Tenet - Box Office Autopsy

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
It was definitely too early, they should have at least pushed it to October 2nd.

Dobson wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:29 am
The problem with the $20.2M domestic figute is that it includes all Canadian grosses from 12 days. The US alone has $14M and that includes all the previews throughout the week.
Correct. This is basically a week of showtimes, not just a weekend, making the numbers look more dismal than they first appear.

-Vader

Fucking karma sometimes works.

Both Tenet and Mulan both disappointed. Mulan only got a million buys for a total of 30m but VOD drops like a rock after the first weekend. At most Disney will get only 60m. This will be harder for studios to decide what to do. Theaters aren’t generating a profit nor is VOD.

Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:07 pm
Both Tenet and Mulan both disappointed. Mulan only got a million buys for a total of 30m but VOD drops like a rock after the first weekend. At most Disney will get only 60m. This will be harder for studios to decide what to do. Theaters aren’t generating a profit nor is VOD.
I think TENET numbers are pretty decent over pandemic scenario and VOD still doesn't work for blockbusters.

LeoCobb wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:15 pm
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
I think TENET numbers are pretty decent over pandemic scenario and VOD still doesn't work for blockbusters.
Right

Vader182 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 3:53 pm
Dobson wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:29 am
The problem with the $20.2M domestic figute is that it includes all Canadian grosses from 12 days. The US alone has $14M and that includes all the previews throughout the week.
Correct. This is basically a week of showtimes, not just a weekend, making the numbers look more dismal than they first appear.

-Vader
SF is allowed to open their theaters but the mayor hasn't budged yet. NYC is potentially waiting for the end of the month to open it.

Orange county (not LA county, but close) is also on route to opening cinemas by end of this September.

So I would say the numbers ain't that bad...

Also, reliable sources say WB is considering delaying WW1984 and Dune to let Tenet have a longer theatrical window.

I really hope Tenet can make at least 500 million worldwide to break even.

LeoCobb wrote:
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
Yea I agree. As much as I wish I can watch a 1080p version of TENET right now, I strongly believe that Tenet deserves a long ass theatrical window so that as many Nolan fans worldwide can watch it on the big screen.

I hope Tenet makes sufficient money that WB continue to write blank check for Nolan. The rumour earlier this year that Tenet is 3 blockbuster combined is utter bullshit. Yes, Tenet is a large scale movie but I didn't feel like it was much bigger than say a typical Bond movie.

I hope Nolan makes a larger scale movie than Tenet in the next decade or so.

dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 12:29 am
LeoCobb wrote:
Jesus of Suburbia wrote:
Yea I agree. As much as I wish I can watch a 1080p version of TENET right now, I strongly believe that Tenet deserves a long ass theatrical window so that as many Nolan fans worldwide can watch it on the big screen.

I hope Tenet makes sufficient money that WB continue to write blank check for Nolan. The rumour earlier this year that Tenet is 3 blockbuster combined is utter bullshit. Yes, Tenet is a large scale movie but I didn't feel like it was much bigger than say a typical Bond movie.

Yeah, I think Pattinson's interviews made me underwhelmed about some of the setpieces not being as grand as he seemed to make them out to be (I mean Inception seemed larger), but if he meant that it's "mentally massive" then I would agree.

Unless he's just talking about a big plane, lol.

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 12:31 am
dragon_phoenix wrote:
September 8th, 2020, 12:29 am
LeoCobb wrote:

Yeah, I think Pattinson's interviews made me underwhelmed about some of the setpieces not being as grand as he seemed to make them out to be (I mean Inception seemed larger), but if he meant that it's "mentally massive" then I would agree.

Unless he's just talking about a big plane, lol.
Yea the car chase scene was greatly but it felt small in scale. The plane crash scene was a bit 'meh' for me and it had to be relatively small because it's a transport plane that is only meant to destroy a small part of the freeport.

The movie only felt like a blockbuster because of the sheer complexity of the plot and depth of the script.