Soundtrack: Göransson Returns

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.

Who Will Score Nolan's Oppenheimer/A-Bomb/WWII Film?

Göransson
58%
Zimmer
32%
Other
10%

Total votes: 90

I honestly feel that if Zimmer returns that's good and if he doesn’t then it's fine as well. It doesn't matter what reason there was for them to go separate ways as they are in good terms wishing each other the best (it's not like they hate each other's guts). It happens. Zimmer will be doing his thing and Nolan too. I don't think there ever was some sort of an unbreakable promise that they would be working together in all films.

But it's interesting to see how Nolan seems to be trying to push more boundaries, and Goransson is a mindful and passionate young artist looking for risks, specially in big movies which is very rare but it has and can be done with names like Nolan or Villeneuve, for example. It works for both of them. So it's time to embrace what seems to be a new Nolan era even on the editing part with Jennifer Lame which I like. That's just it. Some people may not like it but that's where we are.

KEM
I really wanna start speculating what this score will sound like, I’d imagine it will mostly lean towards the orchestra, I mean I can’t really imagine 808s and EDM synths on this like TENET, but when I try to imagine what Ludwig would do to express the horror of the atom bomb I can feel a sort of Sator-esque dark synth ambience going on

zimmer went electronic for dunkirk, which is also a historical movie, and i love that approach. im hoping goransson does something similar here. not opposed to orchestral music tho.

Maybe this will be an influence?

KEM
Bale Fan wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 11:58 am
zimmer went electronic for dunkirk, which is also a historical movie, and i love that approach. im hoping goransson does something similar here. not opposed to orchestral music tho.
True, but then again Dunkirk isn’t a war movie, it’s a survival horror movie!! If this is a biopic then I’d see the orchestra being the prominent feature but the “epic thriller” description they gave does point to a darker electronic direction

It doesn't really need to be orchestral. It'll probably be a hybrid score.

Dunkirk was a hybrid score but at the same time it wasn't as electronic as everyone thinks. It had a lot of orchestral elements. I think the key word is sound design. Non of the synthesized elements stood out like EDM - except maybe for that pulsating bass at the end. Btw, Interstellar had lots of synthesized elements as well, even some organ sounds but they were designed and mixed to sound very organic.

I expect the same for this. A sound design heavy hybrid score. Especially if is indeed a thriller. Maybe they'll ditch the hi hats and 808s but Nolan loves synths.

Insomniac wrote:
October 14th, 2021, 12:35 pm

Maybe this will be an influence?
Used amazingly in Twin Peaks: the Return. A truly abstract depiction of the bomb. Like an anti-tree of life.

If he decided to take up Göransson, it is definitely to push the musical approach in an original and unexpected way, going off the beaten track, so I think very strongly that we will have a real mix and play on the sounds, in fusion with the images (developed in Tenet), I don't think we'll have a symphonic approach but a composition that will go completely against the idea that we could have given it to us, again, the music will feed Nolan's approach, and we saw the incredible result with Ludwig on Tenet, so let's expect something completely unusual in a way.

KEM
Nolan62 wrote:
October 15th, 2021, 12:33 pm
If he decided to take up Göransson, it is definitely to push the musical approach in an original and unexpected way, going off the beaten track, so I think very strongly that we will have a real mix and play on the sounds, in fusion with the images (developed in Tenet), I don't think we'll have a symphonic approach but a composition that will go completely against the idea that we could have given it to us, again, the music will feed Nolan's approach, and we saw the incredible result with Ludwig on Tenet, so let's expect something completely unusual in a way.
Very true, all good points and I can totally agree, whatever will get its sure to push boundaries and be absolutely amazing

Tarssauce wrote:
October 13th, 2021, 8:02 pm
Would appreciate a link to the interview, please.

I guess lots of people would think Nolan kind of replaced Zimmer but it’s likely that Zimmer didn’t want to return. Zimmer stopped working with Ridley Scott for example.
This is the interview he's referring to I believe. It's not recent though, it's from 2017

Also, both Zimmer & Göransson have a very experimental approach so I don't think that's been a factor in Nolan's decision. I just think Nolan & Zimmer have moved on (who knows if temporarily or forever) to new creative directions in the meantime. Göransson & Villeneuve are fantastic at what they do & will help break new ground for Nolan & Zimmer respectively. Plus Hans not only is busy with Dune Part 2 (He confirmed he's begun writing for it now) but also has a tour in 2022, so no way is he gonna have enough time to manage a Nolan project simultaneously.