Tenet Reviews/Reactions [Possible SPOILERS]

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
MaxContract wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 9:18 am

Stuckmann thought this was far more complex than Inception, but he ended up not caring about any of the characters
Having just seen it myself earlier today, I will say I agree with pretty much his entire assessment (I generally like watching his reviews and I see he has an entire playlist btw of his Nolan reviews https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... gBMTk2PKdt)

TENET was very very good and a welcome return to the cinema, but I prefer Inception because it has more character depth and I don't think that will change even with repeat viewings of TENET.

Also, the sound mixing was an issue for me too. I don't understand why Nolan has been doing this with the almost unintelligible dialogue (often spoken through masks or drowned out by the score) I don't recall this being an issue I had with any of Nolan's films prior to TDKR with the infamously mocked Bane and it seems to have carried through to much of his subsequent work...

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but is Nolan doing this on purpose as a gimmick to encourage people to see the film more than once? Like figuring they will return to catch more of the dialogue they missed...or are we not supposed to be able to understand what they are saying in those moments? :?

Mark Kermode has also reviewed it:

lcbaseball22 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 1:40 am

Also, the sound mixing was an issue for me too. I don't understand why Nolan has been doing this with the almost unintelligible dialogue (often spoken through masks or drowned out by the score) I don't recall this being an issue I had with any of Nolan's films prior to TDKR with the infamously mocked Bane and it seems to have carried through to much of his subsequent work...

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but is Nolan doing this on purpose as a gimmick to encourage people to see the film more than once? Like figuring they will return to catch more of the dialogue they missed...or are we not supposed to be able to understand what they are saying in those moments? :?
Nolan is doing this on purpose. He doesn't want the viewer to be too invested in trying to understand it on first viewing. And more just being taken on the ride. However, you do lose some emotional depth, if you don't understand some aspects...

I notice that many people on this forum felt the sound mix was much better during their second viewing, feels strange that so many would just have seen the film in a better cinema.

Demoph wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 3:29 am
lcbaseball22 wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 1:40 am

Nolan is doing this on purpose. He doesn't want the viewer to be too invested in trying to understand it on first viewing. And more just being taken on the ride. However, you do lose some emotional depth, if you don't understand some aspects...

I notice that many people on this forum felt the sound mix was much better during their second viewing, feels strange that so many would just have seen the film in a better cinema.
Could be a psychological thing since they are going into the second viewing attuned to the fact that it demands paying close attention to the dialogue.

Speaking of I think I got a bit more of my answer in this dude's review -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCob9CMpiDM

I forgot that Nolan is adverse to ADR and similar to doing practical effects over CGI prefers to just capture whatever dialogue he gets in the moment. I applaud him for that, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that it creates a frustrating viewing experience at times, especially if it's during critical exposition.

I must admit, that Tenet not having "certified fresh" on RT is bugging me deeply.

It must hold that 75% or above to get that label. But i think it will stay under 75% so it will not get certified fresh label.

poplar wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 9:45 am
I must admit, that Tenet not having "certified fresh" on RT is bugging me deeply.
Again, why? What does it matter?

hamid1993ss wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:33 am
It must hold that 75% or above to get that label. But i think it will stay under 75% so it will not get certified fresh label.
It must be above 75% after 80 reviews. Then it be certified fresh. It only loose it if drops below 70%. I am guessing RT is waiting since they behave to early for joker and lot negative reviews came in and it went below 70%. Lot movies get 400-500 reviews now. Tenet still has another 200 reviews to come out. RT probably just wants a wait.

hamid1993ss wrote:
September 6th, 2020, 11:33 am
Interstellar has a 72% and is certified fresh. This should already be certified, and only loses it if it goes below 70%.

:roll:

These people are so mentally unwell.