TENET - General Information

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
When they shot the opening scene of the Godfather, Coppola found a cat backstage, he handed it over to Brando, and that's now one of the many iconic details of the scene, but it just happened because Coppola found a cat, and thought it'd be fun to have the cat in the scene, nothing was planned. I doubt Nolan with all the production difficulties planned to have a cat, did they find a cat on the day and put him there? Or did the cat happened to walk there? Also Nolan works fast: for such a simple scene, he doesn't do many takes, probably not more than two.

having been to the amalfi coast, there's just tons of stray cats there, kind of unavoidable.

Demoph wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 12:58 pm

life wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 2:22 am

53:26 of the movie, the protagonist is walking to Sator's dinner party.
There is a white cat behind him.
Why
Nolan intentionally put this shot in the movie.
What is the purpose of the cat?
Symbolism for Kat?
I've tried to go back in a couple of his films and don't remember any other shots of cats.
Is this an easter egg?
This shot stuck out to me for some reason.
There must be a reason Nolan put a cat in his movie.

Anyway, love you guys.
Thought you might find this interesting
Hopefully someone knows more than I
:)
When they shot the opening scene of the Godfather, Coppola found a cat backstage, he handed it over to Brando, and that's now one of the many iconic details of the scene, but it just happened because Coppola found a cat, and thought it'd be fun to have the cat in the scene, nothing was planned. I doubt Nolan with all the production difficulties planned to have a cat, did they find a cat on the day and put him there? Or did the cat happened to walk there? Also Nolan works fast: for such a simple scene, he doesn't do many takes, probably not more than two.
The cat is dead center of the screen, I don't think it would be there if Nolan didn't want it in the shot.
Maybe I'm overthinking it. The guy who said it adds atmosphere is probably right. Nolan was walking around the area and saw some strays and thought to include one in the scene that day. Nothing more.

"Consider the pigeon just a pigeon...There are lots of pigeons in Paris."
—Michael Haneke on the meaning of pigeons in his movies

;) :)

BobCobb wrote:
January 22nd, 2021, 12:50 pm
Why did The Rewatchables podcast remove so many episodes?
you can listen to the whole archive only on Spotify

Robin wrote:
January 26th, 2021, 11:36 am
‘Tenet’ Is Destined to Become a Cult Movie
https://www.theringer.com/movies/2021/1 ... ce=twitter
I didn't read the article yet, but I thought with the pandemic going on, Tenet's only fighting chance of mass appeal/approval would be with groups that could give it subsequent viewing, and that wouldn't have been during its theatrical run. One could also use subtitles now, which according to others is helpful.

On a kind of alternative path here, not that I think this should be done nor do I necessarily want it to happen, but Tenet's best shot of being looked at fondly is if it gets a sequel surrounding Protag and Neil "getting up to some stuff." If Nolan played his cards right, the relationship could be ironed out, the mechanics could become further understood and adorned, and for all we know he was waiting on a sequel to throw the tie-in that Max absolutely grows into Neil. Again, I don't necessary want this or expect this, but it is very possible for a sequel to strengthen an original film (I personally believe The Dark Knight does this for Batman Begins, and even though the original is already superior I also believe The Matrix is strengthened by Reloaded and Revolutions in the case of the war between humans and machines).

Although it's a crowded future, I am hoping for an IMAX re-release at some point with it, even though I think this film is Nolan's worst use of IMAX impact since his first effort in TDK (and Dunkirk is his best).

It reminds me more of S6E10 more though, when Abed is trying to change the present by having a flash-back to warn his past-self, but understand that what's happened's happened and therefore imagine that the present is a flashback from the future.
Anyway, Tenet rules and Community rules.