Does anybody else feel the world is getting dumber?

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
User avatar
Posts: 9116
Joined: August 2009
Michaelf2225 wrote: I've been harping on this since the election, and you are all probably tired of it by now - or think I'm just wrong which is also possible; but, the issue a lot of "middle America" and the middle-aged Americans have with Democrats is that they can be so arrogant. The hate toward college educated, intellectuals from these same people pisses me off, but I can't lie and say I don't understand it.

Imagine a family of five barely scraping by - both parents working full time - and then being told they have to give 40% of their earnings to the government. No one wants that, and while there's certainly a layer of selfishness involved, why shouldn't people prioritize themselves over others? For all the awful things Republicans and Trump are doing, their overarching message (not the racist, sexist stuff) is appealing. The white middle class wants lower taxes and their country back. Those of us who are informed and smart can see that Trump isn't the answer to this - he's a buffoon, but at their base, a lot of his ideas aren't that ridiculous. Ex. A border wall payed for by Mexico is ridiculous, but controlling immigration (which Obama didn't do too well) is completely reasonable. Most people don't want to be told what is "right" and what they "need to do, morally," which is what a large amount of the current Democratic party does.
Yeah, Democrats can be arrogant at times. I've seen it in my own friend circle. The hate both sides show towards each other is appalling. And it's saddening too because we need both sides to make America work.

It's still fascinating that Trump did appeal to the working class even though he most likely pays a lesser tax percentage than them. 25% for a guy of his wealth? please. That is definitely not the man to fix the country.

I'm a bit sensitive on the immigration topic since my family and I are immigrants. I can definitely understand the need to control immigration and vet people who come into the country. At the same time though, our immigration standards are really really high. Franchesca Ramsey recently did a video on this for MTV Decoded and it's a year long and extremely expensive process to even get a greencard. What more can we do on immigration when we already have such a strict policy in place?

Immigration is a buzzword used by the Republicans to push their rehtoric honestly. And it's scary how they single immigrants out like that.

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Imagine blaming immigrants for your own poor doings because they're just an easy target.

User avatar
Posts: 8145
Joined: October 2012
Location: Gran Pulse
RIFA wrote:Imagine blaming immigrants for your own poor doings because they're just an easy target.
That would be terrible.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 3406
Joined: October 2014
Location: Philly
RIFA wrote:Imagine blaming immigrants for your own poor doings because they're just an easy target.
come on, man... the issue is a lot more complicated than that - there are economic and even moral consequences to not doing anything about illegal immigrants

but the Trump attitude toward reform certainly is a bad one

and @akv: your point about the tax stuff is certainly true, but media was too busy attacking his character rather than ideas :/

User avatar
Posts: 42660
Joined: May 2010
The Trump Apologist Awakens

User avatar
Posts: 21411
Joined: June 2010
Location: All-Hail Master Virgo, Censor of NolanFans
Michaelf2225 wrote:there are economic and even moral consequences to not doing anything about illegal immigrants
I don't think anyone ever claimed that nothing has to be done about illegal immigrants. However, their negative impact is far blown out of proportion. It's not the illegal immigrants that drag the country down.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 3406
Joined: October 2014
Location: Philly
RIFA wrote:
Michaelf2225 wrote:there are economic and even moral consequences to not doing anything about illegal immigrants
I don't think anyone ever claimed that nothing has to be done about illegal immigrants. However, their negative impact is far blown out of proportion. It's not the illegal immigrants that drag the country down.
well yeah... i think it's overblown as well - it was just the first example that came to my head; it's certainly an issue that needs attention, albeit not the attention the GOP gives it
Allstar wrote:The Trump Apologist Awakens
y r u the way u r

User avatar
Posts: 42660
Joined: May 2010
lol, it just comes off as if you're a closet low key Trump supporter but you're too afraid to admit it because 99% of people on here hate him with a passion.

User avatar
Posts: 13753
Joined: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Just how many illegal Muslim immigrants are there? American continent is isolated from rest of the world. So it's not easy to just hop in from Middle-East to 'Murica. I doubt any Trump supporter spewing about Muslims thought about that for a second.

User avatar
Forum Pro
Posts: 3406
Joined: October 2014
Location: Philly
Pratham wrote:Just how many illegal Muslim immigrants are there? American continent is isolated from rest of the world. So it's not easy to just hop in from Middle-East to 'Murica. I doubt any Trump supporter spewing about Muslims thought about that for a second.
the illegal immigration nonsense is about those coming in from Mexico, not the Middle East - that's another issue
Allstar wrote:lol, it just comes off as if you're a closet low key Trump supporter but you're too afraid to admit it because 99% of people on here hate him with a passion.
sympathizing with some of the Republican agenda =/= being a Trump supporter

though i don't really see the issue with supporting positive actions of presidents regardless of political affiliation

Post Reply