Tenet - Awards Season Discussion Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.

Didn't expect this loss :(

Lol i didnt even know what that movie was

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:42 pm
That movie is a wanna-be interstellar. It is not very good, would not recommend it.

A Borges man wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 11:15 pm
Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 10:42 pm
That movie is a wanna-be interstellar. It is not very good, would not recommend it.
And in terms of visual effects, it adds nothing new to the science fiction genre. It looks exactly like Gravity (2013) or Interstellar (2014).

How can it look exactly like two completely different looking films? :P If you said it looks like Interstellar or Ad Astra, I might have understood that but Gravity and Interstellar?

LelekPL wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 4:47 am
How can it look exactly like two completely different looking films? :P If you said it looks like Interstellar or Ad Astra, I might have understood that but Gravity and Interstellar?
It looks like interstellar, ad astra, gravity, first man and the martian....and is 1/10 as good as any of those flicks.

Not a big loss. Tenet only had 1 nomination this year and it was for the big VFX award.

Dunkirk (won supporting), Interstellar (loss the big one but won Enviroment) and Inception (won like 4 including the big one).

Tenet still has a strong chance at the Oscars given how mixed the track record is with the VFX society / Academy Awards:

2014 - Dawn of the Apes / Interstellar (nominated for the big one)
2015 - Force Awakens / Ex-Machina (0 Nominations at the VFX Society :judge: )
2016 - Jungle Book
2017 - War of the Apes / Blade Runner (nominated for the big one) [Dunkirk not nominated for Academy VFX :problem: ]
2018 - Infinity War / First Man (won Supporting)
2019 - Lion King / 1917 (nominated for Supporting)
2020 - Midnight Sky / ???

Tenet's VFX are so subtle that while this may seem like a meme:

I really do think there will be people having a hard time seeing the actual VFXs work because they are so used to computer generated VFXs to the point that they might vote for another film which shows a "better" use of computer VFX and not the one that actually blends in with practical VFX.

Ace

Ace wrote:
April 10th, 2021, 6:28 pm
Good shit! Perfect little tease.