Coronavirus v Cinema: Dawn of Streaming

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Artemis wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:38 pm
amc hire me to be ur editor
You heard her amc!

It’s extra funny to me because there’s like zero AMC theaters working right now so... immediately? Really?

My question now is how this will affect Universal's relationship with other theater chains around the globe. Will they too jump on the protest bandwagon?

BlairCo wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm
My question now is how this will affect Universal's relationship with other theater chains around the globe. Will they too jump on the protest bandwagon?
There's no way AMC isn't going to play Universal movies, it's just a question of when they back down, not if.

-Vader

And miss out on Bond and F9? Don’t think so.

Wait so the company is on the brink of bankrupcy and currently off business and now even selective about which movies they'll show?

He he he.

Vader182 wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:56 pm
BlairCo wrote:
April 28th, 2020, 8:55 pm
There's no way AMC isn't going to play Universal movies, it's just a question of when they back down, not if.

-Vader
Or the other side backs down... Or by the time they do the entire earning potential of traditional releases is eroded, many cinemas shut down etc...

The theatrical window has been an existential issue for major chains forever. Though AMC have lashed out, one can be sure Regal/Cineworld, Cinemark etc - and the US trade lobby NATO - feel exactly the same

Poland is going into stage 2 of reopening on May 4th. This means shopping malls, kindergartens, hotels, libraries and museums will be opened (none of them to full capacity, though). This means theaters, which are in stage 4, will probably be opened in early to mid June but it looks like they will only be able to host 50 people at a time as that is the max capacity set for public gatherings which I assume is what a theater screening will be classified. And masks as well as 2 meter distance are still mandatory.

In a large screening room of 300 seats, I think I'd be comfortable sitting with 50 other people. In the smaller ones not so much.

It's poker, AMC is bluffing. Universal has good cards, but needs to see if Disney, Warner, Paramount join them... If other chains worldwide join AMC and Universal doesn't receive support, Universal may have to fold before having pushed AMC to show its cards, which by the way are terrible.

Reliable romour has it that China's cinema will reopen in June. It was just announced that this year's two sessions - China's most important annual political event – will be held in late May in Beijing, which is a signal that our life will return to normal soon.

They're throwing shit now