Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
Christopher Nolan had also gave interview that JDW and Pattinson characters have hidden identities, because they live in a espionage world. We dont know if Neil is the real name for Pattinson character. At the end Pattinson asked JDW if he will go back to London for Kat and JDW answered: no that is to dangerous. Pattinson asked him: Even from a far? What he means about that is e-mail and phone call.

When JDW asked Branagh character: Do you like opera? What he means about that is that he knows who was behind the attack in Opera. And Branagh looked little bit consorned to him like shit he knows it. So if you live in a espionage world you do things very secretly.

Jumanji the next level has 72% on rotten tomatoes and it is not certified fresh. How is that possible because it is above 70%

Vader182 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 2:18 am
Fury Road barely made a profit.

Regardless, obviously movies have different levels of accessibility and general interest, but I don't think it's cool to make value judgements about the general audience because they're not into Heneke or Kiarostami or Jarmusch or whatever.

Some folks here keep blaming the GA for their lack of literacy when it comes to Tenet's (lack of) accessibility and I think that's pretty lame.

-Vader
It’s not even like movies like Tenet or BR2049 are “inaccessible”. I mean Kiarostami or Haneke are definitely for a niche group but Tenet is essentially a 2.5 hour action movie that just requires some level of thought into its narrative and concept (something you could literally figure out for yourself by talking with your friends or reading up on it online). BR2049 is like literal eye candy that features tons of really cool ideas that should be accessible to anyone that is a fan of sci fi, which is a pretty audience friendly genre. The fact they may not be “accessible” is simply because audiences don’t really like to think. This can also be seen with how Joker, which is essentially a dumbed down version of a superior film like King of Comedy, could make a billion or even Deadpool, which is just 14 year old toilet humor and cheap cgi gore

If you look at the top 15-20 movies every year in box office, it’s kinda hard to deny that GA mostly loves very simple minded movies. I mean looking at the kind of movies marketed every year for summer releases, it’s clear Hollywood knows this too. Nolan and Denis are about the only exceptions to this at the moment. But Denis has only found mid budget type success at best so far. I worry Dune will also flop because of this reason.

MaxContract wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 12:20 pm
It’s not even like movies like Tenet or BR2049 are “inaccessible”. I mean Kiarostami or Haneke are definitely for a niche group but Tenet is essentially a 2.5 hour action movie that just requires some level of thought into its narrative and concept (something you could literally figure out for yourself by talking with your friends or reading up on it online). BR2049 is like literal eye candy that features tons of really cool ideas that should be accessible to anyone that is a fan of sci fi, which is a pretty audience friendly genre. The fact they may not be “accessible” is simply because audiences don’t really like to think. This can also be seen with how Joker, which is essentially a dumbed down version of a superior film like King of Comedy, could make a billion or even Deadpool, which is just 14 year old toilet humor and cheap cgi gore

If you look at the top 15-20 movies every year in box office, it’s kinda hard to deny that GA mostly loves very simple minded movies. I mean looking at the kind of movies marketed every year for summer releases, it’s clear Hollywood knows this too. Nolan and Denis are about the only exceptions to this at the moment. But Denis has only found mid budget type success at best so far. I worry Dune will also flop because of this reason.
I don’t agree with Joker being "dumbed down" but each to their own.
GA tend to want entertainment more than anything but that doesn’t always mean they don’t like to think. If you ask me, I see this as a cultural characteristic as well because many people still see entertainment as a show that can give them a "fun" time instead of pushing them to wonder, meditate, reflect, etc. Beyond their comfort zone while at the same time getting thrilled over it. The term "entertainment" sometimes is mainly seen as just some sort of superficial amusement, so it’s only when people like Nolan and Dennis Villeneuve or even Matt Reeves with his planet of the apes that the norm for what entertainment and blockbusters can do change for the better. Therefore, I don’t believe it’s solely due to them liking simple minded movies but about what Hollywood (or any other that sometimes follows the same path) does to cinema too, which turns into some form of standard to a handful of people.
Last edited by Paradoxicalparabola on September 7th, 2020, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This is a little unexpected.

bootsy wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Awesome. Although I’m out of the loop here, why is it unexpected?

Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:35 pm
bootsy wrote:

He's not a big Nolan fan. Doesn't like most of his movies. It took Tarantino's love for Dunkirk for him to come around on that movie.

bootsy wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:45 pm
Paradoxicalparabola wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:35 pm
bootsy wrote:

He's not a big Nolan fan. Doesn't like most of his movies. It took Tarantino's love for Dunkirk for him to come around on that movie.
Thank you. Interesting that Tarantino had such effect on him to appreciate Dunkirk more. One thing is true, Tenet’s reception has been different and unexpected among people.