Mank (2020)

All non-Nolan related film, tv, and streaming discussions.
And... Can we honestly just appreciate how Gary Oldman managed to pull a superlikeable, intelligent (dare I say sexy, at times?)... fucking alcoholic? I knew of a couple in my life and none were downright likeable when heavy drinking.

Doing a soundtrack like that during covid... Damn son.

m4st4 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm
And... Can we honestly just appreciate how Gary Oldman managed to pull a superlikeable, intelligent (dare I say sexy, at times?)... fucking alcoholic? I knew of a couple in my life and none were downright likeable when heavy drinking.
He did it better in Friends

1. Zodiac
2. Gone Girl
3. TSN
4. Seven
5. TGWTDT
6. Fight Club
7. Ben Button
8. The Game
9. Mank
10. Panic Room
11. Alien 3

This was a let down for me. Has its moments but overall just a bit aimless. Never really takes off. Also I know Fincher is a champion of digital but not sold it was the right format for this.

Fincher replicated reel change over cue marks, but then AR was not 1.37. Not that such cue marks were inherent to 1.37 only.
Not having an AR of 1.37 just felt like a huge contradiction, considering what else is being achieved stylistically. Though I read that Fincher and Messerschmidt did some tests, but it didn't work for them.

Because everyone is throwing their rankings in:

1. Zodiac
2. The Social Network
3. Se7en
4. Fight Club
5. Gone Girl
6. Panic Room
7. Alien 3
8. The Game
9. Mank
10. Girl with the dragon tattoo
11. Benjamin Button

I was entertained by Mank, the last scene with Welles is laughable bullshit. Also, the whole movie felt anti-climatic and absolutely zero stakes or tension. Also, the audio in this thing rivaled Tenet, but I don't see people losing their shit, just goes to show.
Not enough Amanda Siegfred. This really is more The Artist than The Player. The stuff about Uptown Sinclair's campaign was the most interesting.

1. Zodiac
2. The Social Network
3. Se7en
4. Gone Girl
5. Dragon Tattoo
6. Fight Club
7. Benjamin Button
8. The Game
9. Panic Room
10. Alien 3
11. Mank

Don't think he cracks the story in Mank, it's the only one of his that i think fundamentally doesn't come together and buckles. But it's confident, and there's some magnificent scenes. If that's your worst film then you're doin ok.

LelekPL wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
m4st4 wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm
He did it better in Friends
Because he was wearing two belts

everybody who likes mank is my friend and everybody who doesn’t like mank is not my friend

but you can redeem yourself if you think zodiac is fincher’s best

Ruth wrote:
December 17th, 2020, 4:04 pm
everybody who likes mank is my friend and everybody who doesn’t like mank is not my friend

but you can redeem yourself if you think zodiac is fincher’s best
I love Mank and think it's better than Zodiac. 🤔 So... When do we marry? 😬