All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.

LeoCobb wrote:
December 18th, 2022, 4:36 pm
Master Virgo wrote:
December 1st, 2022, 3:36 am

6 and 7? Please, no.
I wish he would stop after 3 and move on to something else honestly.

Plus dude is like 70 years old. With how long it takes to get these out, I don't see 7 movies happening.

Ngl, the third act got me amped up while watching. Also, my first 3d movie i've watched since forever, so that took some adjusting.

Definitely got goosebumps in Act III when it started getting Titanic-esque. Just an incredible film overall. Has the wonder, the action, uses exposition really well to introduce you to and give characterization to the new characters. James Cameron is truly the only tit-for-tat director that can go toe-to-toe with Christopher Nolan in scale and awe. Both are auteurs for different reasons and I love them for it.

This was much better than I expected.

Remember last year when people said NWH should be nominated for best picture because it was the biggest success of the year, and how (almost) noone says the same about Avatar this year, because there's so many better arguments ?
(not saying I would nominate it, but I won't be shocked if it is, whereas nominating NWH would have been strange).

Well to be fair, No Way Home had a better reception from both critics and audience and the cultural impact was significantly larger.

But with Oscar, prestige and precedent are very important factors, which is why Wakanda Forever and The Way of Water are much closer to getting BP nominations compared to a more critically successful blockbuster like The Batman.

Master Virgo wrote:
December 29th, 2022, 8:46 am
Well to be fair, No Way Home had a better reception from both critics and audience and the cultural impact was significantly larger.
What makes you think that?

Master Virgo wrote:
December 29th, 2022, 8:46 am

But with Oscar, prestige and precedent are very important factors, which is why Wakanda Forever and The Way of Water are much closer to getting BP nominations compared to a more critically successful blockbuster like The Batman.
I'm not sure I'd equate more critics liking a thing as the same thing as more "acclaimed," because many of the critics who like or love The Way of Water see it as a much more impressive artistic achievement, whereas NWH (a movie I mostly like) is as cinematically flat as drywall.

I'm not surprised The Batman (also a movie I mostly like) isn't an oscar player. It's being somewhat shut out by the academy (score didn't even make the shortlist), and I think it's partly because it doesn't earn the huge three hour running time, it's kind of a mess, and generally seen as "very good" but overly derivative of previous Batman iterations.

This is a weird year for BP, but I'd bet Way of Water gets in.

-Vader