[SPOILER] Discussion/Speculation Thread

Christopher Nolan's time inverting spy film that follows a protagonist fighting for the survival of the entire world.
If you think about it, the explosion is the center of the operation. The blue team starts at point of the explosion and back and scans the environment + possibly fight inverted Sator’s men. They get all the way down and when the countdown reaches zero they leave further back in the past, prepare a briefing with the intel and give it to the red team.

The red team then uses the intel to move forward and their “superficial goal” is to prevent from stopping the explosion. The real goal is to get the algorithm out of the dead drop.

It’s best to think of them as two separate timelines happening at once but in two different directions.

I also don’t get the complain about not seeing the enemy. They are there and we see them come out in numbers from the turnstile.

Neil could have waited and gave them the intel but he decides to switch and help directly. probably because he’s one of the few people who know about the algorithm (the real mission).

I guess what confused me slightly is how we inverted explosions while we’re in the forward POV with the protagonist. I guess there were inverted bombs and mines?

KEM
Tarssauce wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:21 pm
If you think about it, the explosion is the center of the operation. The blue team starts at point of the explosion and back and scans the environment + possibly fight inverted Sator’s men. They get all the way down and when the countdown reaches zero they leave further back in the past, prepare a briefing with the intel and give it to the red team.

The red team then uses the intel to move forward and their “superficial goal” is to prevent from stopping the explosion. The real goal is to get the algorithm out of the dead drop.

It’s best to think of them as two separate timelines happening at once but in two different directions.

I also don’t get the complain about not seeing the enemy. They are there and we see them come out in numbers from the turnstile.

Neil could have waited and gave them the intel but he decides to switch and help directly. probably because he’s one of the few people who know about the algorithm (the real mission).

I guess what confused me slightly is how we inverted explosions while we’re in the forward POV with the protagonist. I guess there were inverted bombs and mines?
So what actually causes the explosion?

KEM wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:26 pm
So what actually causes the explosion?
Sator’s men probably set up explosives. He gives them the algorithm to burry it and start the countdown. He goes to Vietnam. Past Kat would actually see him but I guess he didn’t care at that point since the world would’ve ended once he takes the pill.

What’s mind blowing to me is... even though Sir Michael Crosby tells The Protagonist about the explosion which at that time would’ve happened a week prior, that explosion is the one they were present at. If The Protagonist did absolutely nothing, Sator wouldn’t have gotten the last piece of the algorithm and the explosion wouldn’t have happened.

So if you try to draw it on line linearly, the explosions happens later in the film or what caused it came late in the story but it is present and is referenced before it even occurs. But really it happens on the same day of the opera siege. It’s crazy.

I don’t know if I’m able to articulate what is in my head or if any of what I’m saying makes sense.
I remember obsessing over möbius strips when the first trailer came out - thinking it might have been used somehow in the film or any of its ideas. I wonder if I could still find a connection now.
Last edited by Tarssauce on September 5th, 2020, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just had my third viewing. This time I noticed
Kat smeared the sunscreen on Sator’s back. Right before she shoots him, you can still see blotches of the sunscreen on his back, she really didn’t “finish” the sunscreen task. She just did it so that Sator would be easier to drag and slide across the deck after she shot him to toss him over the edge of the deck. :lol:

Nicewatch wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:39 pm
Kat smeared the sunscreen on Sator’s back. Right before she shoots him, you can still see blotches of the sunscreen on his back, she really didn’t “finish” the sunscreen task. She just did it so that Sator would be easier to drag and slide across the deck after she shot him to toss him over the edge of the deck. :lol:
Yes :lol:
She also spread some on the floor and kept wetting it with the shower head lol.

Tarssauce wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:42 pm
Nicewatch wrote:
Yes :lol:
She also spread some on the floor and kept wetting it with the shower head lol.
“Humorless disappointment” my ass.

Nicewatch wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 8:57 pm
“Humorless disappointment” my ass.
I’m gonna run before Vader reminds us one more time that humorless wasn’t used in the literal sense of the word.
I wanted to laugh when she squeezed the sunscreen bottle. Such an unexpected sound in such a tense moment in the film lol.

JDW had lots of funny lines in this. You can tell Nolan had lots of fun writing this.

Nicewatch wrote:
LOL, thanks man I never understood why she keeps spraying water on the ground and want to do a seemingly random choice of suggesting to apply sunlotion.

Tarssauce wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 9:05 pm
I’m gonna run before Vader reminds us one more time that humorless wasn’t used in the literal sense of the word.
I wanted to laugh when she squeezed the sunscreen bottle. Such an unexpected sound in such a tense moment in the film lol.

JDW had lots of funny lines in this. You can tell Nolan had lots of fun writing this.
That scene was great! The sound was kind of hilarious. :lol:

marshallmurphy wrote:
September 5th, 2020, 9:28 pm
That scene was great! The sound was kind of hilarious. :lol:
And that cold slam lol. The way the music stops...