Wonder Woman 1984 (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
Finally saw this.

Not sure how I feel about it to be honest. I really loved Diana and Steve in this. Couldn’t care less about the two antagonists. The ending is just meh. Even Zimmer’s score... not a fan of the “cheerful” approach. The love theme he wrote (“Lost and Found”) is incredible though.

I’d watch it again but definitely could’ve been so much better.

When did we start rating films on how ‘toxic’ their messages are rather than the quality of their production?

anikom15 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 6:57 pm
When did we start rating films on how ‘toxic’ their messages are rather than the quality of their production?
big fan of Birth of a Nation I see

-Vader

anikom15 wrote:
anikom15 wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 12:28 am
I recently rewatched this movie and Jesus Christ is it bad. I’ve never really liked this movie. As a kid I found it boring and as an adult I found it so idealistic as to be meaningless. Well one thing I never realized is how the humor relies entirely on ethnic stereotypes. I don’t know if I’m just more sensitive to it after spending so much time with Europeans, but this is just ridiculous.

Speedy Gonzales is fucking hilarious. Gone with the Wind is one of my favorite movies, unironically.

Now that that’s out of the way, I just can’t believe how a movie could possibly get away with relying on ridiculous clichés. If your movie has a shitty plot and boring characters, it needs to at least be funny, or something, and it’s not. And this is 1955, not 1925. This humor should have been played out at the time. Did people really find this shit funny back then? Was it all the little kids from the war boon? I just don’t get it.

Speaking of shitty plot, the plot is shitty. It’s a Disney movie, whatever, but Lady is a stupid character. She’s a dog that looks good I guess? I don’t know. I’m human. I don’t know what a good looking dog is supposed to look like. If I’m being honest, the characters are about as well-developed as the ones from Sleeping Beauty, but Sleeping Beauty is hot. That’s her thing. And you know what? Prince Philip is hot too. That’s all we need. Dogs are not hot. That’s fucking weird. Give us something else to lean on besides dogs going on dates. I guess they got it right with One Hundred and One Dalmations, Aristocats, and I guess Robin Hood, later on, but it doesn’t forgive this piece of shit.

The only thing good about this movie is the voice acting and animation (Peggy Lee is completely wasted though), but even the animation is not wholly impressive. Bambi came out like twenty years before and looks better, and is actually a good movie. Animating animals is also not really a challenge. Again, Sleeping Beauty is a classic for its technical prowess and legendary archetypes, not its characterization, but that movie has people and hair getting animated really well. Dogs running around is something I can get out of Looney Tunes.

This movie may very well be the worst of the Disney canon that Disney worked on himself, but then The Three Caballeros exists. Actually, I think I’d rather watch The Three Caballeros. At least that movie is educational and has music with rhythm.

anikom15 wrote:
since when is messaging not a key part of evaluating and how you feel about cinema?

Vader182 wrote:
January 6th, 2021, 7:37 pm
anikom15 wrote:
big fan of Birth of a Nation I see

-Vader
and "Triumph of the Will"... best film of all-time? :P

anikom15 wrote:
sir, this is a wonder woman 1984 thread

This is now rotten on RT.

Is it a MASTERPIECE or is it TRASH?
Do we LOVE it or do we HATE it?
Is it Certified Fresh or is it Rotten?

Pick a side and go, boyz!

m4st4 wrote:
January 9th, 2021, 9:11 am

Is it a MASTERPIECE or is it TRASH?
Do we LOVE it or do we HATE it?
Is it Certified Fresh or is it Rotten?

Pick a side and go, boyz!
Not picking a side, but yeah, it's definitely not certified fresh.