Animal Cruelty

A place for more serious off-topic discussion and debates.
As someone who largely agrees with Virgo's overall point, I have to say the way he goes about making those points is going to have the opposite of the intended effect. Confrontation and abrasiveness so seldom reaches hearts and minds.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 6:15 am
As someone who largely agrees with Virgo's overall point, I have to say the way he goes about making those points is going to have the opposite of the intended effect. Confrontation and abrasiveness so seldom reaches hearts and minds.

-Vader
Which one of their points? Fucking family or eating animals?

A Borges man wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 8:15 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Consuming meat and the obvious ethical (not to mention health) problems around that issue.

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 8:49 am
A Borges man wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 8:15 am
Vader182 wrote:

-Vader
Consuming meat and the obvious ethical (not to mention health) problems around that issue.

-Vader
:thumbup:

Master Virgo wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 3:05 am
Wow, you actually said that horseshit with a straight face.

Thing about you faux-progressive bunch, you always show your ass eventually.
sorry if i don't take a man seriously because he thinks paleolithic humans were not woke enough to not domesticate animals

Pratham wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 3:02 am
Master Virgo wrote:
February 22nd, 2021, 3:05 am
Wow, you actually said that horseshit with a straight face.

Thing about you faux-progressive bunch, you always show your ass eventually.
sorry if i don't take a man seriously because he thinks paleolithic humans were not woke enough to not domesticate animals
Oh yeah, that's what we are talking about here. Not the fact that we continued down that path and expanded on it to this day. Chaining dogs, abusing and training them for hunting and war or at best as bodyguards. What did you call it again? Our great bond that makes them very special to us. Right.

But don't let me stop you there. You were telling me about these horrible things we had to do to achieve greatness. Let's not forget about all the slaves we needed to build Pyramid. Had to be done. Our glorious civilisation demanded it. We could never do it by paying workers obviously.

Fucking internet would have never existed, if we didn't whip the hell out of cows and horses in our farms. Only if the woke mob could ever understand the gritty reality of our world and the compromises we had to make along the way, so that we create an easier life for them.

Do go on. Enlighten me more.

virgo i love you but are you okay

-Vader

I know this wasn't the original point, but I have to point out that the domestication of certain species wasn't 100% conscious and directed only by humans. I've once read an interesting article about how dogs "domesticated" themselves in a way by realizing that humans are beneficial to their survival, and I'm sure many more examples could be found in nature for this phenomenon.

I only say this because I don't think it serves any purpose to try and solve economical and social issues of our distant past... mainly because I don't think all of that happened on a conscious level. Many species became intertwined in the pre-history of mankind, we hunted animals because we were animals, then as we became more human-like, some animals became accustomed to our company and we mutually evolved in a way that gave the basis for what is going on today. But it is such a complex system where there are a billion factors affecting certain processes that it comes down as demagogic to try to say that "this was wrong", "this was right".

I believe that the original domestication of the many species we find around ourselves (including vegetables and the like) happened on a semi-unconscious level, I would even call that the simple act of natural selection in a way, but whatever industrial apparatus has been built upon that original, natural gift is the real issue that we face nowadays, within the food, fashion and other related industries that exploit and abuse animals and other living things (including humans).

And I don't think anyone on these forums would argue that the modern food industry is completely fine and we shouldn't do anything about it. But, and I have to go back to our original argument in the Cruella topic (lol), some of us were merely pointing out that there is a reason why people are more sensitive towards the abuse of dogs than other domesticated house animals, such as cows or chicken. There are cultural reasons, and I'm pretty sure there are evolutionary reasons. This is something worth discussing, but I don't think anyone argued here that animal abuse and systematic extermination, in general, is okay...

Vader182 wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 5:13 am
virgo i love you but are you okay

-Vader
Listen, I like nothing more than a very polite discourse with some fella who is genuinely interested. But usually I just get a bunch of angsty kids coming at me with their sarcastic attitude and lame jokes, and it's kind of hard to not poke fun at the nonsense that they throw my way.

This guy is trying to arrogantly school me in what animals "oUr anCesTorS" decided to be food and which ones are friends, and the especial bonds that were made with creatures that we manipulated and abused for thousands of years, and that shit is just not going to fly with me.

DHOPW42 wrote:
February 23rd, 2021, 5:31 am
I've once read an interesting article about how dogs "domesticated" themselves in a way by realizing that humans are beneficial to their survival, and I'm sure many more examples could be found in nature for this phenomenon.
Domesticated cats are a great example. The relationship was beneficial to both. Humans provided easy access to food and comfort while they were perfect hunters for rodents that were eating supplies.