"Oppenheimer" Reviews Discussion

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
Cancelled my tickets for friday. If Grace Randolph doesn't like it, i'm not sure i can :cry:

Ruth wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:51 pm
Cancelled my tickets for friday. If Grace Randolph doesn't like it, i'm not sure i can :cry:
Please, tell me you are being sarcastic :think:

Retskrad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:43 pm
I have already bought my tickets for an IMAX screening of Oppenheimer. I am looking forward to seeing he film because I like Nolan's work. Why would someone be on this forum if they didn't like the filmmaker? I just think the Barbie + Oppenheimer excitement might cloud reality a bit here. This applies to both the fans and critics, no disrespect.
And what’s wrong with being excited? End of the day, a critics opinion is no more important than your opinion or mine or anyone else’s. We can speculate all day about why critics are liking a movie but let me tell you, most of these critics are social media liberal hipsters. For a movie made by a white man starring mostly white men talking to one another to end up with a 90/100 on metacritic in todays political climate, it’s pretty ridiculous to say these people were all excited for a movie like that. Infact we’ve seen so many tweets from critics now saying they expected this to be bad but we’re blown away. A movie like Barbie or The Color Purple coming out later or Polite Society are more likely to get overblown praise because they are the kinds of movies these critics want to see.

I think as a Nolan fan, the excitement is over him getting the most love he’s ever gotten by critics. 90/100 or 20/100, it won’t impact my opinion on the film once I’ve seen it.

Retskrad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:36 pm
Joanna Robinson, a respected writer and critic at The Ringer said this on Twitter. I definitely think we need to take the over the moon critic scores with a grain of salt. I think they are being inflated because of the horrible stretch of movies we've had the recent time.

Well of course YOU knew Joanna. You are a known feminist.

MaxContract wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:54 pm
Retskrad wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:43 pm
I have already bought my tickets for an IMAX screening of Oppenheimer. I am looking forward to seeing he film because I like Nolan's work. Why would someone be on this forum if they didn't like the filmmaker? I just think the Barbie + Oppenheimer excitement might cloud reality a bit here. This applies to both the fans and critics, no disrespect.
And what’s wrong with being excited? End of the day, a critics opinion is no more important than your opinion or mine or anyone else’s. We can speculate all day about why critics are liking a movie but let me tell you, most of these critics are social media liberal hipsters. For a movie made by a white man starring mostly white men talking to one another to end up with a 90/100 on metacritic in todays political climate, it’s pretty ridiculous to say these people were all excited for a movie like that. Infact we’ve seen so many tweets from critics now saying they expected this to be bad but we’re blown away. A movie like Barbie or The Color Purple coming out later or Polite Society are more likely to get overblown praise because they are the kinds of movies these critics want to see.

I think as a Nolan fan, the excitement is over him getting the most love he’s ever gotten by critics. 90/100 or 20/100, it won’t impact my opinion on the film once I’ve seen it.
Fair enough

natalie wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:53 pm
Ruth wrote:
July 19th, 2023, 2:51 pm
Please, tell me you are being sarcastic :think:
What, you don't trust her amazingly well thought out opinions on film? :lol: