Nolanhack's Next Flick

Speculation and discussion about Christopher Nolan's possible and confirmed future projects.
Nomis wrote:
February 24th, 2021, 7:55 am
bruh if Steven Yeun gets an Oscar nomination for Minari Nolan will cast him as the lead in his next lil flick
Would love to see it. Steven Yeun is great. If we are going by actors who are probably going to be nominated this year, I would love LaKeith Stanfield to get cast in a Nolan flick, that dude rocks.

Does anyone still have this long interview he made with Emma during the promotion of The Dark Knight, where he expressed some interests in doing a western and a horror film. I can't find it anymore.
Thanks in advance guys.

Ace
http://www.incontention.com/2008/12/04/an-evening-with-the-cast-and-crew-of-the-dark-knight/
Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. Lately, the couple has been taking a much deserved (and earned) vacation from the rat race as Nolan toils away on his latest script, an original yarn that Thomas wasn’t quick to discuss. “He has this thing where he grows a beard when he’s writing,” she said. “He has to get rid of it!”

Being a producer on the Batman franchise, Thomas has had her share of creative differences with Nolan in the past. But “he usually convinces me” otherwise, she said. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort.
More recent interviews-

Ace wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 11:03 am
http://www.incontention.com/2008/12/04/an-evening-with-the-cast-and-crew-of-the-dark-knight/
Thomas told me Nolan is actually interested in putting together a western, but the stars haven’t aligned for that yet. Lately, the couple has been taking a much deserved (and earned) vacation from the rat race as Nolan toils away on his latest script, an original yarn that Thomas wasn’t quick to discuss. “He has this thing where he grows a beard when he’s writing,” she said. “He has to get rid of it!”

Being a producer on the Batman franchise, Thomas has had her share of creative differences with Nolan in the past. But “he usually convinces me” otherwise, she said. She mentioned that Nolan is keen to do a horror film, something tangible and perhaps cerebral, more akin to “Jaws” than something supernatural. We chatted briefly about Nolan’s aborted Howard Hughes screenplay but she is hopeful they can revisit the project in the future, despite the success of Martin Scorsese’s “The Aviator” in 2004, which played a role in derailing Nolan’s effort.
More recent interviews-

Thanks!

I'll take a horror film, no thanks to a Western. Inherently problematic genre and I don't need Nolan piled upon for every creative decision. Not say I don't like Westerns, there are some great ones, but it's a difficult genre because it is inherently a-historical.

Also...a Brit doing a Western...I dunno...

A nonsupernatural horror sounds good to me...I think some kind of survival horror makes sense.

I think Nolan should put away the idea for a Howard Hughes film. Let somebody else do it because a lot has been said about his script and honestly, it might not live up to expectations (unfortunately many people do have them instead of focusing on the movie, and they can be more brutal due to this). Not to mention that the existence of Scorsese's The Aviator may end up being a point of controversy when comparisons start and whatnot. That’s just me though.

As for a horror, I would like to see Nolan tackle the more mystical, supernatural or however you want to call it, side of the genre but perhaps he’s not that interested. In any case, it will be interesting to see what he does with horror at some point, and maybe mixing genres with it as he has done in the past with his other works. We'll see.

Horror for me as well. He has already shown he definitely has the chops for making intense sequences.

But I would also like him to finally grow a pair and make a comedy. I get it, it's hard, probably the most difficult and unforgiving genre to make. Even if it gets praised by critics in the US, there's a likelihood it won't be outside of the US and vice versa. Comedy is inherently regional but some do anage to be universal successes. Spielberg tried and failed with 1941. But Kubrick did it once. I know he loves Talladega Knights and maybe that's not the kind of "universal success" you would expect from Nolan (it's ok, but not on the level of other McKay comedies like Step Borthers, Other Guys or Anchorman) but even a movie like that would show him challenging himself and succeeding.

LelekPL wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 4:35 pm
But I would also like him to finally grow a pair and make a comedy. I get it, it's hard, probably the most difficult and unforgiving genre to make.
I believe Nolan's approach, in regards to his respect for comedy genre, is a more mindful way to see it instead of him thinking "Screw it. I'll just grow a pair and do it.". If he ever does a comedy focused film then it’s better to be mostly sure about it than entirely going with a mindset of risking it just for the sake of doing a different genre. After all, it’s a very difficult and unforgiving genre.

ChristNolan wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 3:46 pm
A Borges man wrote:
February 28th, 2021, 3:13 pm
A nonsupernatural horror sounds good to me...I think some kind of survival horror makes sense.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?m ... _=m_ft_dsk
I agree with the general sentiment of your response...but there is a difference between a war/thriller and horror. A person wouldn't say that Saving Private Ryan and Jaws are the same genres.