Hoyte van Hoytema's Cinematography

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
A Borges man wrote:
February 17th, 2022, 12:39 pm
blackColumn wrote:
February 17th, 2022, 11:53 am
Nolan is colorblind so the onus was on cinematographer and the person color grading it. And they made it trashy green. (Make sure you watch it on a monitor with 300 PPI and above with good color and HDR, this movie is muted, ugly and monotonous and quite some people noticed that.
I saw it 70mm IMAX, and I have the 4k with a massive OLED. The movie is beautiful...quite some people noticed that.

2:55

The word 'green' doesn't come to mind when I think of war movies. Dunkirk's teaser was the most monotonous thing ever.
Dunkirk’s muted color scheme further saps the story of its potential power. As ever, it’s odd that Nolan should be such a fervent champion for shooting on celluloid when so many of his images are monotonous and filmed in a color and lighting range that’s more typical of digital.

lets be careful posting HDR videos to comment on "color and contrast" here as most of us have SDR screens, sometimes HDR clips are converted wrong and we get overly saturated colors and the wrong contrast, (and ive seen a ton of tenet clips on youtube that have been absolutely destroyed by this) i know Hoyte`s work is more divisive than Wally`s but i also feel wally almost left the vision 3 colors as they where without much touching up, i like that Hoyte takes a bolder approach to colors, and also to say that Tenet and Dunkirk look like a Zack Snyder movie is one of the most laughable things ive read in this place, thats akin to me saying that the lighthouse looks like something shot by Sven Nykvist because its shot black and white and its contrasty, Deakins give me strenght :lol:

KEM
Nicolaslabra wrote:
February 19th, 2022, 3:40 pm
lets be careful posting HDR videos to comment on "color and contrast" here as most of us have SDR screens, sometimes HDR clips are converted wrong and we get overly saturated colors and the wrong contrast, (and ive seen a ton of tenet clips on youtube that have been absolutely destroyed by this) i know Hoyte`s work is more divisive than Wally`s but i also feel wally almost left the vision 3 colors as they where without much touching up, i like that Hoyte takes a bolder approach to colors, and also to say that Tenet and Dunkirk look like a Zack Snyder movie is one of the most laughable things ive read in this place, thats akin to me saying that the lighthouse looks like something shot by Sven Nykvist because its shot black and white and its contrasty, Deakins give me strenght :lol:
iPhone’s are HDR, and Nolan films look beautiful on them, better than anything else I’ve watched

^ You are more right than you realise you are.

The latest iphones have image quality comparable to studio reference monitors, they are just smaller. The traditional TV and computer screen distributes colors evenly and fades them out, but reference monitors (inaccessible to most) and hi end smartphones (accessible to everyone) can serve the undiluted colors. And here the colors are extremely green tinted. I have not been able to find a version of Dunkirk that is easy on eyes.

Nolan's movies will be rescanned in 8K and it won't help that a future audience will be watching it on insanely high PPI devices that can serve colors almost as they are in the film.

I bet no one would praise how Nope's teaser trailer looks if they were not in touch with news. It's Hoyata and its imax film and it has not received any reactions pertaining to how it looks from audience, because it does not look that unique at all. Once you are told it is large format film you can see the unmistakably creamy look of the vehicle exterior, skintones, helmet etc but that's the breathtaking resolution - where are the colors?

KEM
blackColumn wrote:
February 19th, 2022, 11:31 pm
^ You are more right than you realise you are.

The latest iphones have image quality comparable to studio reference monitors, they are just smaller. The traditional TV and computer screen distributes colors evenly and fades them out, but reference monitors (inaccessible to most) and hi end smartphones (accessible to everyone) can serve the undiluted colors. And here the colors are extremely green tinted. I have not been able to find a version of Dunkirk that is easy on eyes.

Nolan's movies will be rescanned in 8K and it won't help that a future audience will be watching it on insanely high PPI devices that can serve colors almost as they are in the film.

I bet no one would praise how Nope's teaser trailer looks if they were not in touch with news. It's Hoyata and its imax film and it has not received any reactions pertaining to how it looks from audience, because it does not look that unique at all. Once you are told it is large format film you can see the unmistakably creamy look of the vehicle exterior, skintones, helmet etc but that's the breathtaking resolution - where are the colors?
Personally I love the look of all Nolan films but that’s just me. Do you think they’ll make 8k blu-rays or will that be a streaming thing? Cause I don’t see how anyones bandwidth could consistently stream at 8k for 2 and a half hours

When there is substantial number of people with next generation internet, their willingness to pay a premium for streaming uncompressed movies can be tested. No reason for physical blu rays to stay except for cover art and more economic pricing.

KEM
blackColumn wrote:
February 20th, 2022, 4:26 am
When there is substantial number of people with next generation internet, their willingness to pay a premium for streaming uncompressed movies can be tested. No reason for physical blu rays to stay except for cover art and more economic pricing.
Who knows, maybe the new generation of Xbox/PlayStation will be able to play 8k blu-Ray if it’s a thing, I really don’t want to see the format die

Apparently this might be in black and white....

LuciusNightmare wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 3:13 pm
Sections of it, at least ;)

LuciusNightmare wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 3:13 pm
https://www.thewrap.com/oppenheimer-cas ... an-murphy/
“Oppenheimer” will be shot on a combination of IMAX 65mm and 65mm large-format film photography including, for the first time ever, sections in IMAX black and white analogue photography.
Very curious to see how this will turn out, exciting though.