I'm Thinking of Ending Things (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
I'm still convinced Kaufman's best work is Adaptation. So overlooked compared to his other stuff.

Biggest disappointment of the year! Kaufmanns weakest work! Eternal Sunshine and Synecdoche New York are some of the best movies I've ever seen. Being John Malkovich and Adaptation showed us that not everything is told and done. There are still unique interesting stories to tell out there. So my expectations were very high.

This movie is very dialog-heavy. Which is normally not a bad thing. But Kaufmann didn't visualized it exciting. Most of the movie it's just 2 people talking in a car about socio political and existential stuff that you already heard 1000 times before in other movies (especially in Kaufmann movies). You could smell the generic plottwist after already 30 min. So you have to fight through all this mess, just to get your plottwist served for you as musical and dance number. Horrible :crazy:

This movie year really sucks and I hope Wes Anderson & Dune will rescue it somehow.

Unaffecting, confused misfire from Kaufman. His first genuinely boring effort.
2/5

This was excellent. It's as haunting as it is beautiful, it's a surreal, soul-churning labyrinth through time and memory and deeply uncomfortable family dinners. If Kaufman ever made a full tilt horror movie it would look a lot like this. Buckley is amazing, and gives a beating heart to a (literally) very chilly movie.

It's Kaufman's best in a while, and while it is 100% him for good and bad (he probably shouldn't direct his own stuff), many moments are also truly Lynchian. It's one of the most overused phrases on Film Twitter, but Kaufman recalls Lynch's particular blend of small town domestic absurdity and off-beat comic surrealism.

One thing I really loved is how Kaufman elegantly turns "we are what we eat" into "we are what we watch/read/like." There's something quietly profound in it that really moved me. I've never seen a movie so beautifully unspool how once we experience a song or a movie or a photograph, it can feel so intimate it takes on a life of its own inside yourself, eventually feeling as though you co-authored that song or movie or photograph.

-Vader

This is quite the thing to say for a guy who cast a white actress to play an Asian American fairly recently.

Allstar wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 1:35 pm

This is quite the thing to say for a guy who cast a white actress to play an Asian American fairly recently.

This is an interesting film.
It’s almost like an indie little sister film to Tenet in terms of time, what we do with it, who we spend it with, could we make things different if we could go back? Etc etc. I dunno. I would’ve liked it if it was even creepier

Disney+'s solo2001 wrote:
August 8th, 2020, 11:45 pm
this looks very good in a number of ways
*closes book by the fireside* ...and so it was.

idk man

I don't think I even made it 10 minutes in lol

worth continuing?