Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
speedy117 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I know ticket sales go down as the weeks progress but given the current circumstance, do you think there may be a time in the near future where more people are going to see Tenet resulting in ticket sales going UP? Possibly because more theaters are opening or people are more willing to go to theaters.
COVID is clearly having an effect on people willing to go to the theater. If any other movie would have been able to fill up more than 25% without COVID and is not meeting 25% with COVID, then it's clearly a problem.

I think the one thing nobody ever accounted for was the social aspect of gathering at a cinema to see a film. I personally learned really early on that going to a movie by myself is a joyous adventure since it really shouldn't contain a social aspect in and of itself, but if both you and somebody else are quarantining and can't afford to see each other in any other particular circumstance, then I guess you won't go out and see a movie together either. And unless they're like me and some others, they don't want to be loners and go see one on their own.

Selfishly though, I'm glad Tenet is out so I could see it, and I'm also glad that Tenet is potentially saving movie theaters... so I guess WB and Nolan were aware that this loss could happen. But until there is a vaccine or some other form of eradication for this virus, don't expect a jump. People are happily at home streaming VOD, unfortunately.

speedy117 wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 12:27 pm
I know ticket sales go down as the weeks progress but given the current circumstance, do you think there may be a time in the near future where more people are going to see Tenet resulting in ticket sales going UP? Possibly because more theaters are opening or people are more willing to go to theaters.
The problem, as I see it in the US, is that the theaters that are currently open can't sustain operations with just Tenet for the next 2 months. The theater chain I worked is already closing locations on Mondays, Wednesday, and Thursdays. That's just the start. So even if an individual who is hesitant right now to go into a theater, somehow, gets more confident in the coming few weeks, they might not have a theater around them to go to.

Also, as I mentioned, if AMCs or Regals finally get the go ahead to open in NY/LA, will they do so after watching many of their other locations struggle with just Tenet? They may decide to just keep closed until more product is confirmed to open.

Here in NYC all of the theaters are still shut. Indoor dining starts at the end of the month. Perhaps theaters will open around the same time. They’re obviously gonna have to grind it out for the rest of the Fall. The infection rate here is super low. We just have to take it a week at a time.

havent seen the film (most likely will have to see it on blu ray sadly)
but 2 things already surprise me:
1) How angry Vader seems to be at Nolan for making this film the way he did, the passive aggressiveness (sometimes not so passive) is really off putting, its perfectly fine if you didnt like the film but you are acting like he did something disrespectful or offensive :lol:
2) how deaf i am for cringe worthy dialogue, english is not my first language so give me a little break, but it surprises me how many of Chris`s dialogue people find clunky or cringy, i just dont see it, i DO find it too formal perhaps.
Last edited by Nicolaslabra on September 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm
1) How angry Vader seems to be at Nolan for making this film the way he did, the passive aggressiveness (sometimes not so passive) is really off putting, its perfectly fine if you didnt like the film but you are acting like he did something disrespectful or offensive :lol:
2) how deaf i am for cringe worthy dialogue, english is not my first language so give me a little break, but it surprises me how many of Chris`s dialogue people find clunky or cringy, i just dont see it, i find it too formal perhaps.
For dialogue, you can go one of two (or both ways):

1) Do it like Richard Linklater, where the characters speak like actual humans even if it is sometimes cringe but always feels real.

2) Do it like Aaron Sorkin, where nobody speaks like they do but it's in a clever, snappy form that is engaging for cinema.

What Nolan sometimes does ("Have a nice trip, see you next fall") is neither, and in a blockbuster that otherwise has very intricate storytelling it kind of just sticks out. It's like he's trying to inject humor to show he's not always serious (and sometimes he does this quite well), but it can feel like a bit that should have had a couple of other takes with different lines.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:41 pm
Nicolaslabra wrote:
September 13th, 2020, 2:36 pm
2) how deaf i am for cringe worthy dialogue, english is not my first language so give me a little break, but it surprises me how many of Chris`s dialogue people find clunky or cringy, i just dont see it, i find it too formal perhaps.
For dialogue, you can go one of two (or both ways):

1) Do it like Richard Linklater, where the characters speak like actual humans even if it is sometimes cringe but always feels real.

2) Do it like Aaron Sorkin, where nobody speaks like they do but it's in a clever, snappy form that is engaging for cinema.

What Nolan sometimes does ("Have a nice trip, see you next fall") is neither, and in a blockbuster that otherwise has very intricate storytelling it kind of just sticks out. It's like he's trying to inject humor to show he's not always serious (and sometimes he does this quite well), but it can feel like a bit that should have had a couple of other takes with different lines.
His dialogue is functional. Occassionally poetic, funny, and clever; Occassionally turgid, flat food, and akward.

I mean Aaron Sorkin and David Mamet are often cited as kings of dialogue...they have flicks that are dramatically worse than anything Nolan has made. Molly's Game: all dialogue, no shape to the story, and dramatically inert.

Nolan and Cameron have very compare dialogue styles. But I don't see people pathologically, endlessly discussing Cameron's shit dialogue. Maybe because Cameron makes movies less often.

Maybe a bit offtopic, but....
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/13/medi ... index.html
According to the studio, the live-action remake of the 1998 animated classic brought in an estimated $23.2 million opening in China this weekend. The film also brought in less money than Warner Bros.' "Tenet," which opened to roughly $30 million in China last weekend.
Disney :lol: :clap:

Nolan's career box-office numbers (worldwide) should cross the $5 billion-mark within a week or so. :twothumbsup:

Anyone think Nolan plans on betting on himself and funds one of his own movies one day? He could become a billionaire all on his own!