Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 4:39 pm
You guys do watch other movies, correct?
Mathew was great in my humble opinion. You have your opinion too and I respect that.
Overall Nolan is always the star of his movies with his scripts and scope but I do acknowledge that the Tenet script isnt as Character based or crowd pleasing as his previous movies .

I think everyone is giving Tenet a hard time and I agree it should have been delayed .

What's odd is that I dont see any articles mentioning flops like Mulan, Unhinged and New Mutants .

Tenet is the scape goat these days.

mosh89 wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 11:16 pm
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 22nd, 2020, 4:39 pm
You guys do watch other movies, correct?
Mathew was great in my humble opinion. You have your opinion too and I respect that.
I think Matthew was great as well, but I honestly don't think his role was very demanding (save a few important scenes, don't worry I thought he was outstanding in those), and now people are throwing around every actor and actress that's been in one of his movies.

Dunkirk was not really an acting movie. I don’t think Interstellar had enough good sense. Mathew is great in it. Nolan usually gets great performances out of his actors. Remember it is really hard for an actor to nomination. Most actor get nominated for smaller movie. Since TDK how many actors have won for an Oscar for being in a big budget movie. Nolan makes movies that are not always about a character’s performance.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 12:51 pm
Dunkirk was not really an acting movie. I don’t think Interstellar had enough good sense. Mathew is great in it. Nolan usually gets great performances out of his actors. Remember it is really hard for an actor to nomination. Most actor get nominated for smaller movie. Since TDK how many actors have won for an Oscar for being in a big budget movie. Nolan makes movies that are not always about a character’s performance.
Depends on how you define big budget movies? Lets just say it starts with 100 million.
Best Actor - Leo DiCaprio (The Revenant)
Best Actress - Zero
Best Supporting Actor - Brad Pitt (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood)
Best Supporting Actress - Zero
And both movies were not really your typical tentpole blockbuster. So yes you're right.

Maybe it's time for an Award thread :D

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 12:51 pm
yea I agree. every main cast in Dunkirk had very, very few lines. it's more of a atmospheric movie.

“This is not how Warner Bros. expected it to go even in their worst-case scenario,” says Jeff Bock, senior box-office analyst for Exhibitor Relations. “They are not happy with these numbers. I’ve never seen a studio hide anything unless they’re disappointed. If you have something to crow about, they’ll let the world know.”
It’s unlikely to clear the [return-on-investment] bar. However, the world is in a pretty unique place so I don’t know if that was ever possible
https://www.vulture.com/2020/09/is-tene ... ained.html

Is it in any way possible for them to rerelease it next year? I mean it seems like theaters are going to close again, so could it have another release in 2021? Assuming they don't release it on VOD or bluray.

Tenet's critic Rotten Tomatoes score is sinking like Titanic - it has a now a 72% rating with only 256 reviews. I watched it 3 times in the theater, 2 in IMAX, and I recently downloaded a a very good cam rip Torrent to see if the movie holds up outside of the big screen and audio experience in a theater. Oh wow ... the movie loses a lot of it's power. Even though it has a $200 million budget and several locations, it doesn't feel big.

I predict people who buy this movie digitally months from now will like it even less. This movie has no characters and the audience is already desensitized to the inversion gimmick half way through the movie. We will look back on this movie in the future and see Tenet as a low point in Nolan's career.

Tenet is doing so badly it's literally triggering every other movie to movie to 2021 lol

-Vader

Vader182 wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 7:29 pm
Tenet is doing so badly it's literally triggering every other movie to movie to 2021 lol

-Vader
Tenet is in and of itself the detritus of a coming war... of the movie release dates!

speedy117 wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 6:56 pm
Is it in any way possible for them to rerelease it next year? I mean it seems like theaters are going to close again, so could it have another release in 2021? Assuming they don't release it on VOD or bluray.
There isn't any way those distributors won't be able to get their hands on the opportunity for audiences to be able to guarantee themselves a viewing of this movie with two permissible grants: the safety of their own homes and the option to turn on subtitles! :lol: