Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
When you think about it, the film already has some resonances with The Dark Knight Rises, Nolan has in a sense already a past with the atomic bomb, when we look at his last Batman, we have a bomb that is the result of a creation of a purely scientific nature, but which will then be diverted and put in the wrong hands for the purpose of massive destruction (Bane etc. ...).
We already had in a sense the idea of something that escapes the hands of their creators, and the repercussions that this implies, it may have already at the time, given him the idea to one day tackle this subject in a much more direct and frontal.

You also find this idea and all that implies, beautifully brought in Tenet.

I don't know if there is a parallel but I can see it anyway.

The fact that he tackles this subject, draws, I find a logical path in his filmography and a deepening of his obsessions / themes etc. ...

Please, no … don’t mention The Dark Knight Rises. Oh god, I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about that movie. Most people on social media and people I know rank it at the very bottom when ranking comic book movies. The Dark Knight Rises belong in the same bucket as Wonder Woman 84, Spider Man 3, Thor The Dark World, Batman & Robin, Batman v Superman. Nolan himself has basically disavowed it and never acknowledged it’s existence after it’s release.

Most people on social media and people I know...
This... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Please, don't stop posting here. You are too much fun.

Retskrad wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 10:59 am
Please, no … don’t mention The Dark Knight Rises. Oh god, I just threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about that movie. Most people on social media and people I know rank it at the very bottom when ranking comic book movies. The Dark Knight Rises belong in the same bucket as Wonder Woman 84, Spider Man 3, Thor The Dark World, Batman & Robin, Batman v Superman. Nolan himself has basically disavowed it and never acknowledged it’s existence after it’s release.
All in all, I gotta give it to you. This made me laugh 😂

Nolan himself has basically disavowed it and never acknowledged it’s existence after it’s release.
This part is just hilarious :lol:

natalie wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 12:40 pm
Nolan himself has basically disavowed it and never acknowledged it’s existence after it’s release.
This part is just hilarious :lol:
My exact same thoughts 😂

Retskrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:25 am
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/ ... ld-of-dune

Denis Villeneuve and Guillermo del Toro have a conversation about Dune and the decisions that Denis made along the way. When Guillermo said "I have a saying: “If you have enough money, that means you don’t have enough imagination.”, it made me think of Tenet. It had a $200m budget, which is the highest budget given to Marvel movies, and Nolan did nothing with all that money. I have no idea what Warner Bros were thinking.

We have all heard the saying that restraint breeds creativity. It's a good sign to see a $100m budget attached to the Oppenheimer project. It will force Nolan to think outside the box. Universal and studios in the future should never give him any budget higher than $150m. Nolan works best when he is on a tight leash budget wise (Memento, The Prestige, Dunkirk). Every single movie of his that are above $150 million are bloated.
Hum.

“He is by far one of the best filmmakers working in the world today because people don’t realize the eye-level of his cinematic mastery, it’s crazy,” he continued. “It’s crazy. Every time Chris puts a movie on screen, I have to [see it on the big screen]. Of course, I saw ‘Tenet’ in the theaters. You can’t watch a Nolan movie at home, that’s like, that makes absolutely no sense. You have to, at first, receive the full impact of a Nolan movie in a theater. It’s really fascinating to see him evolving from one movie to another and always pushing the envelope, technically, narratively, and always reinventing himself. For me, it’s deeply inspiring to see that master at work.”

https://theplaylist.net/denis-villeneuv ... -20211022/

LeoCobb wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 2:06 pm
Retskrad wrote:
October 21st, 2021, 6:25 am
https://www.interviewmagazine.com/film/ ... ld-of-dune

Denis Villeneuve and Guillermo del Toro have a conversation about Dune and the decisions that Denis made along the way. When Guillermo said "I have a saying: “If you have enough money, that means you don’t have enough imagination.”, it made me think of Tenet. It had a $200m budget, which is the highest budget given to Marvel movies, and Nolan did nothing with all that money. I have no idea what Warner Bros were thinking.

We have all heard the saying that restraint breeds creativity. It's a good sign to see a $100m budget attached to the Oppenheimer project. It will force Nolan to think outside the box. Universal and studios in the future should never give him any budget higher than $150m. Nolan works best when he is on a tight leash budget wise (Memento, The Prestige, Dunkirk). Every single movie of his that are above $150 million are bloated.
Hum.

“He is by far one of the best filmmakers working in the world today because people don’t realize the eye-level of his cinematic mastery, it’s crazy,” he continued. “It’s crazy. Every time Chris puts a movie on screen, I have to [see it on the big screen]. Of course, I saw ‘Tenet’ in the theaters. You can’t watch a Nolan movie at home, that’s like, that makes absolutely no sense. You have to, at first, receive the full impact of a Nolan movie in a theater. It’s really fascinating to see him evolving from one movie to another and always pushing the envelope, technically, narratively, and always reinventing himself. For me, it’s deeply inspiring to see that master at work.”

Between this, the love Chloe Zhao gave Interstellar, Tarintino ranking Dunkirk the second-best film of the 2010s, Sean Baker saying Tenet was his fav movie of 2020; maybe just maybe...filmmakers are more aware of the difficulty of the process and how impressive the stuff Nolan accomplishes is. These are arthouse adjacent filmmakers, they don't have to blow smoke up Nolan's ass, yet they praise him with such ease.

I think as far as Tenet is concerned, it has already grown in estimation; the passion for it is intense. Sometimes a movie is gotta be niche, or not appeal to the majority.

LeoCobb wrote:

One genius recognising another. I'm sure Nolan has reciprocal respect for Villeneuve also. Love both of their work. Hate it when people compare these two. Both are great but different in their styles.

SCORPIO16 wrote:
October 22nd, 2021, 3:22 pm
LeoCobb wrote:

One genius recognising another. I'm sure Nolan has reciprocal respect for Villeneuve also. Love both of their work. Hate it when people compare these two. Both are great but different in their styles.
Agree.