkner, 2003, p. 2). That is the explanation, probably, for the amount of released books analyzing the film and interactive forums about the film which are still active on a daily basis, over a decade after its release. But it seems that "Memento" was always destined to be in the "sidelines". Not just because of its independent film status, but also because many were afraid to distribute it and saw it as esoteric (Molloy, 2010, p. 26). The assumption was that Americans would have trouble digesting the non-linear narrative, in addition to the alternative and creative commentary of the existing order that the film provides. Ultimately, the acceptance of the narrative\'s form surprised even the distributors. It seems like in the post-modern world (Gorovic\', n.d., "Basic Concepts"), which was built on foundations of internet use and video gaming, the viewers are culturally equipped to deal with a non-linear and complex narrative.

The role of the film\'s narrative structure and that in every scene the hero has to remind himself of the facts that drive him, give the feeling of living in a world without a clear meaning (Williams, 2003). A sense of nihilism in the post-modern world, criticism of the "Society of the Spectacle". A world entirely based on symbols and images (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Society of the Spectacle"). Tattoos, notes and Polaroids that make up the world of the hero, could as well be, to emphasize the materialism of the contemporary world, receipts of purchases for example. As noted by novelist Chuck Palahniuk ("Fight Club") in his interpretation of the film (Palahniuk, n.d.). A world where the classic structure of narrative disappeared. There is no beginning, middle and end, everything is built with short data segments - "status lines" in social networks - as quick as they appear, and as many as they are, they are forgotten and disappear from our memory. Without any real emotional significance. So Leonard has to look again and again at the information in his possession, every time he opens his eyes, in every short scene. Doubtful whether emotion is really still taking part.

Baudrillard said in his book that, in the not so distant past – between the two world wars – "the myths were driven from the \'Real\' by the violence of history, and found their sanctuary in cinema" (Baudrillard, 2006, p. 43). In the post-modern world, the sense of nostalgia and the "longing for the \'Real\'" – in the form of the past\'s violent wars – caused history to go through the same process. History itself takes the places of the myths on the screen. The biggest trauma of the time is actually the lack of piercing violence of the \'Real\'. Thus, we bring the history back from film, fashion and ideologies of the past. Namely, not because we believe in those fashions and ideologies or are interested in them – we bring them back emptied of their content. But we do this to revive the time in which at least "there was history". In which life and death were at stake. According to Baudrillard, in the post-modern world, history is no longer an objective measure of looking at the past, since the history itself is a myth (Baudrillard, 2006, p. 43). This claim creates a paradoxical relationship with the idea that we can create a coherent narrative from segmented information on events and circumstances. The subconscious – subjective and with its fractured capability to understand the \'Real\' in the post-modern world – questions our ability to understand, and obviously objectively represent the events of the past and their circumstances. A kind of "subjective reality", as is in "Memento".

Leonard lies in his bed and says "I have to believe in a world outside my own… I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world is still there", and answers himself positively. However, later on we find out that the world, as he represents it, doesn\'t really go on without him. He uses his own loss of memory to create his own reality. As he says in another scene, "facts, not memories, that\'s how I would investigate". But in his world facts are told through tattoos and pictures. Those create his history, which drives his reality. A reality which is no more than a way to hide the emptiness of a man who lives in absurd essence which is entirely stipulated on his whims and the way he chooses to view himself and those around him. Thus, using a few words in the back of a Polaroid picture he chooses who he will trust and who he won\'t. It should be noted that Teddy\'s credibility, who represents himself as a close friend of Leonard, changes in the eyes of the viewer all throughout the film – as Leonard sees fit. Until the understanding that Leonard himself, as the narrator, isn\'t trustworthy at all. At the end of the film, Leonard tattoos the license plate of Teddy\'s car on his hand. A tattoo which, eventually, brings forward his demise. When Leonard writes down Teddy\'s license plate, he accidently writes 1 instead of I, he even tattoos the wrong license plate on his body. However, in another scene where the car is visible, the license plate changes in accordance to Leonard\'s tattoo. Handwritten notes on the screenplay that were put up online proved it wasn\'t a mistake, but was actually planned this way. Another hint at the "subjective reality" of the film. The reality Leonard creates for himself.

Leonard\'s self-deception consists of another illusion. Throughout the film, during the black-white scenes, Leonard describes himself in the past as an insurance company investigator. He tells of a client he investigated, "Sammy Jenkins", who suffered from a memory problem quite similar to his. However, "Sammy Jenkins" is actually Leonard. He\'s an Imaginary object. The "Mirror Image", his own experience as someone else. As noted in the "Mirror Stage", a part of the "Imaginary Order" by Jacques Lacan (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real"). When Lacan describes the "Mirror Stage" he claims "misconceptions constitute the ego" (Lacan, 1977, pp. 4-5). In Leonard\'s case the illusion bursts the "Mirror Stage". Since, often this illusion slides into the "colorful world" of the film and thus drives some of his actions. In one of the colorful scenes, Leonard says that "we all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are". Therefore, it\'s possible that Leonard\'s distorted vision, the creation of "Sammy Jenkins", is a products of his lack of understanding of his own self. An expansion of the "misconceptions". This idea also causes a deliberate ambiguity of the notion of subjectivity in Leonard\'s world, in order to defend "his Real".

At the end of the film, when understanding that Leonard wants to continue to deceive himself to search and kill the murdered, only known as \'John G\', this murderer becomes a kind of "eternal myth", always true in the eyes of the believer. He will always be the murderer and Leonard will always have to find him. Even when Teddy shouts at Leonard that he already killed that \'John G\' and that this man never even murdered his wife, Leonard chooses to continue to believe in the myth. He asks himself "can I just let myself forget what you told me?", and chooses to do so. He prefers to make Teddy his new \'John G\', and acknowledge himself as a murderer for the short duration of the scene and his memory, rather than experiencing the shock of the truth. This way he actually tries to get rid of the "stubbornness of the \'Real\'". He repels the "breakthrough experience which reflects the passion of death" of the "Real Order" (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real"). Hence the name of the film, according to Zizek (Zizek, 2004, p. 276), "memento always relates to mori [death]". As Leonard describes "Sammy Jenkins" memory problem as different from his, since Sammy\'s is caused by a "mental block" and isn\'t physical, maybe Leonard himself chooses on his own to forget the \'Real\'. Thus he wouldn\'t have to experience the "emptiness" of it. The melancholy (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real").

"Trauma is fascinating to us, because it is always a temptation for something else, always a mask of another trauma" – Jacques Lacan (McGowan & Kunkle, 2004, p. 134). In Memento, we are attracted to the trauma of the murder. The mystery, the search for the killer. Like the classic film-noirs. However, the collision between the fictional world presented in the film using Leonard\'s narrative, to the breaking at the end - the dissolution of the thought that we "know it all", takes off a part of the mask that hides the real trauma of "Memento" - the trauma of choice. Leonard\'s choice of the \'Imaginary\' and his escape of the \'Real\'. This conflict also drives the audience away from the desire to discover the murderer; understanding not only that this desire is impossible, this desire is entirely phony – the murderer was not a murderer. Thus, it\'s entirely irrelevant. The viewer has to experience a kind of dissolution of a fictional world. The film is an endless circle that tells a story through a series of contradictions and ambiguities, even when it seems that the narrative is clear, the feeling quickly fades.

Bibliography

Baudrillard, J. (1994). Simulacra and Simulation (p. 43). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
BoxOfficeMojo (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=memento.htm
ChristopherNolan.net (n.d.). Memento Trivia: Memory is treachery. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.christophernolan.net/memento_mem.php
Faulkner, Dr. J. (2003). Does Philosophy Meet Film in Plato’s Cave? Or at the Pharmacy? Reflections on Memento. Retrieved March 8, 2012, from http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/faulkner/memento.pdf
Gorovic\', D. (n.d.). Postmodernism. Retrieved January 2, 2012 from http://www.ynet.co.il/yaan/0,7340,L-948 ... an,00.html
Gorovic\', D., & Arav, D. (2012). The Encyclopedia of Ideas (Society of the Spectacle; Imaginary-Symbolic-Real). Tel Aviv: Babel.
Haigh, I. (2010). What Makes a Cult Film? Retrieved March 14, 2012, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8640334.stm
Henderson, L. A. (2008). Highest Grossing R Rated Movies of All-Time. Retrieved March 18, 2012, from http://voices.yahoo.com/highest-grossin ... tml?cat=40
IMDb (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144
Molloy, C. (2010). American Indies: Memento (pp. 26, 42, 47). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Klein, A. (2001). Everything You Wanted to Know About "Memento". Retrieved March 16, 2012, from http://www.salon.com/2001/06/28/memento_analysis
Lacan, J. (1977). Écrits: A Selection (pp. 4-5). London: Tavistock Publications.
McGowan, T., & Kunkle, S. (2004). Lacan and Contemporary Film (Contemporary Theory Series) (p. 134). New York: Other Press.
Palahniuk, C. (n.d.). now i remember. Retrieved March 14, 2012, from http://www.metaphilm.com/philms/memento.html
RottenTomatoes (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/memento
Williams, C. G. (2003). Factualizing the tattoo: actualizing personal history through memory in Christopher Nolan\'s Memento. Post Script, 23(1), 27-36.
Yamato, J. (2011). Chris Nolan and Guillermo del Toro: 10 Highlights From Their Memento Q&A (p. 2). Retrieved March 18, 2012, from http://www.movieline.com/2011/02/05/whe ... /?page=all
Zizek, S. (2004). Revolution at the Gates: Zizek on Lenin, the 1917 Writings (p. 276). London & New York: Verso.

lalyil wrote:don't know when I'll be on here again so before my surgery in the morning I finished translating my essay at last, took about 2 weeks. I uploaded it here http://www.essayupload.com/view_essay.php?id=125 I wish I could edit my original post but since I can't I'll post this here too. I realize it's long but hope some of you will read it and enjoy it and give me feedback.

"Memento" came out in 2001 and it\'s the second feature film by director-producer-screenwriter, Christopher Nolan. The film is based on a short story written by the director\'s younger brother, Jonathan Nolan, which has only been published after the film came out. The production\'s cost is considered minor in the world of cinema, 9 million dollars, and it was filmed in just 25 days (IMDb, n.d.). The narrative is constructed in a very unusual way. The colorful scenes, which one might argue, describe the external conflict of the hero, are arranged in reverse order, end to start. In contrast, the black-white ones, which could be explained as describing the hero\'s inner conflict, are arranged in chronological order (but in fact should appear before all the colorful scenes). Finally, the two narrative lines connect to one, black-white scene - that changes into colorful during. A sort-of analogy of the hero\'s internal conflict taking over his external world.

"Memento"\'s popularity is subject to debate. As appropriate for an independent film, its distribution wasn\'t as wide as film produced in Hollywood\'s big and well-known studio, and so were its takings. Moreover, in the US the film received the dubious rating, R, which restricts entry for audience 18 years of age and above (IMDb, n.d.). This rating usually hurts the gross of films (Henderson, 2008). However, despite never entering the number 1 spot in Box Office takings in the US, the film survived over half a year in the top 50, with its distribution getting wider every week, in accordance with its success. Only about 2 months after its release it even entered the top 10 (BoxOfficeMojo, n.d.). 39 million dollars may be considered a small gross in Hollywood\'s scales, but it still means a 200% profit. One might be able to attribute this success to the attention the film received from Academy of Motion Pictures, with two Oscar nominations, for editing and original screenplay, and for the even bigger attention the film received from film critics during 2001. In a website that follows film critics, the film is standing on 92% positive reviews (RottenTomatoes, n.d.). In addition, a marketing campaign in which flyers were handed out in festival and even sent to random homes, including only the address of the unusual website for the film, otnemem.com, should be mentioned. The website was published a long time before the film\'s release and even helped the Nolan brothers find a distributer in the film place (Molloy, 2010, p. 47). However, one might argue that most of "Memento"\'s success came from word of mouth recommendations (Klein, 2001). Klein describes the affect it had on the film\'s success as \'phenomenal\'. Moreover, he mentioned a phenomenon of "repeat viewings". Like many other films containing a surprising "twist", each scene in the film could be interpreted differently once you know where the film is heading.

Memento tells the story of Leonard who suffers from a type of short-term memory loss. He uses notes, Polaroid pictures and tattoos on his body in order to "get on with his life", when the force that powers his will to continue is revenge, killing the man who raped and murdered his wife and caused his memory loss. The scenes in the film are naturally very short, in accordance with the hero\'s memory\'s range. This fact, plus the extraordinary order of the narrative create a puzzle which is, allegedly, resolved at the end of the film – the end which is actually the beginning, the turning point which fuels the entire film. But, since the answer to that puzzle is that the narrator isn\'t at all reliable, the ending brings up countless questions. While the only conclusion is that the audience mustn\'t take any character or event for granted (Molloy, 2010, p. 42). The official website also helped in fixating this ambiguity, providing bits of newspapers and fabricated documents which hint about the hero\'s past. The ambiguity is certainly another factor behind the "repeat viewings" phenomenon. In an interview, Christopher Nolan it\'s obvious to him what "the truth" is, behind the story. However, his brother, Jonathan, told him he mustn\'t tell because "the audience enters the head of a narrator who doesn\'t know the truth himself. If we tell we will hurt the rules of story", then added "if we don\'t, we\'ll make more money" (Yamato, 2011, p. 2).

The "repeat viewings phenomenon" is the reason why many categorize "Memento" as a "cult film". According to the Oxford Dictionary, "cult films" are films that need to provide "constant attraction to a relatively small audience" and they mustn\'t be considered "part of the mainstream" (Haigh, 2010). The audience tends to watch these films many times, analyze and discuss them. An "active" audience, allegedly, in contrast to the audience who watches "mainstream" films. Some add that "cult films" are films that give the audience "insight concerning the meaning of their lives" (Faulkner, 2003, p. 2). That is the explanation, probably, for the amount of released books analyzing the film and interactive forums about the film which are still active on a daily basis, over a decade after its release. But it seems that "Memento" was always destined to be in the "sidelines". Not just because of its independent film status, but also because many were afraid to distribute it and saw it as esoteric (Molloy, 2010, p. 26). The assumption was that Americans would have trouble digesting the non-linear narrative, in addition to the alternative and creative commentary of the existing order that the film provides. Ultimately, the acceptance of the narrative\'s form surprised even the distributors. It seems like in the post-modern world (Gorovic\', n.d., "Basic Concepts"), which was built on foundations of internet use and video gaming, the viewers are culturally equipped to deal with a non-linear and complex narrative.

The role of the film\'s narrative structure and that in every scene the hero has to remind himself of the facts that drive him, give the feeling of living in a world without a clear meaning (Williams, 2003). A sense of nihilism in the post-modern world, criticism of the "Society of the Spectacle". A world entirely based on symbols and images (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Society of the Spectacle"). Tattoos, notes and Polaroids that make up the world of the hero, could as well be, to emphasize the materialism of the contemporary world, receipts of purchases for example. As noted by novelist Chuck Palahniuk ("Fight Club") in his interpretation of the film (Palahniuk, n.d.). A world where the classic structure of narrative disappeared. There is no beginning, middle and end, everything is built with short data segments - "status lines" in social networks - as quick as they appear, and as many as they are, they are forgotten and disappear from our memory. Without any real emotional significance. So Leonard has to look again and again at the information in his possession, every time he opens his eyes, in every short scene. Doubtful whether emotion is really still taking part.

Baudrillard said in his book that, in the not so distant past – between the two world wars – "the myths were driven from the \'Real\' by the violence of history, and found their sanctuary in cinema" (Baudrillard, 2006, p. 43). In the post-modern world, the sense of nostalgia and the "longing for the \'Real\'" – in the form of the past\'s violent wars – caused history to go through the same process. History itself takes the places of the myths on the screen. The biggest trauma of the time is actually the lack of piercing violence of the \'Real\'. Thus, we bring the history back from film, fashion and ideologies of the past. Namely, not because we believe in those fashions and ideologies or are interested in them – we bring them back emptied of their content. But we do this to revive the time in which at least "there was history". In which life and death were at stake. According to Baudrillard, in the post-modern world, history is no longer an objective measure of looking at the past, since the history itself is a myth (Baudrillard, 2006, p. 43). This claim creates a paradoxical relationship with the idea that we can create a coherent narrative from segmented information on events and circumstances. The subconscious – subjective and with its fractured capability to understand the \'Real\' in the post-modern world – questions our ability to understand, and obviously objectively represent the events of the past and their circumstances. A kind of "subjective reality", as is in "Memento".

Leonard lies in his bed and says "I have to believe in a world outside my own… I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world is still there", and answers himself positively. However, later on we find out that the world, as he represents it, doesn\'t really go on without him. He uses his own loss of memory to create his own reality. As he says in another scene, "facts, not memories, that\'s how I would investigate". But in his world facts are told through tattoos and pictures. Those create his history, which drives his reality. A reality which is no more than a way to hide the emptiness of a man who lives in absurd essence which is entirely stipulated on his whims and the way he chooses to view himself and those around him. Thus, using a few words in the back of a Polaroid picture he chooses who he will trust and who he won\'t. It should be noted that Teddy\'s credibility, who represents himself as a close friend of Leonard, changes in the eyes of the viewer all throughout the film – as Leonard sees fit. Until the understanding that Leonard himself, as the narrator, isn\'t trustworthy at all. At the end of the film, Leonard tattoos the license plate of Teddy\'s car on his hand. A tattoo which, eventually, brings forward his demise. When Leonard writes down Teddy\'s license plate, he accidently writes 1 instead of I, he even tattoos the wrong license plate on his body. However, in another scene where the car is visible, the license plate changes in accordance to Leonard\'s tattoo. Handwritten notes on the screenplay that were put up online proved it wasn\'t a mistake, but was actually planned this way. Another hint at the "subjective reality" of the film. The reality Leonard creates for himself.

Leonard\'s self-deception consists of another illusion. Throughout the film, during the black-white scenes, Leonard describes himself in the past as an insurance company investigator. He tells of a client he investigated, "Sammy Jenkins", who suffered from a memory problem quite similar to his. However, "Sammy Jenkins" is actually Leonard. He\'s an Imaginary object. The "Mirror Image", his own experience as someone else. As noted in the "Mirror Stage", a part of the "Imaginary Order" by Jacques Lacan (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real"). When Lacan describes the "Mirror Stage" he claims "misconceptions constitute the ego" (Lacan, 1977, pp. 4-5). In Leonard\'s case the illusion bursts the "Mirror Stage". Since, often this illusion slides into the "colorful world" of the film and thus drives some of his actions. In one of the colorful scenes, Leonard says that "we all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are". Therefore, it\'s possible that Leonard\'s distorted vision, the creation of "Sammy Jenkins", is a products of his lack of understanding of his own self. An expansion of the "misconceptions". This idea also causes a deliberate ambiguity of the notion of subjectivity in Leonard\'s world, in order to defend "his Real".

At the end of the film, when understanding that Leonard wants to continue to deceive himself to search and kill the murdered, only known as \'John G\', this murderer becomes a kind of "eternal myth", always true in the eyes of the believer. He will always be the murderer and Leonard will always have to find him. Even when Teddy shouts at Leonard that he already killed that \'John G\' and that this man never even murdered his wife, Leonard chooses to continue to believe in the myth. He asks himself "can I just let myself forget what you told me?", and chooses to do so. He prefers to make Teddy his new \'John G\', and acknowledge himself as a murderer for the short duration of the scene and his memory, rather than experiencing the shock of the truth. This way he actually tries to get rid of the "stubbornness of the \'Real\'". He repels the "breakthrough experience which reflects the passion of death" of the "Real Order" (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real"). Hence the name of the film, according to Zizek (Zizek, 2004, p. 276), "memento always relates to mori [death]". As Leonard describes "Sammy Jenkins" memory problem as different from his, since Sammy\'s is caused by a "mental block" and isn\'t physical, maybe Leonard himself chooses on his own to forget the \'Real\'. Thus he wouldn\'t have to experience the "emptiness" of it. The melancholy (Gorovic\' and Arav, 2012, "Imaginary-Symbolic-Real").

"Trauma is fascinating to us, because it is always a temptation for something else, always a mask of another trauma" – Jacques Lacan (McGowan & Kunkle, 2004, p. 134). In Memento, we are attracted to the trauma of the murder. The mystery, the search for the killer. Like the classic film-noirs. However, the collision between the fictional world presented in the film using Leonard\'s narrative, to the breaking at the end - the dissolution of the thought that we "know it all", takes off a part of the mask that hides the real trauma of "Memento" - the trauma of choice. Leonard\'s choice of the \'Imaginary\' and his escape of the \'Real\'. This conflict also drives the audience away from the desire to discover the murderer; understanding not only that this desire is impossible, this desire is entirely phony – the murderer was not a murderer. Thus, it\'s entirely irrelevant. The viewer has to experience a kind of dissolution of a fictional world. The film is an endless circle that tells a story through a series of contradictions and ambiguities, even when it seems that the narrative is clear, the feeling quickly fades.

Bibliography

Baudrillard, J. (1994). Simulacra and Simulation (p. 43). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
BoxOfficeMojo (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=memento.htm
ChristopherNolan.net (n.d.). Memento Trivia: Memory is treachery. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.christophernolan.net/memento_mem.php
Faulkner, Dr. J. (2003). Does Philosophy Meet Film in Plato’s Cave? Or at the Pharmacy? Reflections on Memento. Retrieved March 8, 2012, from http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/faulkner/memento.pdf
Gorovic\', D. (n.d.). Postmodernism. Retrieved January 2, 2012 from http://www.ynet.co.il/yaan/0,7340,L-948 ... an,00.html
Gorovic\', D., & Arav, D. (2012). The Encyclopedia of Ideas (Society of the Spectacle; Imaginary-Symbolic-Real). Tel Aviv: Babel.
Haigh, I. (2010). What Makes a Cult Film? Retrieved March 14, 2012, from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8640334.stm
Henderson, L. A. (2008). Highest Grossing R Rated Movies of All-Time. Retrieved March 18, 2012, from http://voices.yahoo.com/highest-grossin ... tml?cat=40
IMDb (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209144
Molloy, C. (2010). American Indies: Memento (pp. 26, 42, 47). Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
Klein, A. (2001). Everything You Wanted to Know About "Memento". Retrieved March 16, 2012, from http://www.salon.com/2001/06/28/memento_analysis
Lacan, J. (1977). Écrits: A Selection (pp. 4-5). London: Tavistock Publications.
McGowan, T., & Kunkle, S. (2004). Lacan and Contemporary Film (Contemporary Theory Series) (p. 134). New York: Other Press.
Palahniuk, C. (n.d.). now i remember. Retrieved March 14, 2012, from http://www.metaphilm.com/philms/memento.html
RottenTomatoes (n.d.). Memento. Retrieved March 20, 2012, from http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/memento
Williams, C. G. (2003). Factualizing the tattoo: actualizing personal history through memory in Christopher Nolan\'s Memento. Post Script, 23(1), 27-36.
Yamato, J. (2011). Chris Nolan and Guillermo del Toro: 10 Highlights From Their Memento Q&A (p. 2). Retrieved March 18, 2012, from http://www.movieline.com/2011/02/05/whe ... /?page=all
Zizek, S. (2004). Revolution at the Gates: Zizek on Lenin, the 1917 Writings (p. 276). London & New York: Verso.
"When art imitates life"

dafox wrote:
lalyil wrote:don't know when I'll be on here again so before my surgery in the morning I finished translating my essay at last, took about 2 weeks. I uploaded it here http://www.essayupload.com/view_essay.php?id=125 I wish I could edit my original post but since I can't I'll post this here too. I realize it's long but hope some of you will read it and enjoy it and give me feedback.

Bibliography

I've had this gif saved for a while for a special occassio. You had me at Orson Welles. Thank you.

Great paper, lalyil. Pretty solid. I have a pet peeve with Freudian-esque (over)analyses of anything, let alone movies, but your essay strikes a good balance.
At the end of the film, Leonard tattoos the license plate of Teddy\'s car on his hand. A tattoo which, eventually, brings forward his demise. When Leonard writes down Teddy\'s license plate, he accidently writes 1 instead of I, he even tattoos the wrong license plate on his body. However, in another scene where the car is visible, the license plate changes in accordance to Leonard\'s tattoo. Handwritten notes on the screenplay that were put up online proved it wasn\'t a mistake, but was actually planned this way. Another hint at the "subjective reality" of the film. The reality Leonard creates for himself.
I had never heard of this! I thought I noticed that Leonard's handwriting did seem to make his 1's and I's look the same, but this is crazy. :o

Now, to be frank, there is some grammatical clunkyness. Even worse, though, was errors such as this:
Leonard lies in his bed and says "I have to believe in a world outside my own… I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world is still there", and answers himself positively.

Leonard actually said this right before braking in front of the tattoo parlor at Memento's end. You also spelled "Jenkis" as "Jenkins", and I got a sense that you didn't do a good job of distinguishing between the beginning and end of the film itself, and the chronology of events within the film.

As I said, I'm just being frank, and you wanted feedback. Excellent read, nonetheless. :thumbup:

Hope your surgery goes smoothly.

Tristy wrote:Great paper, lalyil. Pretty solid. I have a pet peeve with Freudian-esque (over)analyses of anything, let alone movies, but your essay strikes a good balance.
At the end of the film, Leonard tattoos the license plate of Teddy\'s car on his hand. A tattoo which, eventually, brings forward his demise. When Leonard writes down Teddy\'s license plate, he accidently writes 1 instead of I, he even tattoos the wrong license plate on his body. However, in another scene where the car is visible, the license plate changes in accordance to Leonard\'s tattoo. Handwritten notes on the screenplay that were put up online proved it wasn\'t a mistake, but was actually planned this way. Another hint at the "subjective reality" of the film. The reality Leonard creates for himself.
I had never heard of this! I thought I noticed that Leonard's handwriting did seem to make his 1's and I's look the same, but this is crazy. :o

Now, to be frank, there is some grammatical clunkyness. Even worse, though, was errors such as this:
Leonard lies in his bed and says "I have to believe in a world outside my own… I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world is still there", and answers himself positively.

Leonard actually said this right before braking in front of the tattoo parlor at Memento's end. You also spelled "Jenkis" as "Jenkins", and I got a sense that you didn't do a good job of distinguishing between the beginning and end of the film itself, and the chronology of events within the film.

As I said, I'm just being frank, and you wanted feedback. Excellent read, nonetheless. :thumbup:

Hope your surgery goes smoothly.
Thanks for the feedback.

English is my second language and I translated this essay from academic Hebrew quite quickly considering all I've been going through, so didn't really have a way to check fix grammar. Spelling mistakes were just me trying to put this up before the surgery. I'll fix them on the site I uploaded later, here I can't edit it anymore unfortunately. As for grammar, I don't know how to fix them. When I write a story I have friends that edit them for me but I don't want to ask for this.
Same for that mistake you noted above, I wrote this down very quickly. So I will fix it on the site when I have time later. In Hebrew it was written right, hence why I got a 100 for it.

Not sure what you mean by distinguishing between the ending and the beginning and the chronology of events.. I'd be happy if you could tell me what and I'd check it in the Hebrew essay as well.

Bibliography

good job :clap: