Oppenheimer - General Information

The upcoming epic thriller based on J. Robert Oppenheimer, the enigmatic man who must risk destroying the world in order to save it.
I just hope its not a straight forward biopic who wants to do justice for Oppenheimer. Besides a few exceptions (Mishima comes to my mind) I really dislike biopics. I'm rooting for more fiction than reality.

I think the project could resemble to First Man(which Nolan loved btw), so essentially an Oppenheimer biopic with a culmination event.
On the other hand after departing from The Dark Knight Trilogy Nolan has always put the stamp on his next films using his own narrative structure. Dunkirk on paper looked as a conventional WWII movie with spectacle but it is way more than that. Every pore of that movie roars Nolan.
So I'm curious if he will be more conventional with this project. It will definitely have spectacle, 100 millions for this movie justifies that I guess. I'm excited anyway.

Vader182 wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 11:50 pm
radewart wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 10:40 pm
From the variety article, it mentions: "It will also follow Oppenheimer’s later decision to call for more international control of nuclear weapons and his eventual opposition to the development of the hydrogen bomb."

Could be a little insight into how Nolan will approach Oppenheimer as a character, he may try to portray him as a tragic figure who regrets his actions in the development of the bomb and how he tries to atone for them. That could rub some people the wrong way who strictly view Oppenheimer as bad...
I figured the dropping of the bombs could be the climax, but Oppenheimer living in regret probably will be the true third act (..or framing device?) of the movie. It reminds me a bit of Munich, another movie about a state abusing power in retaliation, which slowly transforms from a spy-action thriller to a character study showing the moral despair of the main characters. Ultimately, Spielberg and Kushner connect these events to the War on Terror.

It sounds like this could be what Nolan is up to with Oppenheimer. Especially given his previous comments (and fears) about nuclear proliferation, I figure "Oppenheimer" could draw a direct connection between Oppenheimer's regrets and the nuclear age we've endured since. I don't think that will necessarily "redeem" him, but could express the weight of his moral failure.

This is one of the most interesting angles on the project imo, and speaks to why this may be his least commercially appealing movie.

-Vader
If that's the case, it would be a very very interesting approach (it reminds me that I have to re-watch Munich), and yes, this project feels very new for Nolan, and sounds like a project's approach he's never done, so we'll probably have more of a biopic and an intimate character study than his previous films, I have the feeling that this project will be some kind of a change of pace for him, and this idea already excites me.

It'll a unconventional biopic in every sense of the word.

Oku wrote:
September 14th, 2021, 8:01 pm
What kind of crack do you have to be smoking to want one of the only directors that you can count on the fingers of one hand who can get $100+ million budgets for original films to waste three precious years of his remaining career on a Bond movie of all things and of which there are already literally dozens to choose from
That's pretty much what I'm feeling about the subject.

A big chance for nolan for the academy awards, excelent topic.

Ace

Love seeing artists and masters of their work take control. But damn, no pressure, Nolan! $200 million total budget (including marketing costs). No way it’s a typical drama.

According to the report, Nolan wants
a production budget of around $100 million and an equal marketing spend

total creative control

20 percent of first dollar gross

a blackout period from the studio wherein the company would not release another movie 3 weeks before and after his release
That's power, baby.

btw what does first dollar gross mean

DUNKIRKIE wrote:
September 15th, 2021, 12:13 pm
btw what does first dollar gross mean
Basically he gets 20% every dollar earned at the box office from day one — before the studio has even recovered costs essentially.