Filming Locations

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

KEM
And so it begins

Oh dear god

Why is he going back to WWII subject matter?

Dodd wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 3:07 am
To be honest, I think WWII is one of the most cinematic historic events, if that makes any sense... many writers, filmmakers, creators are drawn to it because it has this dualistic nature of being a straightforward war with obvious "sides", yet having so many murky, muddy moralistic aspects. The conception and use of the atombomb is in itself a highly cinematic issue - a straightforward, yet very complex issue.

I guess you could say that any human conflict has tons of intriguing moral aspects, but WWII must be one of the most well-documented conflicts, while also being one that has that sort of "epic" quality to it by having an almost literal madman as one of the "villains" of this story, and as the story unfolded, it turned out that even the good guys were quite the villains themselves.

And the creation of the atombomb and the person of Oppenheimer is a pretty on-point representation of the whole moral dilemma of the war, I would say, when idealistic concepts were conceived without concern for hundreds of thousands of human lives. I don't know, I just feel that WWII, as much as it is a familiar topic for many filmmakers - and viewers -, will always remain one of the most intriguing eras in modern history with all its straightforward villains and controversial heroes. At least this is how I feel.

Dodd wrote:
I'm also not stocked about it. The topic has been done to death in cinema but I guess a more human story in that setting could still make for a great movie. I'm just not excited for this project at all as of yet.

DHOPW42 wrote:
November 19th, 2021, 3:55 am
Dodd wrote:
To be honest, I think WWII is one of the most cinematic historic events, if that makes any sense... many writers, filmmakers, creators are drawn to it because it has this dualistic nature of being a straightforward war with obvious "sides", yet having so many murky, muddy moralistic aspects. The conception and use of the atombomb is in itself a highly cinematic issue - a straightforward, yet very complex issue.

I guess you could say that any human conflict has tons of intriguing moral aspects, but WWII must be one of the most well-documented conflicts, while also being one that has that sort of "epic" quality to it by having an almost literal madman as one of the "villains" of this story, and as the story unfolded, it turned out that even the good guys were quite the villains themselves.

And the creation of the atombomb and the person of Oppenheimer is a pretty on-point representation of the whole moral dilemma of the war, I would say, when idealistic concepts were conceived without concern for hundreds of thousands of human lives. I don't know, I just feel that WWII, as much as it is a familiar topic for many filmmakers - and viewers -, will always remain one of the most intriguing eras in modern history with all its straightforward villains and controversial heroes. At least this is how I feel.
This is excactly what I feel and think about it, well said.

natalie wrote:
November 18th, 2021, 8:09 pm
UC Berkeley confirmed?
Chris looks great

Dodd wrote:
This is more about an individual character and nuclear weapons than it is about WWII.

id also say it seems to be more of a period piece, ww2 is happening in the background but it certainly not going to be THE setting.