Tenet's Cinematography

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
earthlag wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:43 pm
There were long sequences that were shot completely on 70mm and did not switch at all. It has a lot to do with location, so if there were scenes that cut between action or dialogue in separate places, that's where the most jarring shifts happened. Still didn't find it too bad and didn't take me out of the movie any.
What about the whole ending sequence?
I assume the Eagle Mountain stuff was all IMAX, but was Kat and Sator on the yacht in Vietnam also IMAX?

KEM
marshallmurphy wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 9:37 am
earthlag wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:43 pm
There were long sequences that were shot completely on 70mm and did not switch at all. It has a lot to do with location, so if there were scenes that cut between action or dialogue in separate places, that's where the most jarring shifts happened. Still didn't find it too bad and didn't take me out of the movie any.
I assume the Eagle Mountain stuff was all IMAX, but was Kat and Sator on the yacht in Vietnam also IMAX?
Nope!

Just came here to praise Tenet's cinematography.

The film was absolutely stunning to look at.

For me, it might be the prettiest Nolan film after Interstellar.

The way the action was shot (clear, concise shots, without shaky camera) made it spectacular. Especially with how visually awesome those inversion scenes were.

Nolanfan93 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Interstellar is incredible harsh to look at and is straight up ugly at times.

Interstellar apologists never cease to amaze me.

MyCocaine wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:57 pm
Nolanfan93 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 1:34 pm
Interstellar is incredible harsh to look at and is straight up ugly at times.

Interstellar apologists never cease to amaze me.
It could be said that Interstellar detractors never cease to amaze other people. I guess it goes both ways.

KEM wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 11:46 am
marshallmurphy wrote:
Nope!
Damn. That kind of sucks. :(

KEM
marshallmurphy wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:35 pm
KEM wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 11:46 am
marshallmurphy wrote:
Nope!
Damn. That kind of sucks. :(
To be fair it wasn’t too noticeably, it’s something I only realized on later viewings but doesn’t take away from anything

What was your guys favorite shot? I've only seen the film once so this is probably gonna change but from what I remember
I really liked the scene with Sator and the Protagonist at Sator's turnstile. The red and blue colors looked amazing. I know this is more like a scene than one particular shot but I can't remember anything else that stood out to me.

KEM wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 6:51 pm
To be fair it wasn’t too noticeably, it’s something I only realized on later viewings but doesn’t take away from anything
The changing aspect ratio actually doesn't bother me. I was just hoping that sequence would be shot on IMAX because it's a beautiful location.

speedy117 wrote:
September 7th, 2020, 7:07 pm
What was your guys favorite shot? I've only seen the film once so this is probably gonna change but from what I remember
I really liked the scene with Sator and the Protagonist at Sator's turnstile. The red and blue colors looked amazing. I know this is more like a scene than one particular shot but I can't remember anything else that stood out to me.
The one that fucked with me the most was the building that assembled itself and then its top blew off right after.

One more time, I never saw this shot before watching it in theater because I didn't see any images beforehand. This whole movie was a complete mindfuck and gave me a headache for all the right reasons, this shot in particular.

I have no idea how Nolan filmed this thing, but kudos to him.