Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
My only reference is GAF, this place and people I've heard or talked to after two projections and consensus seems to be that most of them will watch it again, so I'm hopeful for strong legs a la Kingsman, which was also R-Rated and had a similar first week.

m4st4 wrote:
Baniac wrote:So what action sequence is your favorite?
Some of my favorite lines came from the The Dag (aka true Daenerys as I like to call her), especially the one about bullets being the anti-seeds, you plant one and watch something die.
"I thought you weren't insane anymore. "
:lol:

I loved the old woman too, the one with the seeds. Loved Max's amused expression toward her when she said,
" Kaboom," with pure delight.

JohnConstantine wrote:Remember this trailer?

It basically shows the whole movie.

I am glad that I saw only the teaser and the first trailer.

Later Edit:

About the box office thing. The 45 mil it made it's actually above what was predicted. I am sure even WB knew that. I think, especially WB. They knew it being a R it won't have a big opening 1st weekend (relative to its budget). So they must have calculated it will make around what it actually made this last weekend.

The thing that gave them confidence (that showed in the promotion of this movie) was the test screenings. This movie was test screened. At first WB wasn't so sure about this movie, but the reactions at the test screenings were extremely good. They knew right there and then that if this movie gets good reviews (which it did) and will have word of mouth, they will make bussiness.

And this movie will have word of mouth. The drops will be no more than 45 %, and if it will be in the 30ish % territory (like Inception) it will kill. My prediction is that it will reach 130-150 mil in the US, and with 200+ international it will make its money back (2x or 2.5x its budget). I think the profit will be made on blurays, vod, netflix etc. As far as I can see it this movie needs to make its money in theatres. If it does, the sequel will come more easily. If not, WB will think twice but even then there is a chance for that.

The comparison is with Kingsman. It made 36 mil 1st weekend. The word of mouth made its presence in the 3rd weekend (the second it droped almost 50%). Made 127 mil. MM with 45 and maybe a drop lower than 45% in the second weekend (+ word of mouth the following weeks) it will reach at least 130 mil.
The difference between Kingsman and Mad Max is that Kingsman was made for $85 mil and Mad Max was made for $150... But you're right, if Mad Max can make the $400 mil that Kingsman made, it's most likely we'll get a sequel. Actually it only needs to make around $350 million to get its money back and have A LITTLE profit.

Unfortunately, 1) Kingsman was more of a "fun" film, a comedy, that people actually tend to go back to for repeat viewings. I haven't seen Fury Road but the previous installments were rather bleak. 2) Kingsman didn't have much competition. No action blockbusters unless you count Chappie. Next week Tomorrowland comes out and the week after that we get San Andreas...

It will be interesting to see what will happen to Mad Max.

BlairCo wrote:My favorite wife: Capable

Elvis's granddaughter? Those genes will not sustain the years my friend.

BlairCo wrote:My favorite wife: Capable

Mine too.

There is something strange happening to me recently. I didn't find Cara Delevigne and Riley Keough atractive till I saw them in Paper Towns trailer and Mad Max.

LelekPL wrote: Kingsman was more of a "fun" film, a comedy, that people actually tend to go back to for repeat viewings.
From comments I've read and heard, lots of people are seeing MM multiple times. I've seen it three times and will be going again.

finally seeing this today at Alamo motherfucking Drafthouse

hope it's actually good

Cilogy wrote:finally seeing this today at Alamo motherfucking Drafthouse

hope it's actually good
I had no idea you haven't seen it man... nice, looking forward to whatever you come up with after it's finished.

Still waiting on those Tuesday numbers... anyone, anyone, Bueller?

Twice is enough for me. Love the movie but as fun as it is, there's not enough for me to sink my teeth into for a third viewing. Ill wait until the blu-ray release. It's not perfect but it's close. There's some lines here and there, shots that are a bit unnecessary. Small things, nitpicks, that i can barely remember. Definite top 10 for 2015 though. One of the best pure action movies i've seen in a LONG time. It makes Fast and the Furious and all the CG crap fests look amateur and a waste of time.

4.5/5