Amsterdam (2022)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Vader182 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 3:49 pm
David O Russell's a piece of shit and probably shouldn't be working, but his movies net actors nominations and thus they want to work with him.
Yeah, which is why we should side eye these people. It makes it even worse - no one’s even trying to pretend he’s a nice guy with flaws, it’s blatantly awards recognition over ethics.

Ultimately when the tide will (almost undoubtedly) turn on Russell, once the stories and allegations of new on set abuse start flowing, the real question may end up being - why should we even care. Personally I’m really disappointed with seeing some of those names attached. There’s a whole another can of worms with groping allegations of his transgender niece - no, sorry, not even allegations - he admitted to it. But I guess trans lives only matter when celebs make an instagram story with rainbow flags around every pride month.

Too many good actors who seem like decent people completely ignoring *who* they're working for.

Completely spitting on the people who've made allegations and the actors/actresses mistreated by him the past.

Vader182 wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 3:49 pm
David O Russell's a piece of shit and probably shouldn't be working, but his movies net actors nominations and thus they want to work with him.

As for American Hustle, I know it has a reputation for 'just doing Scorsese' but it's not. Stylistically yes, a bit, but the actual content is very different. Oddly closer to Catch Me if You Can, essentially a film about how we all wear masks and tell both others and ourselves what we need to hear to make it through daily life. Thus the many scenes of characters creating personas of themselves in mirrors, etc, etc. And like Catch Me if You Can, it's a high-energy caper on the surface but a deeply melancholic film underneath. It still really plays for me, and the performances are amazing. One of Bale's best. Same with Cooper.

So I would not agree it's "pointless." It's actually my favorite Russell!

-Vader
I don’t buy it. Lots of directors make movies that continually get actor nominations.

Bacon wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Too many good actors who seem like decent people completely ignoring *who* they're working for.

Completely spitting on the people who've made allegations and the actors/actresses mistreated by him the past.
They care about their careers more than anything else.

Allstar wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:07 pm
Bacon wrote:

This is what is bugging me, all the actors in this film have amazing careers. They really don't need to work with O. Russell.

Artemis wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:34 pm
Allstar wrote:
January 17th, 2021, 8:07 pm
Bacon wrote:

This is what is bugging me, all the actors in this film have amazing careers. They really don't need to work with O. Russell.
They don’t care, it’s all potential more acclaim.

I just don't understand why they would want to work with somebody who confirmed that they groped their transgender niece. Plus, with all those stories about what O. Russell is like on set, why would anybody be interested in working with somebody like him? It's not like James Cameron where an argument can be made that the end justifies the means in creating something innovative (namely the abuse the actors took on the set of The Abyss), but O. Russell is not exactly reinventing the wheel with his films.

BlairCo wrote:
January 18th, 2021, 2:39 am
I just don't understand why they would want to work with somebody who confirmed that they groped their transgender niece. Plus, with all those stories about what O. Russell is like on set, why would anybody be interested in working with somebody like him? It's not like James Cameron where an argument can be made that the end justifies the means in creating something innovative (namely the abuse the actors took on the set of The Abyss), but O. Russell is not exactly reinventing the wheel with his films.
You really underestimate how much certain actors care about awards/Oscars.

looks bland as ass